• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you as fast as you think you are?

jeeper1

imported post

I know I am not. Even though I was alert and expecting
something to happen, I was too slow.
I was out riding my mobility scooter on the Olympic
Discovery Trail today.I was going slowly down a steep
grade when I saw a man with a large black dog on a leash
coming towards me. I slowed and stopped before I got to them.
I talked with the man for a minute then started on my way,
instantly the dog attacked me and bit and tore my jacket.
At that point the man shocked the dog and it released it's grip.
The man asked if I had been bit and I showed him the torn seam,
the hole and tear caused by the dogs teeth and the dog slobber.
The man didn't apologize or or offer to reimburse me for my jacket. That's when he told me about the shock collar. I left at that point.

As I look back at the incident I came to this conclusion, open
carrying would not have helped as where the dog bit my jacket is
where my pistol would have been had I been open carrying instead
of concealed carrying (I was planning to stop at Costco on the
way home).
Apparently I need to carry a pistol on each side of my
body in case my primary carry pistol is not accessible.
Even though I was alert the dog was much faster than I.
Also Costco trips need to be separate trips from any other trips.

PT111

imported post

OC may not have helped but that fellow would be paying for a new jacket and the dog would stay in his yard or be destroyed.Someone who puts a shock collar on a dog to walk him is admitting that he has a dangerous and viscous animal and is ripe for a lawsuit. Now would be a good time for it before the idiot and his dog actually harm or kill someone.

Ajetpilot

imported post

PT111 wrote:
OC may not have helped but that fellow would be paying for a new jacket and the dog would stay in his yard or be destroyed.Someone who puts a shock collar on a dog to walk him is admitting that he has a dangerous and viscous animal and is ripe for a lawsuit. Now would be a good time for it before the idiot and his dog actually harm or kill someone.

I totally disagree. I always have a shock collar on my male dog, because if he gets out of voice/whistle range while hunting, or even just walking at the dog park, I can "beep" him back (I haven't had to "zip" him for years). Almost every bird dog I've hunted over has worn a shock collar. They are amazing training tools, and are used extensively.

The mere presence of a shock collar does not indicate that the dog is scary or vicious, just as the mere presence of a holstered gun does not indicate that the person wearing the firearm is dangerous.

cdjspider

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
The mere presence of a shock collar does not indicate that the dog is scary or vicious, just as the mere presence of a holstered gun does not indicate that the person wearing the firearm is dangerous.
Exactly.

joeroket

imported post

cdjspider wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote: 
Exactly.

+2. On a side note I know damned well I am not very fast in a mobility scooter. ;)

PT111

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
PT111 wrote:

I totally disagree. I always have a shock collar on my male dog, because if he gets out of voice/whistle range while hunting, or even just walking at the dog park, I can "beep" him back (I haven't had to "zip" him for years). Almost every bird dog I've hunted over has worn a shock collar. They are amazing training tools, and are used extensively.

That may be your opinion but working with enough lawyers through enough lawsuits has convinced me otherwise. If your dog bites someone while wearing a shock collar you might as well pay up immediately. The first thing is never call it a shock collar, call it a training collar or something not related to forced behavior for a mature animal. When the lawyers and jury get through with your shock collar you will wish you had never seen one. Regardless of the collar the dog owner would still be paying for a new jacket and the dog would be under survalence for a few days if he attacked me.

As to comparing it to a holstered gun shouldn't you be comparing it to a regular collar or a holster that has a lock and someone else the key. Comparing a shock collar to a holster is not a good comparision at all.

KBCraig

imported post

I don't care if you're on a scooter, or are an Olympic sprinter, whether you're Bob Munden or someone who would have to blow the dust off your .38 before shooting, nobody is fast enough to beat a dog unless you start engaging at shotgun range.