• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st OC, in Waffle House of all places (longish)

mahkagari

imported post

I've OC'd back and forth to the range and carried in my vehicle, but haven't had a full day of OC till today with the BBQ.

Got up early to go to Sportsman's and try to get some powder and primers. Long shot, I know, but they were giving away up to $100 gift cards to the first 300 people. Opted to leave my S&W Model 59 9mm in the car as the girls were hungry for (more) breakfast and I didn't want to deal with Sportsman's check-it-if-you're-servicing-it-carry-it-if-you're-shopping policy their employees can never get straight.

Wore my holster, though. First thing I acclimated to was to not carry my 2yo on my right side. I can hold her so she's not sitting on the gun, but realized that does me no good if I have to draw.

Got a $5 card which at least covered gas. Busted on powder and primer. Talked to the gun counter aboutsupplies and shopped for primer pocket cleaners and camping season stuff. Didn't see anything I couldn't live without. Hardly got a look except for one little girl who was staring at me and my daughters for some other odd reason.

Waffle House is on our way to many places so it's one of our Daddy-daughter hangouts. The girls love sitting at the counter to eat their waffles. :D It's also one of the places I go regularly that I'd feel more comfortable carrying.

One time as we stood up to leave, a kid burst through the door with sagging pants and his hands in the front of his shirt. I switched to High Orange and had an image flash of dropping to my knee andthrowing the girls behind me while drawing and felt my muscles move that direction....except I wasn't carrying. D'oh. Turned out it was an employee picking up his check.

We went inside and told the hostess we would sit at the counter. I sat between the girls slightly turned so I could see the door. Busy morning. Found myself in High Yellow the whole time, switching to Orange every time someone walked by. Made it hard to pay attention to the food....which wasn't all that great a loss.

Only saw a couple people notice my gun and no one jumpy about it. The hostess, a sweet little old lady, did approach me and said "Why do you carry a gun?"

I smiled and said "Self-defense" with a "What else would I carry it for?" shrug. She said, "So, you're not an FBI agent or anything?" I laughed and said no andwent back to helpingmy younger daughter cut her waffle.

Sheepdog1

imported post

The first time I oc'd, me and some buddies were in Parump NV. after a day of defensive handgun training, and wedidn't have ourNV. ccw, so we exercised our oc right. We went to dinner in a local restaurant, and the only funny looks we got was from a few fellow classmates who must have thought we just forgot to removeour side arms...:lol: SoI have just put out the word to my fellow local2a lovers for a weekly oc lunch??? One has replied so far and totally stoked..