• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry at 19.

Chrisg1

imported post

Hello, i am considering open carrying in Arizona.I almost know that is is legal to OC in az at the age of 18.I am 19 I just have some questions and i want to comply by every rule here in arizona.One,when i am driving where is it legal to have my firearm placed.Two if i am stoped by a police officer for a minor infraction should i let him know that there is a firearm in the vehicle?If so what is the least confrontational way of letting him know. Or would that draw many red flags? Would i be in for a houre traffic stop by letting him walk over my rights?I understand i can not by any handgun.Me and my father have been shooting for years and we are both avid nra members and law abiding citizens.How would my father go aboult letting me open carry so he is confident he is not braking any laws or am i.

I have been researching a law enforcement career and have achieved some basic traing in confrontational situations.I also plan on taking handgun training classes at shooters world and any other classe on situational awareness.

Pros and cons are welcome.

Let me know what you think or any situation that you may have gone through that may help me in a confrontation.

take care and thank you for your time.

impulse

imported post

chris3046 wrote:
Hello, i am considering open carrying in Arizona.I almost know that is is legal to OC in az at the age of 18.I am 19 I just have some questions and i want to comply by every rule here in arizona.One,when i am driving where is it legal to have my firearm placed.Anywhere the firearm is in plain view. Holstered on your body, on the dash board, laying on the passenger seat etc. Arizona law also says keeping a hand gun in the glove box, or center console is still considered open carry. If you choose either of the two places, keep your information elswhere (clipped to your sunshade) And technically if the firearm is holstered, it can be anywhere in the vehicle,even concealed. Seeing that it takes two steps to access the firearm. I would stay clear of this option though, too many gray area's. You best bet it to keep it holstered to your body.Two if i am stoped by a police officer for a minor infraction should i let him know that there is a firearm in the vehicle?This is all up to you. By law you are not required to tell a peace officer that your are armed. Is it a good idea too? Yes, I personally would tell them if I have armed myself. Keep your hands on the wheel, (if it's night turn on the dome light), do not try to unbuckle your seat belt. Wait till the officer reaches your window, tell him calmly that you have a firearm holstered to your right hip(or left depending on your taste), and ask him how he would like you to proceed. And follow his directions verbatem.If so what is the least confrontational way of letting him know. Or would that draw many red flags? Would i be in for a houre traffic stop by letting him walk over my rights?You live in Arizona, 99% out of the time they won't hassle you. If it happens to be an hour, you did something a lot worse than a simple moving violation.I understand i can not by any handgun.Actually you can. As long as your 18, you can buy a handgun from a private sell. But you are not allowed to purchase a hand gun from a FFL dealer (store) until your 21.Me and my father have been shooting for years and we are both avid nra members and law abiding citizens.Good to hear.How would my father go aboult letting me open carry so he is confident he is not braking any laws or am i. Do research, short and sweet. Ask questions here, most of the people know the ARS's off the top of their head.

There is also a book on all Arizona gun laws, I forgot the name of it, but I'm sure someone will reference it.

I have been researching a law enforcement career and have achieved some basic traing in confrontational situations.I also plan on taking handgun training classes at shooters world and any other classe on situational awareness. Train as much as you can, a firearm is only a tool.

Pros and cons are welcome.

Let me know what you think or any situation that you may have gone through that may help me in a confrontation. Having to talk to Kommiefornians is a pain at times.

take care and thank you for your time.

1FASTC4

imported post

By law you are now required to tell a peace officer that your are armed

Just to clarify. The poster meant to type "You are NOT required...."

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Altho there's no requirement to inform a LEO that you are armed (In AZ they will assume you are anyway)... It's a good idea as a courtesy. It's also a good idea to carry your wallet opposite of your handgun. For this reason I carry cross draw in that the pistol does not interfere with the seatbelt either..

Chrisg1

imported post

Thanks, that clears things up allot.Thank you for the information and help.

PavePusher

imported post

As soon as you can, get to your nearest gun shop/book store and pick up a copy of "The Arizona Gun Owners Guide" by Alan Korwin. Also available from Bloomfield Press at http://www.gunlaws.com/. They also carry guides to many other states, get one for every place you travel to.

For the record, I receive no compensation for recommending them, I am just a very satisfied customer.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

I applaud your efforts to educate yourself and to open carry. In addition to Arizona Gun Owner's Guide, you might wish to read "You& the Police" by Boston T. Party.

I suggest you join the Arizona Citizens Defense League http://www.azcdl.org/,

as they have the best information on what is happening legislatively in Arizona.

You might consider carrying your pistol in a map pocket or glove box in the car in Arizona, as those two locations are defined by law as not being concealed. Carrying in an ordinary holster might be problematic given the court cases in effect. The lawyers say that any storage location that you store a map in is in effect, a map pocket.

crisisweasel

imported post

ccwinstructor wrote
I suggest you join the Arizona Citizens Defense League http://www.azcdl.org/,

as they have the best information on what is happening legislatively in Arizona.
Wanted to second the recommendation of AZCDL, also to anyone else reading this. This is a great organization that is focused on the nuts and bolts of gun rights in Arizona: legislation.

I have found them to be an immensely practical organization in protecting (and expanding) my rights here in Arizona, and completely worth the time/money.

I know it can get a little excessive, given the number of gun organizations one can be a part of / pay dues to - there are a lot, but I would suggest that the AZCDL is possibly the organization that could impact our situation as Arizonans the most.

I guess everyone has their favorite gun rights organization - AZCDL is mine.