• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My 2¢ on alcohol and guns

Louisiana Carry

imported post

I carry 100% of the time.

I have a glass of wine as many days as I can, though admittedly that is not often. Sometimes two over a period of a couple hours.

I draw the line at about .04-05% BAC, I reckon.

To say that drinking and being armed 100% don't mix, and then to drink anyway, is to say that your life/ability to marshal the most effective self defense possible is less important than a measly couple of beers.

Wouldn't you feel silly to spend huge amounts of money and energy on weapons and training and then have possibly the one home invasion/carjacking of your whole life to happen when you were voluntarily disarmed over a glass of wine??

I never get drunk- I don't have any interest in it. Losing control of yourself is dumb in its own regard. I am purely speaking of a glass of wine or a beer (like I said earlier, .04-.05% BAC). My advice in regards to being drunk- don't do it, regardless of other topics.

Anyway, I am not going to neglect my family's safety by foregoing my ability to defend them over a glass of wine which barely impairs my reaction times. A well trained and practiced shooter is faster and more accurate at .05% BAC than 90% of the population stone sober.

The question boils down to- is your life worth a beer? That's what a zero tolerance for alcohol & guns rule means- making that decision if you drink.

I am not condemning those who have that mindset- I understand there are otherwise intelligent people who have shot themselves while drinking. To each his own. However, I submit that the proper solution is not to slingshot back to the opposite end of the spectrum- at least for most. For those who have a zero tolerance rule- I would think the best choice would always be to never drink. Some people may not be able to only have one glass of beer or two and then stop. If that is you- then, by all means, lock up your guns. They're not going to do you any good, anyway.

Each person must evaluate their own capabilities and weaknesses. I am not telling anyone else what to do. For me, though- life is for living, and a glass of Merlot with a fillet Marsala is one of life's high points, and I will neither forsake that nor my status as an armed citizen.

turbodog

imported post

If I may move over here for a quick reply.....

Well said LC.

A glass of wine or a beer isn't something I object to. I have indulged in the same myself. One of such is my limit while carrying a firearm and even then is imbibed only at home.

In public I don't touch alcohol while carrying. Like you, I don't get drunk. Also like you, I don't feel it's worth the loss of abilities and if one was open carrying, it presents a negative image of gun owners/carriers to the public.

PT111

imported post

Common sense seems to be in short supply nowdays. The phrase alcohol and guns don't mix is true but neither does alcohol and driving or many alcohol and many other things. The problem of overdoing it is where the trouble comes in and having a glass of wine or beer with your meal or even socially is not a problem. Now having a beer or twelve does but it isn't the beer, it is how someone reacts after having a few. I have seen both sides and it is amozing how some people react to having a few drinks. Some almost seem to use it as an excuse to screw up, be obnoxious, or just plain mean. As someone said a drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

The zero tolerance for guns and alcohol is fine and if you have to defend youself it can be a problem if you have had a drink. However there are so many other things that will also be a problem. To me it is a personal decision but never get drunk while carrying or even playing around with guns and daggoneit if you realize that you are drunk then you probably were a long time before you realized it.

Just remember that phrase that you often hear the sheriff utter when talking about some arrest just made involving a fight or accident or similar, "Alcohol was involved".

sraacke

imported post

Lc,

Well said. Personally I don't drink so I never have the problems you mention. The point is I agree that common sense should be used. It seems that you have a pretty good viewpoint on on the whole subject.

LouisianaAKman

imported post

Hey LC, haven't seen you in a while, personally, when I carry, I have a zero intake position. I love to have an occassional beer or three, but never when I carry. If there here to be a SHTF situation and I had to use my weapon to defend myself or other innocents, you can bet I would have to be tested for alcohol. When judged by 12, alcohol showing up in my system is bad juju. even if my alcohol content is below the .05 level, it just wouldn't look good. I agree that a glass of wine or a couple of beers isn't that big of a deal, but I don't want to leave anytrhing to chance if judged by a Jury.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

LouisianaAKman wrote:
Hey LC, haven't seen you in a while, personally, when I carry, I have a zero intake position. I love to have an occassional beer or three, but never when I carry. If there here to be a SHTF situation and I had to use my weapon to defend myself or other innocents, you can bet I would have to be tested for alcohol. When judged by 12, alcohol showing up in my system is bad juju. even if my alcohol content is below the .05 level, it just wouldn't look good. I agree that a glass of wine or a couple of beers isn't that big of a deal, but I don't want to leave anytrhing to chance if judged by a Jury.

That's cool. Whatever works for you.

For me, I just think it would be silly to carry and train and practice my whole life and then to have the possibly one time I actually need it to be when I was voluntarily disarmed. It would be tantamount to saying my life isn't worth more than three beers.

LouisianaAKman

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
LouisianaAKman wrote:

That's cool. Whatever works for you.

For me, I just think it would be silly to carry and train and practice my whole life and then to have the possibly one time I actually need it to be when I was voluntarily disarmed. It would be tantamount to saying my life isn't worth more than three beers.
that's why I drink at home, I am not being holier than thou by any means, lol, but I have seen some jury decisions that just blow away any common sense. Soon my CCW permit will be in and at that point I will always be armed, so drinking at home is all I will do at that point.