• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MPD's schools map

Max

imported post

I just had a thought, if Milwaukee police officers need a map to tell them where the "school zones" are, how are we citizens supposed to know where the "school zones" are? Next to cab drivers, I would expect that policemen, firemen and paramedics should have the next best knowledge of the layout of the city they work in, and they need a map to tell them where the school zones are. I think the fact that MPD officers need a map would be a very strong and logical defense for someone "unknowingly" carrying a gun within a school zone. IMHO

AaronS

imported post

I agree 100%. Looking at the map (maps) we have now, I still can't make heads or tails of it on the spot. I have to sit down and read over it all, just get an understanding. On top of that the map is from 2006...

This whole "you need a map" to walk down the street is a real joke. And my friend (who lives on 55th and Burleigh) is just out of luck? I guess he just does not have the same rights as others. I guess he lives in an area that is just to poor to have rights...

Max

imported post

The statute for school zones reads, "knowingly" goes within 1,000 feet of school. I think it would be best not to have a map and simply plead ignorance. Which is a solid defense per statute provided you can logically claim you did not know you were within 1,000 feet of school.