• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My email alert from the Brady Campaign.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"Dear ****,
Please act quickly to keep our parks safe.

In the dead of night, the gun lobby snuck an amendment onto a bill in the U.S. Senate that allows people to carry loaded guns, including AK-47s, in national parks. We can't waste a minute to fight this amendment.

We already won this battle in court. The Obama Administration agreed not to appeal a federal judge's order barring guns in parks.

But that made the gun lobby mad. Now they are taking a sneaky legislative route to press their "guns for anyone, anywhere" agenda — even when it puts the safety of visitors to recreation areas at risk.

The amendment goes even further than the rule we stopped in court. It allows for both concealed and openly carried firearms, including AK-47s, in parks and wildlife refuges.

It's a foolish and dangerous amendment. I urgently need your help to stop it. Please give whatever you can right now.

The recent mass shootings — more than 50 people shot and killed in March and April — should be lesson enough for the Congress that we need stronger laws to keep our communities safe, not more guns in more places.

We have to defeat this amendment. I hope you will help today.

PixelServer
Sincerely,
12908.gif

Sarah Brady, Chair"

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"We already won this battle in court."

No, you found an activist judge and abused and exploited the judicial system.

I really hate to quote the Brady's, but we all need to be reminded of the the sinister deception of the anti-gunners.

Tekman

imported post

T Dubya wrote:

"We already won this battle in court."

No, you found an activist judge and abused and exploited the judicial system.

And I was understanding that it was not finalized yet either.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

trailblazer2003 wrote:
They sure do have hard-ons for AK's don't they? Why is it with anti's we are all going to shoulder AK's and walk the streets if we get our way?

I don't recall the bill saying anything at all about AK's or any other type of long gun.

More lies!!!! :banghead::X

Huck

imported post

But that made the gun lobby mad. Now they are taking asneaky legislative routeto press their "guns for anyone, anywhere" agenda — even when it puts the safety of visitors to recreation areas at risk.

That part had me chuckling, antis calling someone else "sneaky".

I don't recall the bill saying anything at all about AK's or any other type of long gun.

It didnt mention any type of firearm. The AK47 is the BB's boogyman. They always mention them to stir up PSH.

This is just more bleating from sheared sheeple. The Bradys have no clout of any kind so let 'em bleat.

thorvaldr

imported post

trailblazer2003 wrote:
They sure do have hard-ons for AK's don't they? Why is it with anti's we are all going to shoulder AK's and walk the streets if we get our way?
Maybe they've got a deal with Century Arms or something. All their whining sure makes me want to buy an AK. If this legislation passes, come and see me at Rocky Mountain National Park. I'll be there most weekends and you'll be able to recognize me because I'll be the one carrying an SKS on the ranger led nature hike.

thx997303

imported post

Hmm, very dramatic "in the dead of night"

How exactly would one do this "In the dead of night"?

I was pretty sure that they voted on the ammendment.

I think they should abandon the anti stuff and start a creative writing school.

Tekman

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Hmm, very dramatic "in the dead of night"

How exactly would one do this "In the dead of night"?

I was pretty sure that they voted on the ammendment.

I think they should abandon the anti stuff and start a creative writing school.

They broke in, voted and snuck out stopping only to spray paint some grafitti and TP the trees out front ;)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lol, "including AK-47s!!!"

I would genuinely like to know exactly what is so magically special about the AK-47 to the Brady Bunch. It has a status with them, as though it's the epitome of destructive power or something absurd. I'll point out that the only other groups who are well known for demonstrating such exaggerated obsession with AK-47s are gangstas and 3rd world countries. Maybe they should all hang out.

I mean, let's be real, what exactly is one going to use an AK-47 for in National Parks? Guerilla warfare? Target practice?

And what is a realistic threat model for gun crimes in National Parks? My guess is, primarily poaching. Which means the guns the Brady Bunch does claim to be OK with (bolt-action "sporting rifles") are likely to be the biggest offenders. WTF does an AK-47 have to do with any of that?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marshaul wrote:
And what is a realistic threat model for gun crimes in National Parks? My guess is, primarily poaching. Which means the guns the Brady Bunch does claim to be OK with (bolt-action "sporting rifles") are likely to be the biggest offenders. WTF does an AK-47 have to do with any of that?
I would think that more wildlife is taken by poachers with archery equipment than with firearms. One would be less likely to be caught due to the silence of bow and arrow. A few years ago there was a pro big game hunter/guide that sold video of his archery hunting adventures. Those same videos got him busted when park rangers recognized the terrain where he was taking elk, inside a NP.

Don Barnett

imported post

I signed up for the Brady e-mail alerts, but my e-mail address has a combination of my name and my favorite brand of firearm. They came twice, then mysteriously quit coming.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
marshaul wrote:
I would think that more wildlife is taken by poachers with archery equipment than with firearms. One would be less likely to be caught due to the silence of bow and arrow. A few years ago there was a pro big game hunter/guide that sold video of his archery hunting adventures. Those same videos got him busted when park rangers recognized the terrain where he was taking elk, inside a NP.
Good point.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
marshaul wrote
I mean, let's be real, what exactly is one going to use an AK-47 for in National Parks? Guerilla warfare? Target practice?
Every time I go to the Uwharrie National Forrest I have a few AK's with me.  Nice range there, too.
Right. And is target practice illegal, or otherwise a problem?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I sent a reply.

"Yeah. Ain't it great!"

Haven't come off their e-mail list yet, but I expect to.

KansasMustang

imported post

Hmm just wondering if the Brady Bunch would see my HK91 and call it an AK47 too? Guess I'll have to carry it in a National Park and see if they get all upset?
Keep your powder dry !