• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested for 10k rounds in car (MA)

yankees98a

imported post

http://www.eagletribune.com/punewshh/local_story_135220825.html?keyword=topstory

Police: Man said 30,000 bullets were for target practice He is held on $500,000 bail
By Paul Tennant
ptennant@eagletribune.com HAVERHILL — Keni Garcia told police he intended to use the 30,000 bullets they found in his car and home for target practice.
That is hard to believe, the prosecutor at Garcia's arraignment said, because if he were to fire a gun for eight hours a day, it would take weeks for him to use all of it.
Garcia, who allegedly bought thousands of rounds of ammunition and had 10,000 bullets in his car when he was stopped by police Thursday, was ordered held on $500,000 cash bail yesterday.
Attorney Socrates de la Cruz of Lawrence, who represented Garcia, 32, of 12 Freeman St., at his arraignment in Haverhill District Court, said he will appeal the high bail in Superior Court.
Garcia is charged with three counts of possession of a high-capacity firearm, illegal possession of ammunition and illegal storage of a firearm. His case was continued until June 12.
Assistant District Attorney Christopher Holland asked Judge Patricia Dowling to impose $750,000 cash bail.
"He has no reason to stay here," Holland said.
The judge ordered Garcia to surrender his passport, and said that if he makes bail he is not to leave Massachusetts.
Garcia is a native of the Dominican Republic who was expected to become a U.S. citizen yesterday, but then he was arrested, authorities said.
Police arrested Garcia after he had left Interstate 495 at Exit 49 Thursday. They said they found 10,000 rounds of ammunition in his car. His two young daughters also were in the car, police said.
Holland said at Garcia's arraignment that a "joint effort" by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and state police found that Garcia had previously bought 20,000 rounds of ammunition in New Hampshire.
Garcia told police he only intended to use the bullets for target practice at a rifle range, Holland said, disputing Garcia's explanation. His common law wife, Elizabeth Reynoso, consented to a search and police found another 20,000 rounds, Holland said. They also found one .38-caliber and two 9 mm handguns, and $25,000 in cash, Holland said.
The prosecutor said all of the bullets seized from Garcia were for .38-caliber, 9 mm and .22-caliber firearms. Such ammunition is "like gold in the Dominican Republic," he said.
Holland said Reynoso told police he had "a shipping type of business" and that the $25,000 in cash must have come from Garcia cashing a business check.
"Where is the crime?" de la Cruz asked. The lawyer said Garcia had lived in New Hampshire for three years before recently moving to Haverhill.
"He bought the guns legally," de la Cruz said. "He never hid the fact that he had them."
Furthermore, de la Cruz said that when Garcia moved to Haverhill, he had a 60-day grace period to obtain a Massachusetts firearms card.
"There is no crime committed," he argued, saying there was no evidence that Garcia was shipping guns or ammunition to the Dominican Republic.
He asked the judge to allow his client "to go back to his job." He said Garcia has worked at a local bakery for three years.
Yesterday, Freeman Street residents interviewed by The Eagle-Tribune said they did not know anything about Garcia or guns and ammunition being stored at or shipped from his home.
Medline Abiles, of 43 Freeman St., who resides across the street from Garcia's house, said that in the two months she has lived in the neighborhood, she has not observed any weapons or ammunition and had no reason to be suspicious. Her sister, Carmen Reyes, who visits frequently, said she also had never noticed anything suspicious at the two-family house at 12 Freeman St.

compmanio365

imported post

We are getting past the point of working "within the system", if this is how the system treats people that have committed no crime and have broken no law. Held without charge, or charges that do not fit the situation, intimidated and cases presided over by activist judges legislating from the bench, to fit their own views on how the law should be, not judging based on what the law says. Yes, we are well past the point of "working within the system". How many more false arrests, intimidation attempts and absolute "thuggery" from the government against law abiding citizens will it take before we say, "No more!" and start taking up arms against those who would use tyranny against the people? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

(The most likely answer, for those who can't see it, is never......)

Legba

imported post

"He never hid the fact that he had them." Maybe he should have. Just say no to searches.

-ljp

bugly

imported post

Personally, I think its stupid to have that much ammo in your house, but that's just me. How do you keep your inventory rotated properly? Unless that was sellier and bellot ammo, it will go bad after a while and become less effective. As for the claim of target practice, does he shoot in IPSC? If so, why is he using out-of-the-box ammo and not reloads? Something is fishy about this whole thing anyway, cause I can't even find 100 round boxes of WWB in .45 ACP, so where did this guy get all of that? 10,000 rounds in the car, or was it 30,000? Maybe he stole it and they were following him to bust him for that.
Too many unanswered questions and loose ends to the story, I think it's originally from the Enquirer.
As for the shipping to other countries, that's one of the things the BATF is infamous for, they get on a shaky case and claim they have knowledge of drug or weapons smuggling activity linked to you. That little part of our "government" has to be shut down, as well as the IRS (a.k.a. private collection agency on contract to our government).

(edited to add content)

Dustin

imported post

yankees98a wrote:
His common law wife, Elizabeth Reynoso, consented to a search and police found another 20,000 rounds,

mega_shok.gif

N00blet45

imported post

Where is the crime?" de la Cruz asked. The lawyer said Garcia had lived in New Hampshire for three years before recently moving to Haverhill.
"He bought the guns legally," de la Cruz said. "He never hid the fact that he had them."
Furthermore, de la Cruz said that when Garcia moved to Haverhill, he had a 60-day grace period to obtain a Massachusetts firearms card.
"There is no crime committed," he argued, saying there was no evidence that Garcia was shipping guns or ammunition to the Dominican Republic.
If they really do not have any evidence of criminal activity then why is he in jail? Suspicion alone is not enough to keep you in jail. I'm thinking there is more to the story than is being told.

If you shot for eight hours a day and assume that you fired 1 round a minute (yea right) then it would take you 21 days to expend 10,000 rounds. If however you fired like a guy who is just out having fun shooting at stuff you could probably go through 10,000 rounds in about 5-10 days.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

yankees98a wrote:
Keni Garcia told police he intended to use the 30,000 bullets they found in his car and home for target practice.
That is hard to believe, the prosecutor at Garcia's arraignment said, because if he were to fire a gun for eight hours a day, it would take weeks for him to use all of it.
8 hours = 28,800 seconds

How long does it take to pull a trigger? I think I could manage 30,000 rounds in one 8 hour period, especially if they are all loaded into mags ahead of time!

metalman383

imported post

I don't understand, "possesion of a high capacity firearm", since when is that against the law? And if I had the cash, and found a supply that large, I would have that many rounds too! I am getting a little bit sick of shooting the .22, because .40 and .45 rounds are so expensive, and hard to find. Just my thoughts.

PT111

imported post

I think there may be more to this story than has been brought out so far. They are just keeping him in jail to prevent him from fleeing the country while they build their case. If not then he will go free but just having 10,000 round is not enough to get the BATF and State Police involved along with a $500,000 "cash" bail.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If I could afford 10,000 rounds I would too!

This is ridiculous, but if you remember there was a notice not long ago that the ATF and DHS were looking closely at people buying large qty. of ammunition.

Tomahawk

imported post

Theseus wrote:

This is ridiculous, but if you remember there was a notice not long ago that the ATF and DHS were looking closely at people buying large qty. of ammunition.
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't DHS and ATF (and DEA, FBI, ad infinitum) routinely buy large quantities of ammo? I wonder what they're planning to do with it...

jerg_064

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
Where is the crime?" de la Cruz asked. The lawyer said Garcia had lived in New Hampshire for three years before recently moving to Haverhill.
If they really do not have any evidence of criminal activity then why is he in jail? Suspicion alone is not enough to keep you in jail. I'm thinking there is more to the story than is being told.

Actually, these days it is. Bush got rid of "habeas corpus" during his presidency, it was aimed(supposedly) only at terrorist and such but as it was written they have been using it against anybody. I have a friend that was held in jail on no charges for a week late last year.

However, "habeas corpus" is in the consitution so unless there is a constitutional amendment any infringement on this is null and void. And IMO, treason! Though in this case since this man is not a US citizen, I'm not sure he could even attempt tomake that case in court.

redlegagent

imported post

Obviously he just a buyer for some gang. Where would some peon who works in a bakery get $25,000 in cash plus probably double that worth of ammo?? Giving that he's from Dominican Republic I wouldn't bet if he was buying for MS-13. They probably have something over him and forced him to do it so if he get caught - some doughnut baker gets deported and if not - they just got a ton of ammo. ;)

compmanio365

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Theseus wrote:

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't DHS and ATF (and DEA, FBI, ad infinitum) routinely buy large quantities of ammo? I wonder what they're planning to do with it...
There's a lot of dogs out there to shoot.......that seems to be their favorite pastime.