• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond show

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The line was long as usual and it took 20 minutes to get in.
I saw the guys at the VCDL table, Proshooter and Grapeshot. That was the high point in the day.

The gouging was in full swing. It really makes me mad that so called gun people, jack up prices on guns and ammo 100% just because they can. I bought several boxes of Win .308 last night at Walmart...for $17.95. I ran across a fellow selling them for $35.00.
I doubt I'll get a Christmas card from him this year.

The fellow I buy brass from was still selling at his old prices so I got a few hundred 45LC cases, another thousand primers and a pound of powder. He didn't have any 444 cases though so I figured I wouldn't be able to load any .41 ghetto blasters, but I found a few hundred rounds of brass .410's. They'll work fine.

I found a reasonable price on 45/70 brass so I got a couple hundred of those cases.

.380's were unbelievable ...$35.00 to $50.00 per box...and people were buying them:shock:

AR's and AK's were just going sky high and I ran across a fellow who had an old S&W 28. He wanted $500.00:what:

Just unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ran into a fellow who had several thousand 45acp cases at home and wanted to sell them. I gave him my card and hopefully he'll call.

Dark Sun was there looking ugly...as usual... and many of the regulars that don't take advantage of the hysteria.

Goldie Glock

imported post

I beg to differ... The gun show was rather calm this morning... We got there about 9:00 and in the building by 9:30 ish.....The lasttime the show was at the showplace when we left the@ 11:00 the line was still down the walkway andturning outto the parking lot.... My husband took the ammo to the truck &the line was only at the door@ 10:00... when we left@ 11:00 no line at all......Some of those dealers should be ashamed of themselves...WWB 100's 9 mm from walmart which sell for $19.97were going for$36.00... 50 rounds of WWB 40'swhich sell for 16.97 were going for $30.00 Come on people.... I'm all forfree enterprises, but that's just a little greedy...If I go to Walmart and they have 2 cases I will only buy 6-8 boxes and leave something for the next person .....Georgia Arms seem to have a good supply of ammo... I think they came prepared... Someone I work with really likes Dark Sun and all I've heard is what jerks they are..... I had to go by and see for myself.... I've been really lucky I've purchased all of my guns from Golden & Zimmerman and it's been nothing but a very pleasant experience....:quirky

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I saw the guys at the VCDL table, Proshooter and Grapeshot. That was the high point in the day.
Peter, I'm gonna have to hurt you! I'll tell Zeus where you hid his favorite camera lenses.

Grapeshot & I were at the VCDL table wasting time/schmoozing/swapping stories with the official volunteers while we waited for Grapeshot's upper to magically appear. Calling me ProShooter insults both he and me - we don't look anything like each other.:p

Of course the vendors are selling what they have for what they can get - it's called free enterprise. Now if the masses would just realize the sky has not already fallen, maybe we could convince everybody that prices need to get back where they belong.

Although it creates personal PITAs for folks waiting to get in, long lines at the gun shows are a good thing. It means there is still discretionary money out there and that folks are showing where they want to spend their money.

And best of all, about 9 folks had signed up for VCDL memberships by the time I left at about 2:30PM. That's more than I can recall in a long time. We also had several new VCDL table volunteers working both the morning and afternoon shifts. I just hope I did not completely corrupt them.

stay safe.

skidmark

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Peter - good seeing you again today, as always. Keep up the good fight.

I sold 2 boxes of .380 last week for $60. Guess I missed my calling - coulda held out for $100so it seems. Maybe I should have gone into the ammo biz instead of training!:)

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:

I sold 2 boxes of .380 last week for $60. Guess I missed my calling - coulda held out for $100so it seems. Maybe I should have gone into the ammo biz instead of training!:)

BTW, I have dropped your name to a couple of folks.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

BTW, I have dropped your name to a couple of folks.
Thank you!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Goldie Glock wrote:
I beg to differ... The gun show was rather calm this morning... We got there about 9:00 and in the building by 9:30 ish.....The lasttime the show was at the showplace when we left the@ 11:00 the line was still down the walkway andturning outto the parking lot.... My husband took the ammo to the truck &the line was only at the door@ 10:00... when we left@ 11:00 no line at all......Some of those dealers should be ashamed of themselves...WWB 100's 9 mm from walmart which sell for $19.97were going for$36.00... 50 rounds of WWB 40'swhich sell for 16.97 were going for $30.00 Come on people.... I'm all forfree enterprises, but that's just a little greedy...If I go to Walmart and they have 2 cases I will only buy 6-8 boxes and leave something for the next person .....Georgia Arms seem to have a good supply of ammo... I think they came prepared... Someone I work with really likes Dark Sun and all I've heard is what jerks they are..... I had to go by and see for myself.... I've been really lucky I've purchased all of my guns from Golden & Zimmerman and it's been nothing but a very pleasant experience....:quirky

Maybe not quite as bad as last time...but close. But like Skidmark said...it really is a good thing.

line.jpg

Dragonfly

imported post

skidmark wrote:
And best of all, about 9 folks had signed up for VCDL memberships by the time I left at about 2:30PM. That's more than I can recall in a long time. We also had several new VCDL table volunteers working both the morning and afternoon shifts. I just hope I did not completely corrupt them.

stay safe.

skidmark
After you left, four or five more signed up, and yes I walked away this afternoon totally corrupted.

doug23838

imported post

Wow. That's a tall dude at the end of the line.

I think (hoping) that we're turning the corner on ammo prices. Lots of 5.56 and I didn't see it flying out at those prices. Some cat wanted $400 for 1000 9mm.

And I saw a vendor with boxes of Federal .22LR (550rd pack) for $20. Folks its $13 at Wally-world. However, I believe in charging what the market will bear. If they can get it, more power to 'em.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Goldie Glock wrote:

Welcome to our world Goldie Glock

Lots of good people, ideas and conversation here at OCDO.

Have you looked at VCDL - Virginia Citizens Defense League.
Consider joining or at least sign up for their Va-Alerts and keep up with what is happening in and around Virginia regarding the 2nd Amend.
http://www.vcdl.org/

Re: Dark Sun - glad your friend likes them. My personal experience is that the sun will turn dark before I spend another penny with them. I do not say that with any intended humor. I only chose to not pursue the issue because I thought it would be bad publicity for the show. I still have my list of witnesses. I did make a complaint to the show management who guessed correctly who was involved before I told them!

Yata hey

Armed

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Grapeshot & I were at the VCDL table wasting time/schmoozing/swapping stories with the official volunteers while we waited for Grapeshot's upper to magically appear....
One of these days, when my weekend off coincides with a gunshow, I really want to come hang out with you guys! I'm sure I will learn a lot, and wish I could do more to support the cause.

Thanks for being there for us all!

vt357

imported post

Well I will go against the grain a little here. I have made multiple purchases from Dark Sun in the past and will continue to do so. I had what I would consider a very positive customer service experience from them at the show this Sunday. I bought a new pistol and took it home. As I was going over it again I found a manufacturers defect. I called them up that evening and told them what was wrong and I brought it in to their shop the next day. They looked it over, took the gun back, and gave me a new one. They were courteous and helpful in resolving the issue. I won't hesitate to buy from them again. FWIW their price was also $70 cheaper than any other dealer there.

richarcm

imported post

People rationalize the gouging at the shows and online by stating that they can't find ammo ever at Walmart. I find it there almost every other time I go. I bought 6 boxes of 9mm yesterday after work. They also had 40 and even 357 Magnum.

I find people who buy up all of the ammo in order to rip people off because they are taking all that is available as scum. They always have a good excuse for selling rounds by the 1000s. Sorry if that offends anyone. But if that is your business...open a shop. Stop taking advantage of the ammo situation. You should be part of a team that is looking for solutions. Not finding an opportunity to make a dollar.

Just my opinion.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vt357 wrote:
Well I will go against the grain a little here. I have made multiple purchases from Dark Sun in the past and will continue to do so. I had what I would consider a very positive customer service experience from them at the show this Sunday. I bought a new pistol and took it home. As I was going over it again I found a manufacturers defect. I called them up that evening and told them what was wrong and I brought it in to their shop the next day. They looked it over, took the gun back, and gave me a new one. They were courteous and helpful in resolving the issue. I won't hesitate to buy from them again. FWIW their price was also $70 cheaper than any other dealer there.
I have to agree with you here. Although I have had "less-than-courteous" treatment at times, I have also gotten really good deals from these guys, esp. on mil-surp guns. Modern guns too: Last year they had Bersa .380s for $190 when Trader Jerry wanted $220. I'll put up with a little grumpiness if it saves me $40.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
vt357 wrote:
I have to agree with you here. Although I have had "less-than-courteous" treatment at times, I have also gotten really good deals from these guys, esp. on mil-surp guns. Modern guns too: Last year they had Bersa .380s for $190 when Trader Jerry wanted $220. I'll put up with a little grumpiness if it saves me $40.

To be fair and I hate doing that:lol:
In my experience, Dark Sun has good prices and with certain exceptions which I have not seen them do for a while, are honest.

I have NEVER heard of them being overly courteous and in fact, that's the reason I won't have anything to do with them, they're all a$$holes.

I'll put up with a little grumpiness if it saves me $40.

I won't!

Now people are muttering to themselves....but, but, your kind of an a$$hole...well, maybe, BUT...I;m not trying to sell you anything either:p

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

On the price gouging....there were some fair prices there. One of the OCDO members here and I can't remember his user name (One of those number people) with Va shooting sports, had fair prices on not only .380, but other ammo as well.

Feel free to jump in and remind you who you are:uhoh:

Goldie Glock

imported post

Just remember the dealers that have treated you fairly before this craziness started and continue to treat you fairly..... I saw a dealer at the show that had only raised his ammoprices afew dollars due to his increase in cost...There are some people out there looking to take advantage of this situtation.... I'm happy when I can go to walmart and find just one boxit truly makes my day.... :D

VaGunTrader

imported post

peter nap wrote:
On the price gouging....there were some fair prices there. One of the OCDO members here and I can't remember his user name (One of those number people) with Va shooting sports, had fair prices on not only .380, but other ammo as well.

Feel free to jump in and remind you who you are:uhoh:

That was me Peter. I had the .380 for $25/box of 50and .45acp for $20/box 50. Everyone who bought the .380 claimed the other guy had it for $45 a box.

Was nice meeeting you and chatting.

Marco

imported post

trx680 wrote: snip
peter nap wrote: snip
On the price gouging....there were some fair prices there. One of the OCDO members here had fair prices on not only .380, but other ammo as well.
I had the .380 for $25/box of 50and .45acp for $20/box 50.
I'm glad to hear not all are taking advantage.
At a recent meeting of 2A supporters I heard someone bragging about charging $70 a box for .380 @ a recent gun sshow.

Are people that stupid/desperate to pay that:question:

I never thoughthighly of this person before and this lowered my opinion of him even more.

ETA:
I don't shoot .380