• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you're ever caught without a voice recorder

Max

imported post

I know that the New Hampshire service you mentioned is supported by donations. I do not think it would be appropriate to use that service without getting the owners permission first. It was set up to assist people in New Hampshire, not the rest of the country. Why run the risk of pissing off fellow liberty lovers?

Just my opinion.

eleuthera

imported post

It won't cost them a dime more, and if you're really in trouble, maybe you'll make a donation after using their service :)

I very much doubt they'd begrudge a fellow freedom fighter.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

Max wrote:
I know that the New Hampshire service you mentioned is supported by donations. I do not think it would be appropriate to use that service without getting the owners permission first. It was set up to assist people in New Hampshire, not the rest of the country. Why run the risk of pissing off fellow liberty lovers?

Just my opinion.
It is an excellent idea. I wonder if the system could be overloaded if too many people are using it. It would not take too much to replicate the system and make another one available to members of this group. A serious advantage over a voice recorder is that the recording goes off site and is sent to a number of people immediately. The recording can not be "accidentally broken" or "lost". The hat is a really good idea as well, as it gives notice, which is required in some states. I was thinking of setting up a system such as this for myself and a few friends, but I have not gone past the research stage.

semperfiws6

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The message you get before it starts recording says that you need to inform others who are being recorded. Is this true? Doesnt matter either way, just curious.

I also dont think that they would have a problem with someone from another state using their service. I think that is what they are there for. If I ever had to use it, I would not mind making a contribution.

PT111

imported post

semperfiws6 wrote:
The message you get before it starts recording says that you need to inform others who are being recorded. Is this true? Doesnt matter either way, just curious.

I also dont think that they would have a problem with someone from another state using their service. I think that is what they are there for. If I ever had to use it, I would not mind making a contribution.
If you are recording over the telephone I would say yes. Wasn't that one of the things with Monica Lewinski where she recorded the her conversations with Bill and they werew going to charge here. Or at least there was some high profile case where this came into play.

eleuthera

imported post

Not true - we're under WI state law. As long as you're party to the conversation, you can record whatever you'd like.

eleuthera

imported post

If the person who records the wire, electronic, or oral communication is a party to the conversation or has obtained prior consent from one party, he may lawfully record and divulge the contents of the communication, unless he does so for the purpose of committing a criminal or tortious act. Wis. Stat. § 968.31.

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of “oral communication,” Wis. Stat. § 968.27.

Wisconsin law expressly authorizes civil damages for violations and allows recovery of the greater of actual damages, $100 for each day of violation or $1,000, along with punitive damages, litigation costs, and attorney fees. Wis. Stat. § 968.31.

Recording a communication without consent is criminally punishable by up to six years in prison and/ or a $10,000 fine. Wis. Stat.§ 939.50.

PT111

imported post

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of “oral communication,” Wis. Stat. § 968.27.
In the description you are giving it would be the taping of a telephone conversation which would not be "non-electronic" communication. My be best to ask a lawyer about it though.