• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transport Question

maverick2694

imported post

Hello all,

Let me introduce myself, I am active duty Navy and live in Norfolk with my wife and daughter. My home town is in Yadkin County, NC. After discovering this site a couple months ago, I began open carrying. So far, I have only carried in Va., but my daughter's first b-day is this coming Saturday, and we are traveling back home to NC.

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything about it. So, I would like to open carry on the drive, and I know that in Va. I can legally carry with no problem, but once I cross the state line will I have to lock the pistol in it's case or will I be OK to keep carrying since NC is also an OC state?

Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice.

-Chris

maverick2694

imported post

Thanks for the reply. I fully understand about keeping the pistol in plain sight, and have fixed a holster with velcro to my dash just for that purpose. My main question is about interstate travel, and the legality of having the firearm not locked in a case.

-Chris

ocgso

imported post

You may open carry in the state of NC, regardless of what state your license was issued by. You do not have to be a resident of this state to enjoy its freedoms.

You must ensure that the gun is plainly visible (ie not on your hip), but that is no big deal, as it seems you already have this covered.

I keep mine in a holster on my right hand side and remove it if I approach a traffic stop or if I were to be pulled over.

NC doesn't require anything crazy either (like the firearm being 2 actions from firing, noround chambered, etc.) Carry itjust like you do in VA and you will be perfectly fine.

Enjoy your trip.

wdprice3

imported post

^you sure about the two action policy? Every LEO I've talked to said that the two-action policy is what they used.

That means, without your CCP, you could store a pistol in a LOCKED glove box/center console, since it takes more than two actions to gain access. Not saying this is the smartest thing to do, however.

As for non-CCP, OC in NC, just keep it on the dash or on the front passenger seat. If not there, locked up and out-of-reach of the driver (no need to separate ammo & pistol, etc)

ocgso

imported post

Locked away out of reach and unloaded is the federal firearms transport law, and the one that will keep you out of jail in states like New York and Maryland.

In NC, you do not have to keep your firearm locked up as long as you 1) have a CCH permit, or 2) have it in plain sight at all times.

For those who don't have a permit, keep in sight at all times and you will be fine. Occassionally an uninformed LEO will hassle you, but the law is on your side.

Mr. Glock

imported post

If I am transporting my weapon from North Carolina to Vermont lets say, and I were to be pulled over in New York by state troopers, and have a valid CCW permit from NC. Although, I know that New York doesn't honor my permit. Remember, I mean the city as well because when you take I-95 North, you pass through Manhattan, Bronx and continue through the New England Thruway. The troopers open the trunk and find the weapon, though I was following the Federal Transport Law, would I be arrested? I know they have to have probable cause, but worse case scenario what would be the outcome?

JDriver1.8t

imported post

worst case, they arrest you and throw all sorts of BS charges.

But, if you are going to travel, and have it locked in the car, separate from ammo, then they have no grounds for anything.

ocgso

imported post

Mr. Glock wrote:
If I am transporting my weapon from North Carolina to Vermont lets say, and I were to be pulled over in New York by state troopers, and have a valid CCW permit from NC, Although, I know that New York doesn't honor my permit. Remember I mean the city as well because when you take I95 North you pass through Manhattan, Bronx and continue through the New England Thruway. The Troopers open the drunk and find the weapon though I was following the Federal Transport Law, would I be arrested? I know they have to have probable cause, but worse case scenario what would be the outcome?

If you have the firearm in the trunk, unloaded, and locked, they cannot do anything. You are following federal firearms laws which supercede state/city laws (even though I am sure the NY trooper HATES that).

This is why there needs to bea federal CCH permit system that requires reciprocity nationwide. Only a handful of states are opposed, with beloved NY being one of them (afraid of all us honest folks):uhoh:

The biggest issue with NY is that it cuts the rest of new england off if you are traveling to somewhere like VT.