Thread: MPD's schools map

Post imported post

I just had a thought, if Milwaukee police officers need a map to tell them where the "school zones" are, how are we citizens supposed to know where the "school zones" are? Next to cab drivers, I would expect that policemen, firemen and paramedics should have the next best knowledge of the layout of the city they work in, and they need a map to tell them where the school zones are. I think the fact that MPD officers need a map would be a very strong and logical defense for someone "unknowingly" carrying a gun within a school zone. IMHO

Post imported post

I agree 100%. Looking at the map (maps) we have now, I still can't make heads or tails of it on the spot. I have to sit down and read over it all, just get an understanding. On top of that the map is from 2006...

This whole "you need a map" to walk down the street is a real joke. And my friend (who lives on 55th and Burleigh) is just out of luck? I guess he just does not have the same rights as others. I guess he lives in an area that is just to poor to have rights...

Post imported post

The statute for school zones reads, "knowingly" goes within 1,000 feet of school. I think it would be best not to have a map and simply plead ignorance. Which is a solid defense per statute provided you can logically claim you did not know you were within 1,000 feet of school.