• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone OC in a duty holster?

spyderdude

imported post

I have been thinking about buying a police duty holster that has the jacket slot so I can keep my shirt un-tucked (I think I look funny with my shirt tucked in). I don't particularly like thumb break holsters and have considered the Blackhawk Serpa Level III duty holster or maybe just the jacket slot belt attachment on my Serpa holster. Another thing I am concerned about is most duty rigs are designed for 2" duty belts, and my usual belt is 1.5". Would using a duty holster on my belt cause the holstered gun to flop around?

I think this would be good for winter as well, given I spend the better part of the year wearing jackets.

david.ross

imported post

Spyder... yes... duty holsters are the most popular. Serpa holsters are technically duty. Though Safariland has better retention systems.

I know Safariland duty holsters come with a belt loop plate which you can modify from 1"-2.25"~

This is the one I use, the Safariland 6280:
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1068.php
The belt loop mount is adjustable, however you can only increase the size. You adjust by cutting out the sizing divots.

Buy one of these and the level of security will go up one level:
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2805.php
(note: also if you take a course, the instructors will not ride you, "Roo, look at your holster!" My arm would knock the hood down while getting up from a squatting shotgun stance)

Here is another which is a level III, upgradeable to level IV if you use the hood guard.
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2090.php

If you're going to wear a duty holster, I really recommend you buy a duty belt.
This does not mean get rid of your current belt. You wear a duty belt OVER your existing belt and use belt keepers to strap the duty belt to your normal belt. Some just wear the duty belt over their coat like how you see some military or guards, to each his own. Wearing a duty belt over a large winter coat can be optional depending how the belt sits on you.

I don't recommend wearing a duty holster on a normal belt, even though it fits, since you'll get annoyed by taking the holster off each time you must or at the end of the day. Much easier to just slap on a duty belt with all your gear and place a 4-8 keepers in place.