Thread: El Paso County Parks Ban prior to 2003?

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Post imported post

I want to carry in El Paso County Parks which exist around my residence, but after looking at their website for regulations, I have come across a weapons ban on all parks:

(see page 7)

http://adm.elpasoco.com/NR/rdonlyres...egulations.pdf

(The URL shows them to be from 2003, but there is no official date on them)

It basically says no guns are allowed loaded or unloaded. There is also some junk at the end that basically says even if its wrong they will not repeal it.

Now here is my dilemma:

Based upon the below referenced statutes, when I enter the park and I do not see a regulation at the entrance, am I legally in the clear to carry?

29-11.7-103
    A local government may not enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, or possess under state or federal law. Any such ordinance, regulation, or other law enacted by a local government prior to March 18, 2003, is void and unenforceable.
    29-11.7-104
    A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

Post imported post

If every entrance to the park isn't posted against OC then you are good to go.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

Post imported post

PikesPeakMtnMan wrote:
    If every entrance to the park isn't posted against OC then you are good to go.
    Sweet. I believe that no entrances are posted. Thanks for the assurance.

Post imported post

They actually used to have some of the entrances posted. But they replaced a bunch of old signs a few years ago. Since then, I haven't seen any signs anywhere prohibiting guns.

Post imported post

Doesn't apply. State Preemption rendered them invalid.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Cool beans. Thanks guys.