• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-open carry letters to the editor in Milwaukee Journal Sentinal

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Hey all - you can do this too - letters to editors are very important and read by political folks. Write them! be short, less than 200 words, one issue.

--

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/43648212.html

Sunday Symposium
Open carry

Posted: Apr. 25, 2009
Carrying a gun is a protected right

The Wisconsin Constitution, Article I, Section 25, says: "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose."

That amendment is pretty straightforward. Every court in the nation understands the fundamental legal doctrine that rights must have an avenue of expression and cannot be regulated out of existence. Since concealed carrying of firearms is unlawful per Wisconsin statutes, openly carrying firearms is the only lawful avenue in which people can exercise their constitutional right to bear arms.

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett and Police Chief Edward Flynn, please take note. Article I, Section 25 does not read, "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose, except in Milwaukee."

Please, before you start taking people to the ground and disarming them for exercising a protected constitutional right, seek legal counsel and have them go over the Second, Fourth and 14th amendments of the U.S. Constitution with you. If officials are unable or unwilling to honor the solemn oath they took upon taking office, at least the part where they swore to uphold the Constitution, perhaps they should resign.

Tom Reda
Burlington

--

Doyle deserves blame
I think anyone who thinks open carry is bad should blame Gov. Jim Doyle. He vetoed concealed carry twice. Concealed carry has worked in 48 states. Doyle, in 2006, said people who wanted to carry a gun should wear it on their hip.

Now he says it is ridiculous to carry a gun on your hip. Governor, make up your mind.

Randall Ullrich
Mukwonago

patriotguy

imported post

Just got a call from the Journal Sentinel. They will be publishing an editorial I submitted. It will appear next Tuesday, the 26th.
I will post it then. It deals with the AG memo, one month later.