• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Golden Corral's firearms polcy straight from the Director of Company Relations

Dianosis

imported post

Mr. Jones,
Thank you for submitting your request. I am writing in response to your questions about firearms in Golden Corral. As a private restaurant, Golden Corral has the right to set policies such as not allowing weapons in the store, unless carried by a member of law enforcement. It is our policy that we do not allow firearms in the restaurant. In an effort to make sure that all our guests feel comfortable dining in our restaurant we have set up this policy. Your group is certainly welcome to have some space reserved at the restaurant; we would just ask that you please leave your firearms in your vehicle.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Respectfully,

Scott Schaberg
Director of Company Relations
Golden Corral Corporation
P.O. Box 29502
Raleigh, NC 27626

And my reply:

Mr. Schaberg,
Thanks for the response. I appreciate your time. While I don’t necessarily agree with this policy I will respect it. However, it is doubtful I visit any of your restaurants in the future, as I now feel unsafe. You indicated in your response, you make an “effort to make sure that all our guests feel comfortable dining in our restaurant”. I would suggest to you that your policy makes me and a lot if others feel uncomfortable. Have you ever considered that with this policy your basically letting the “bad guys” know that anyone in the restaurant is defenseless and essentially are open targets. You are not only denying a person their right to defend themselves, you are undermining the very freedom that the constitution protects. Some states, probably even some that you have restaurants in, have laws prohibiting public places from restricting firearms for the purpose of defense. I promise you the “bad guy” that enters your establishment with the intent to do harm, does not care about your policy. What then will happen to all the defenseless patrons who have followed your policy and tried to make everyone “comfortable”?

I only ask that if you are truly putting forth an effort to make your customers feel comfortable, then you do so for ALL your customers, and look at it from both sides. Not everyone who carries gun is a bad guy and law enforcement cannot be everywhere. As an fyi, I will be posting a copy of your policy on the forums of the web site: http://www.opencarry.org so the thousands of members there will not inadvertently violate your policy and so they can decide if they to want to continue to visit your establishment under the current policy.

I do sincerely thank you for taking the time to get back with me and it is my hope at least some of my comments made some sense. I do enjoy your food and would love to return when I am welcome, when I can feel safe.
Respectfully, Jason Jones

GWbiker

imported post

The two Golden Corrals in Tucson are not posted and so I OC on each visit. Some times when it's extremely crowded I CC. My experience is I've not encountered any problems from management/staff or comments from fellow patrons.

I wish to point out, I do not ask permission from a restaurant manager in Arizona as to whether or not I can OC or CC a gun in their establishment -- I just do it. All they can do is ask me to leave and thus far THAT has not happened.

If state law allows you to OC/CC a hand gun in a restaurant and prior to entering you ask permission from management, the odds are you will be refused.

Seems I've read this line somewhere: "Don't ask - don't tell".

Dianosis

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
If state law allows you to OC/CC a hand gun in a restaurant and prior to entering you ask permission from management, the odds are you will be refused.

Thats the ironic thing, I have OC'd there more than once and never had a problem. The reason I was asking was for an event I'm planning, and was trying to do the respectfull thing and ask before a large group of people came in all oc'ing.

But, I am starting to look at things differently especially when I am just trying to be nice and respectfull. I'm getting tired of "asking" if I can exercise my rights.

UtahRSO

imported post

A group of us in Utah (some members of OCDO, some of UtahConcealedCarry.com, many members of both sites) have held some of our monthly get-togethers at Golden Corral. Of course we were carrying openly. We were not just tolerated, we were made very welcome.

GWbiker

imported post

Dianosis wrote:
GWbiker wrote:

Thats the ironic thing, I have OC'd there more than once and never had a problem. The reason I was asking was for an event I'm planning, and was trying to do the respectfull thing and ask before a large group of people came in all oc'ing.

But, I am starting to look at things differently especially when I am just trying to be nice and respectfull. I'm getting tired of "asking" if I can exercise my rights
Sorry, i didn't know you were planning a group OC event. Have you gone into the GC restaurant you frequent and spoken privately with the manager? Corporate offices usually run scared when guns are mentioned -- something to do with lawyers - :uhoh:

Two weeks ago I attended an OC Golden Corral Buffet in Glendale/Phoenix area. I don't recall who organized the event, but this GC manager knew well in advance that 30 or so persons with handguns would arrive for dinner. We were seated in a back room.

Check the Arizona state link and skim down a bit for perhaps more useful info...

Dianosis

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
Dianosis wrote:
GWbiker wrote:

But, I am starting to look at things differently especially when I am just trying to be nice and respectfull. I'm getting tired of "asking" if I can exercise my rights
Sorry, i didn't know you were planning a group OC event. Have you gone into the GC restaurant you frequent and spoken privately with the manager?
Ya, actually spoke to him first, he said he thought it was against policy, when I pushed alittle further he indicated he was uncertain. So I emailed them directly.

My initial plan was to try and have breakfast then do a litter pickup. But after getting some advice from Mike Stollenwirk, a small successful event is the goal. The less complicated the better.

AZkopper

imported post

impulse418 wrote:
Meh, golden corral sucks.

+1000.

I do not eat at "restaurants"* that keep food out under heat lamps, serve you on plastic trays, and seat you at plastic tables, all under flourecent lighting.

Besides, who wants steak, pizza and spaghetti all on the same plate?

*I do not consider McD's and the like "restaurants". they are "Fast Food"

impulse

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
impulse418 wrote:
Meh, golden corral sucks.

+1000.

I do not eat at "restaurants"* that keep food out under heat lamps, serve you on plastic trays, and seat you at plastic tables, all under flourecent lighting.

Besides, who wants steak, pizza and spaghetti all on the same plate?

*I do not consider McD's and the like "restaurants". they are "Fast Food"
No, they are "Count the tile on the bathroom floor a thousand times" food places.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

We have had about 4 OC dinners at Golden Corral in Chesapeake and no problems. The manager has always invited us to come back.

We haven't had any real negative reactions and a few positive ones. I'll continue to oc at GC until I'm asked to leave.

N00blet45

imported post

Here's a suggestion (no sarcasm or negative connotation intended). Next time just plan the event and go to the restaurant, as long as it isn't posted, without asking before hand. Then if they have a problem you and all the people who showed up could all leave together.

Imagine the message that would send if 10+ decent folk with their families walked out of the restaurant without spending a dime. I think it's a much more effective tactic than asking for permission.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
Here's a suggestion (no sarcasm or negative connotation intended). Next time just plan the event and go to the restaurant, as long as it isn't posted, without asking before hand. Then if they have a problem you and all the people who showed up could all leave together.

Imagine the message that would send if 10+ decent folk with their families walked out of the restaurant without spending a dime. I think it's a much more effective tactic than asking for permission.
Suggest testing the water with a friend to see what reaction to OCing is at a new restaurant location. If good, then plan your event. Works for us in Richmond and our groups of up to 30 have never been refused service. We never ask permission to carry or point out that we do so.

BTW - I OC in Golden Corral at least once a month without incident.

Yata hey

imported post

My wife, mother and I frequent GC on South Sherwood Forest in Baton Rouge, no one's ever said a word to me about OC'ing in there, ever.
Yes, having 10 or more folks all stand up together and walk out DOES speak volumes, moreso than an email box full of comments. In today's economy, such a walkout would be noticed, especially with a followup letter to our boy Scott, letting him know. He could easily confirm it took place, too.
In the meantime, I'll continue to visit them until such time as they ask us to leave, which we will, informing them on the way out we will NOT return.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Dianosis wrote:
Mr. Jones,
Thank you for submitting your request. I am writing in response to your questions about firearms in Golden Corral. As a private restaurant, Golden Corral has the right to set policies such as not allowing weapons in the store, unless carried by a member of law enforcement. It is our policy that we do not allow firearms in the restaurant. In an effort to make sure that all our guests feel comfortable dining in our restaurant we have set up this policy. Your group is certainly welcome to have some space reserved at the restaurant; we would just ask that you please leave your firearms in your vehicle.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Respectfully,

Scott Schaberg
Director of Company Relations
Golden Corral Corporation
P.O. Box 29502
Raleigh, NC 27626

And my reply:

Mr. Schaberg,
Thanks for the response. I appreciate your time. While I don’t necessarily agree with this policy I will respect it. However, it is doubtful I visit any of your restaurants in the future, as I now feel unsafe. You indicated in your response, you make an “effort to make sure that all our guests feel comfortable dining in our restaurant”. I would suggest to you that your policy makes me and a lot if others feel uncomfortable. Have you ever considered that with this policy your basically letting the “bad guys” know that anyone in the restaurant is defenseless and essentially are open targets. You are not only denying a person their right to defend themselves, you are undermining the very freedom that the constitution protects. Some states, probably even some that you have restaurants in, have laws prohibiting public places from restricting firearms for the purpose of defense. I promise you the “bad guy” that enters your establishment with the intent to do harm, does not care about your policy. What then will happen to all the defenseless patrons who have followed your policy and tried to make everyone “comfortable”?

I only ask that if you are truly putting forth an effort to make your customers feel comfortable, then you do so for ALL your customers, and look at it from both sides. Not everyone who carries gun is a bad guy and law enforcement cannot be everywhere. As an fyi, I will be posting a copy of your policy on the forums of the web site: http://www.opencarry.org so the thousands of members there will not inadvertently violate your policy and so they can decide if they to want to continue to visit your establishment under the current policy.

I do sincerely thank you for taking the time to get back with me and it is my hope at least some of my comments made some sense. I do enjoy your food and would love to return when I am welcome, when I can feel safe.
Respectfully, Jason Jones

Do you KNOW how many OC Meets/Dinners we have had a Golden Corral here in Utah. Even with Our Attorney Mitch Vilos talking to us about gun laws. We have been as many as about 50+ people present. EVERYTIME we have been meet with awesome invitations back. We have had NO problems. I have even been to GC outside of these meetings OCing and no problems.

TJ