• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun trade laws

sre1669

imported post

I'm considering trading for a Kimber. My understanding (limited it may be) of Michigan handgun law is as follows:

18:
Purchase rifle/own handgun

21:
Purchase handgun

Is trading (it will be shipped to a FFL) for the handgun still considered a purchase?

BreakingTheMold

imported post

If you get it transferred from out of state, or though an FFL, you must be 21. Regardless of which method, you must go to your local county building or sheriff department for an "Application and license to purchase a pistol" Where you will take the test as well as have a background test (I'm not 100% on that)

This is just my understanding, I could be mistaken. It's easy to research.

PT111

imported post

Trading involves two purchases. One is the FFL or whoever purchases your gun from you and two, you purchasing a gun from the FFL or whoever. No you can't get around the law by calling it a trade. This is for handguns, cars, land etc.

The floor is now open for rebuttals from the experts.

Leader

imported post

sre1669 wrote:
I'm considering trading for a Kimber. My understanding (limited it may be) of Michigan handgun law is as follows:

18:
Purchase rifle/own handgun

21:
Purchase handgun

Is trading (it will be shipped to a FFL) for the handgun still considered a purchase?

18 to purchase a rifle from a FFL dealer/ to be able to purchase a handgun from a private party.

If you are 18 or over you may trade/purchase from a private party with the permit to purchase issued by your police department.
Just figure out a way to leave the FFL out of it.