Thread: Handgun trade laws

Post imported post

I'm considering trading for a Kimber. My understanding (limited it may be) of Michigan handgun law is as follows:

18:
    Purchase rifle/own handgun

21:
    Purchase handgun

Is trading (it will be shipped to a FFL) for the handgun still considered a purchase?

Post imported post

If you get it transferred from out of state, or though an FFL, you must be 21. Regardless of which method, you must go to your local county building or sheriff department for an "Application and license to purchase a pistol" Where you will take the test as well as have a background test (I'm not 100% on that)

This is just my understanding, I could be mistaken. It's easy to research.

Post imported post

Trading involves two purchases. One is the FFL or whoever purchases your gun from you and two, you purchasing a gun from the FFL or whoever. No you can't get around the law by calling it a trade. This is for handguns, cars, land etc.

The floor is now open for rebuttals from the experts.

Post imported post

Sounds like what I suspected was true. Thanks guys. )

Post imported post

This is correct, a trade is a "quasi" purchase.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

sre1669 wrote:
    I'm considering trading for a Kimber. My understanding (limited it may be) of Michigan handgun law is as follows:

18:
    Purchase rifle/own handgun

21:
    Purchase handgun

Is trading (it will be shipped to a FFL) for the handgun still considered a purchase?
    18 to purchase a rifle from a FFL dealer/ to be able to purchase a handgun from a private party.

If you are 18 or over you may trade/purchase from a private party with the permit to purchase issued by your police department.
    Just figure out a way to leave the FFL out of it.

Post imported post

alright here is the question do i need a purches permit to buy a gun from a privete owner if i hav a cpl?

Post imported post

cabman1 wrote:
    alright here is the question do i need a purches permit to buy a gun from a privete owner if i hav a cpl?
    No.

But you do have to fill out the proper forms & mail them into the local police.

Post imported post

Leader wrote:
    cabman1 wrote:
    No.

But you do have to fill out the proper forms & mail them into the local police.
    This form can be printed from here:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

thank you dr todd