• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Island Transit

samaloney2006

imported post

:banghead:Latest up-date. I finally received a letter back from the Executive Director of Island Transit. I wrote her again. In her letter she quotes that they abide by RCW 9.41.270. I won't spell out the whole thing just where she decided that she knows better than the state legislature. Where it says in the RCW "display or draw any firearm, dagger etc."she convenienly left out the word"firearm".She also quotes RCW 9.91.025 at the end her Island Transit rules say "unless otherwise authorized by law". I wrote her a letter pointing these facts out . I also mentioned that Washington State does not authorize anything by law it prohibits by law, RCW 9.91.025 says"that is not otherwise prohibited by law", not authorized by law. We will see. But I can expect the next step to be the Isalnd County Commissioners, possibly another Attorney General's opinion

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

The commissioners will have no say on how Island Transit operates. You'll have to go to their board of directors for that, or a lawsuit. Does the county sheriff have anything to say about OC? What about OHPD? I'm asking because once you get one or more major law enforcement agencies onboard with understanding OC is legal it gives you more standing with the transit agency.

For instance when I was going back and forth with Intercity Transit I got them to admit to the legality of the carry of concealed handguns, and unloaded cased longarms, but I had to show them the Olympia PD training directive on OC (twice BTW, and with two phone calls to even get them to look at it) before they would accept that OC was legal.

FIRST you get Island Transit to acknoweldge they understand 9.91.025. Then you show them every fashion in which it is legal to transport a firearm. They will be that dense.

In Intercity Transit's case they had to back down when I showed them the OPD document. Not only did it prove my point, but they would be the ones called in most cases if an operator didn't like OC. If the cops won't back them on their play, then why bother?

PM me your email address and I'll send you the correspondence I have had with Intercity Transit, it might help you in your cause if you forward it to Island Transit. It includes a letter from the director stating he believes a holstered firearm is considered carried in a non threatening manner or something like that. I also have documents from Community Transit but I'm not sure it properly address OC, I'll have to review that as well.

If you like, I still have something of a bone to pick with Island Transit :p as when I was 19 they kicked me off for a cased shotgun and would never admit to 9.91.025 applying. They pulled some strange thing out that they felt justified their case. In fact you might want to demand any emails from 1999 regarding the transport of fireams on the bus from them just to see what they were thinking then too. So I'd be more than happy to add my two cents to your fight on this one. In fact would enjoy it immensely. It's a bit of unfinished business and the very begining of my own gun rights advocacy.:D

samaloney2006

imported post

:)sv-libertarian, thanks for the reply. Maybe we can work on this together. Thanks for the heads up on directors. I was only guessing on the County Commissioners as the next step. I live in Hawaii (I am a resident of Washington) so for me it is all done by mail however I do come back to Oak Harbor about every two months. I am very interested in what paper work you have. I only took this on for two resons 1. they are wrong and 2. they p----d me off.As an aside I met up with navyLT one evening, had a great time and dinner. E-Mail nwms.jim@hawaiiantel.net

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I wrote them a nice little neutral sounding email citing 9.91.025 and asked for "clarification". I want to see their response so I can work it properly.

Does anyone from Island County have anything in writing from OHPD, ICSD, or other law enforcement agency that shows they know that OC is legal?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

What about the Sheriff's office?

Has the OHPD chief seen the documents from King County, and other places regarding OC?

I think if one of the two major law enforcement agencies in Island County can be brought on board with OC it will make breaking Island Transit easier in this regard.