• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Legislative Action Alert!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Action Item 1:

If you haven't already please sign the petition to remove the "cased and unloaded" vehicle carry restrictions and "1000ft. School zone" restrictions on your right to open carry. (more information about these onerous restrictions is available on the petition page.)Link below:

[url]http://www.petitiononline.com/wi1848oc/petition.html[/url]

Action Item 2:

OPERATION CARRYLAND! We collected enough money to run a limited series of ads in SEWisconsin. With your help, we will run ads in all of Wisconsin!Thank-you to all those who contributed. Please contribute if you can at the following link – pay pal membership is not required, just use your favorite debit or credit card and give and you can give in just a few seconds!

[url]http://www.opencarry.org/carryland.html[/url]

Action Item 3:

CONTACT YOUR STATE LEGISLATORS! Wisconsinites overwhelmingly support the right to keep and bear arms. Your legislators represent you and it’s time to make sure they know what you want them doing on the open carry issue in Madison.

Find your Wisconsin STATE senator AND representative at the following link:

[url]http://www.legis.state.wi.us/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx[/url]

**(your legislators can be contacted by email, phone, fax, or mail - email is best to start, followed up later by hard copy letter or phone call)**

Suggested message:

Dear Senator/Representative ______:

The Wisconsin constitution states The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

The "cased andunloaded"vehicle carry restriction which requires people to load and unload their firearm every time they exit and enter their vehicle serves no purpose and necessitates unnecessary handling of the firearm. In addition the constitutional right to protect oneself and one’s family should not be infringed upon while you are in a vehicle.

The "1000ft school zone" also conflicts with our constitutionally guaranteed right to bear arms. A law abiding citizen has no way to know when they cross this “magical line”' and suddenly expose themselves to a Class A felony. In addition hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of Wisconsin residents live inside of this 1000ft school zone and thus are unable to walk off of their property with a sidearm when they walk the dog, go for a bike ride, or take a walk to the grocery store.Only one other state, California, has such an onerous “school zone” gun carry ban.

Pleaseintroduce or support legislation to clear up theseonerous restrictions which conflict with our constitutionally guaranteed rights.

Respectfully,

YOUR NAME
YOUR ADDRESS

milkmanjoe

imported post

Mike....

I see that petitions are set to be signed by residents of the particular state. Am I missing something or is there a reason we can't all sign and back our beliefs in other states? Or, if one is needed for residents can't we "out of staters" show our support on a different petition? Correct me, please.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

milkmanjoe wrote:
Mike....

I see that petitions are set to be signed by residents of the particular state. Am I missing something or is there a reason we can't all sign and back our beliefs in other states? Or, if one is needed for residents can't we "out of staters" show our support on a different petition? Correct me, please.
The petitions are for citizens of a specific state - not everybody - legislators only care about their state residents. The emails collected by the petiton founder are then used for alerts to get action.

milkmanjoe

imported post

pachanga22 wrote:
Sent off a couple email to my Senator and Representative
Have sent letters and will send more.....I just thought there might be a more organized petition...Will keep my current course of writing letters

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote
Suggested message:

Dear Senator/Representative ______:

The Wisconsin constitution states The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

The "cased andunloaded"vehicle carry restriction which requires people to load and unload their firearm every time they exit and enter their vehicle serves no purpose and necessitates unnecessary handling of the firearm. In addition the constitutional right to protect oneself and one’s family should not be infringed upon while you are in a vehicle.

The "1000ft school zone" also conflicts with our constitutionally guaranteed right to bear arms. A law abiding citizen has no way to know when they cross this “magical line”' and suddenly expose themselves to a Class A felony. In addition hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of Wisconsin residents live inside of this 1000ft school zone and thus are unable to walk off of their property with a sidearm when they walk the dog, go for a bike ride, or take a walk to the grocery store.Only one other state, California, has such an onerous “school zone” gun carry ban.

Pleaseintroduce or support legislation to clear up theseonerous restrictions which conflict with our constitutionally guaranteed rights.

Respectfully,

YOUR NAME
YOUR ADDRESS
I'd like to e-mail/mail some of these off. Could somebody add a paragraph about concealed carry as well. I'd do it myself but it probably wouldn't sound as good, and I don't want to ruin the message.

Also, would sending these to the US Representative and US Senate do any good? Or just to the Wisconsin ones?

Thanks!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

logan wrote:
I'd like to e-mail/mail some of these off. Could somebody add a paragraph about concealed carry as well. I'd do it myself but it probably wouldn't sound as good, and I don't want to ruin the message.

Also, would sending these to the US Representative and US Senate do any good? Or just to the Wisconsin ones?

Add concealed carry desires if you want but frankly, I suggest not diluting the message - first Wisconsin needs to be made safe for the right to open carry; later may come the privilege to conceal carry.

and no - don't spam federal Congressmen - they don't thave anything to do with the state legislature.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

logan wrote:

Thanks!
What would you like added about concealed carry?

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
What would you like added about concealed carry?
Something saying we should allow CCW, but I do agree with Mike. These other laws would be good to get passed first, so maybe I'll send it without a CCW statement.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

E-mailed my WI Senator and Representative.

Maybe someday I can e-mail about CCW, but I agree, try to stick to open carry and the laws that restrict that, since that seems to be the big topic at the moment.

And like one of the videos I saw about open carry said, the only way to get rid of open carry may be to allow concealed carry.

FeralOne

imported post

Mike wrote:
Add concealed carry desires if you want but frankly, I suggest not diluting the message - first Wisconsin needs to be made safe for the right to open carry; later may come the privilege to conceal carry.

and no - don't spam federal Congressmen - they don't thave anything to do with the state legislature.
Not quite true that we shouldn't write our Federal Congresspeople (one of mine's a woman): The DC city council continues to infringe the right of people to bear arms in the District. Congress has (and should use) the ability to control the local laws and we should encourage them to override the District's onerous laws!

Karl

imported post

I just joined the other day after learning of your site on the local news. It was fun seeing how merely having a picnic can manage to be a news event when the folks are packing guns.

I signed the petition. I'm #1,030.

And I just sent off that really nice letter provided by Mike. I sent it to my Sen Jim Sullivan & my Rep Leah Vukmir. Vukmir seems highly supportive of gun rights based on the couple of times I've spoken with her in the past (she responds to e-mails with a phone call). Sen Sullivan on the other hand seems to totally hate the concept of gun rights based on prior contact I've had with him. So far this year I've also contacted Sullivan about the proposal to raise the fee for a WI background check to buy a handgun to $30. I have no idea why we even need a second background checkby the state-- was the federal background check not enough? He's also heard my view on "micro-stamping,"anidea that is stupid, useless, and costly; really nothing more than another "let's harass gun buyer's act".

I seem to be busy with e-mails all the time, being on the mailing lists for both GOA & NRA-ILA. GOA is nice in that they provide pre-written letters. NRA expects one to write their own. And there is never any shortage of items to write about given the endless supply of gun-grabber legislation & nominations of gun-grabbers (Holder, Sotomayor).

Obama's rabidly anti-gun administration even inspired me to join the NRA for the first time ever just a few weeks back.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Karl:

WELCOME to the forum. Always nice to see yet another pro-rights individual.

Load up, and carry on.

Kancho

imported post

Almost 1800.

How many of them wrote a letter?

A PHYSICAL letter. Make them do their jobs (or make their interns do something, I mean).

You can always tell if it's an intern writing back. If you have no idea what the response is, like Feingold always writes back to me (he hates me, I think, so he writes me personal responses to annoy me; he knows it makes my brain hurt deciphering his dribble), then you know it's personal.

I cant tell if he supports what I tell him to or not.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Kancho wrote:
Almost 1800.

How many of them wrote a letter?

A PHYSICAL letter. Make them do their jobs (or make their interns do something, I mean).

You can always tell if it's an intern writing back. If you have no idea what the response is, like Feingold always writes back to me (he hates me, I think, so he writes me personal responses to annoy me; he knows it makes my brain hurt deciphering his dribble), then you know it's personal.

I cant tell if he supports what I tell him to or not.
Doyle personally wrote me a letter during the CCW fight. I sent him a letter daily until he wrote back. I rested my case from there.

M

McX

imported post

Sent one off to Robin Voss, Representative Racine County. And he responded favorably!

Karl

imported post

You can always tell if it's an intern writing back.
I know that everybody in Jim Sensenbrenner's office has been issued a blue Sharpie, as all the dozens of letters I've received from him are signed with one and Jim seems to have a stunning number of vastly different signatures.