• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If California Sucks So Much...

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

First, remember that California is a HUGE state. Bigger then several average states combined. It's geography, climate, and people vary vastly.

I was born and raised here, in Sonoma County, about an hour north of San Francisco. I've traveled a lot. I've been to much of the US. I've been to 30+ countries. I've been to all seven continents. I always want to come home. I don't want to live anywhere else.

prcE6

imported post

Agree with Mudcamper. I've been around the world and I, I, I.... Actually in Australia, I almost just walked away and became an Australian. Good thing I didn't though, for obvious reasons. Other than that, I really can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be. To me, all the other cool places in the US (or the world for that matter) are nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

There's not too many states that can have all-around board shops that sell, snow boards, skate boards, and surf boards to regular customers who would use all three items in a 4 month period.

And since we're on the right track after so many years of losing rights, pretty soon we'll have 'em all back and it'll be like the gold rush all over again. People will flock to the state.

PS - Nukechaser, you DO sound like you work for the tourism board!:lol:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

marshaul wrote:
mjones wrote:
Theseus wrote:
...the roads suck ...
Personally I think the roads in Cali are 2nd only to the German Countryside - it's the traffic that sucks :(
Must be because you don't live in the Bay area. The roads here are truly terrible, by far the worst I've seen in any state (and several European countries).
My regular travel around Stanislaus county has trained me to know where the potholes are on Hwy 99, as well as just about every exit between Modesto & Turlock. Most of them are pretty minor, but they just never get fixed. For the amount of taxation we endure for the sake of the roads, you'd think they could at least fill them in once a year.

I've been to every state west of the Rockies (except Hawaii), and have found that CA has the worst roads and the highest taxes. Just doesn't add up...

Chez

imported post

Being one who loves the beaches and riding a motorcycle, I would love to live in CA.

Being one who hates taxes, liberal controlled government and anti 2nd ammendment laws, I am glad I live in AZ :cool:

But I will be there this summer to vacation. No matter what, it is a beautiful state and a fun place to visit.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
My regular travel around Stanislaus county has trained me to know where the potholes are on Hwy 99, as well as just about every exit between Modesto & Turlock. Most of them are pretty minor, but they just never get fixed. For the amount of taxation we endure for the sake of the roads, you'd think they could at least fill them in once a year.

I've been to every state west of the Rockies (except Hawaii), and have found that CA has the worst roads and the highest taxes. Just doesn't add up...
You can always report the potholes: http://www.dot.ca.gov/maintform.html

They're actually pretty responsive if you give enough information for them to find the damage.

KylaGWolf

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
...why are so many people there?

Back East, we never hear anything positive about California.

As I look at the State, I see gorgeous scenery, the best weather and decent things to do.

Just how bad is life in California, all in all?
Its like anywhere else it has its good points and its bad points. I have lived in both north and south state. In North Cali you have mountains and beaches within a close drive. Then there is the Napa Valley area which has a lot to do and not all has to do with wine. Further north you have Mt. Shasta and the Redwoods. Then down south you have some beautiful coast line and pretty decent weather most of the time.

Now for the downside. High taxes, insane cost of living in most places for rents and mortgage. Not to mention the moronic gun laws. And not to mention that traffic can suck even at the non commute times depending where you live. Oh yeah and houses one on top of another so your neighbors are right on top of you.

grumpycoconut

imported post

Stay away! California is a horrible place! The gun laws are uber restrictive. You can barely even get a gun here and even if you get one you can't find anyplace to shoot it. The Liberals are doing everything in their power to suck the American soul out of their serfs. The TV news is so full of terrifying reports of countless violent crimes that I often times refuse to leave my house without my car keys and wallet. I never even let my wife and daughter out of the house unless my wife has her car keys and purse. If you do need the services of the local JBTs you often need to wait upwards of 5 minutes (in an emergency)before they arrive in overwhelming and opressive numbers. And talk about ignorant! Our local JBT's only have to go through a pidley 1000 hours minimum of basic JBT school before they can go to work. Lord knows that having those damn Ghetto Birds (JBT black helicopters) overhead once or twice a week really reminds me to keep quietly in my place.

The air quality is so horrendous (LA basin) that I smoke so that my lungs might feel slightly cleaner air every so often (those filters don't filter much, but anything is better than nothing.) The earthquakes have us all living in terror and are constantly trying to knock over my house.

The roads are so awful that it sometimes takes me upwards of 3 or 4 hours to get from a morning surf session to an afternoon ski session. Some of the roads here are so bad that I could barely get my motorcycle through them without endless steering input. Sometimes the roads were so twisty that I had to practically drag my knee on the pavement to make the turn safely.

Don't even get me started on the ocean around here. It's all dark green with life and cold and constantly agitated with these uncontrollable wave things that are always doing their best to reshape the coastline.

Not only that, those pinko commie F@&$ impose these insane restrictions on the poor helpless oil companies to keep them from building their wonderfully attractive, safe and leak free drilling platforms and stop them from sprouting up all over the horizon.

Oh! Oh!! Oh!!! Even worse, some of those same pinko commie F@&$ have this insane notion that I should be allowed to put in or take out what ever or who ever I want from my body without regard for whether or not the bible and Victorian England would approve. They are so liberal out here that even in the SF Bay area they let Republicans vote. Go figure. Some of them are even stoopid enough to think that all those foreigners out there who should talk American like real people but don't, might have something of value to offer so they insist that stoopid furin languages should be taught in school and printed on evil .gov forms. How stoopid. Everyone knows that all you have to do to get your point across to furiners is talk real slow and loud.

And taxes!!!! Damn those taxes. I don't care that the county I live in is larger and more populous than most every state on the east coast. It shouldn't cost all that much to pay the cost of keeping this place marginally livable.

Well enough ranting from me for now. It's Saturday so I think I'll sign off, go out to my back yard, saddle up my horse for a quick ride, grill up some carne asada and tortillas (damn foreign food) and chuck my surfboard in the truck so I can catch a quick surf tomorrow morning after work. Maybe on sunday afternoon I can take my evil assault P22 and even eviler EBR with the 22lr conversion down to the range and burn a brick or 2 at the local indoor range. God, I hate indoor ranges. They've got all that stoopid air conditioning running even though it's only 78 degrees out for 360 days of the year.

Ok enough ranting. Just stay away from Commiefornia. Every thing bad you've ever heard is right. you wouldn't like it here. It's a bad place. Much better to just stay where you are.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
Ok enough ranting. Just stay away from Commiefornia. Every thing bad you've ever heard is right. you wouldn't like it here. It's a bad place. Much better to just stay where you are.
Well played, but you will note that I wasn't insulting the Golden State, merely conveying what I've heard.

grumpycoconut

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
grumpycoconut wrote:
Well played, but you will note that I wasn't insulting the Golden State, merely conveying what I've heard.

It's Ok. I know you weren't insulting my beloved State of Californication. It's just that we've (me and the mouse in my pocket that is) developed a powerful case of youngest child syndrome. We're just a bit flinchy from getting ragged on so often.;)

But you still wouldn't like it here:p

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
It's just that we've (me and the mouse in my pocket that is) developed a powerful case of youngest child syndrome. We're just a bit flinchy from getting ragged on so often.;)
Ain't that the truth.

grumpycoconut

imported post

marshaul wrote:
grumpycoconut wrote:
It's just that we've (me and the mouse in my pocket that is) developed a powerful case of youngest child syndrome. We're just a bit flinchy from getting ragged on so often.;)
Ain't that the truth.

I feel extra bad for you Marshaul. Your part of CA makes the rest of CA, even the parts of LA that are'nt North Hollywood, look down right Montanaish.

Example: I heard it from a Berkely PD copper that the only reason Berkely PD SWAT's MP5s weren't painted a less scary and aggressive color, like pink, was that painting the guns would void the warranty. Hee Hee Hee.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
Example: I heard it from a Berkely PD copper that the only reason Berkely PD SWAT's MP5s weren't painted a less scary and aggressive color, like pink, was that painting the guns would void the warranty. Hee Hee Hee.
That sounds like a little self-deprecating humor to me. :D

grumpycoconut

imported post

marshaul wrote:
grumpycoconut wrote:
That sounds like a little self-deprecating humor to me. :D

Fine! Be that way! Use smart words and recognize silliness when you read it:p You're never gonna be a true interwebz chat board star as long as you keep that up.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
marshaul wrote:
grumpycoconut wrote:
Ain't that the truth.

I feel extra bad for you Marshaul. Your part of CA makes the rest of CA, even the parts of LA that are'nt North Hollywood, look down right Montanaish.

More on this, please, since I'm looking at the Bay Area. Do the Bay Area gun laws differ from the rest of California? I thought the State had complete preemption, thus the striking of S.F.'s ban?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

smoking357 wrote:
...Do the Bay Area gun laws differ from the rest of California? I thought the State had complete preemption, thus the striking of S.F.'s ban?
Most local ordinances are preempted, as state law covers so much.

Localities may pass prohibitions on property owned by the locality (e.g. fair grounds). Localities can also pass discharge prohibitions, which would make loaded carry illegal in areas that normally would not fall under 12031.

The SF housing gun ban fell most likely because the property is not under the locality's immediate control when it's occupied by a tenant.

grumpycoconut

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
grumpycoconut wrote:
marshaul wrote:
grumpycoconut wrote:
Ain't that the truth.

More on this, please, since I'm looking at the Bay Area. Do the Bay Area gun laws differ from the rest of California? I thought the State had complete preemption, thus the striking of S.F.'s ban?

Don't sweat it. State law is king and local ordinances don't change anything worth worrying about. If you are gonna go to the bay area just go there an enjoy. Besides, 90%of everything you hear about Kalifornia is BS. Especially if its a Californian telling it to you. If the stress is too much for you when you get here you can always get your doctor to write you a legal weed prescription to take the edge off.:lol:

Of course now you've got to figure out which 10% of what I just wrote is the truth.:p

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
Of course now you've got to figure out which 10% of what I just wrote is the truth.:p

Hahaha! Very nice sir.

KAISER-MAN

imported post

ALL I KNOW IS THAT CERTAIN COMPANIES WON'T SHIP AMMO TO CITIES LIKE S.F. L.A. MONTEREY ETC. SO THERE MUST BE SOME KIND OF LAWTHAT PROHIBITS THESE SHIPMENTS.

IT'S GETTING SO BAD I CALLED MY STOCKBROKER AND ASKED HIM WHAT HE WAS BUYING? HE SAID "CANNED GOODS AND AMMUNITION". GREAT......