• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested for 10k rounds in car (MA)

FMCDH

imported post

metalman383 wrote:
I don't understand, "possesion of a high capacity firearm", since when is that against the law? And if I had the cash, and found a supply that large, I would have that many rounds too! I am getting a little bit sick of shooting the .22, because .40 and .45 rounds are so expensive, and hard to find. Just my thoughts.
Bad wording I am thinking, they probably meant a "high capacity feeding device" which indeed is against the law in Massachusetts. Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf for the full text and links.

Large Capacity Feeding Devices:

The sale, offering for sale, transfer or possession of large capacity feeding devices for assault weapons (as defined under Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 140, § 121), is prohibited unless such device was lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Ch. 140, § 131M.

Under Massachusetts law, a “large capacity feeding device” is defined as: “(i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994.” Ch. 140, § 121.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

redlegagent wrote:
Obviously he just a buyer for some gang.  Where would some peon who works in a bakery get $25,000 in cash plus probably double that worth of ammo??  Giving that he's from Dominican Republic I wouldn't bet if he was buying for MS-13.  They probably have something over him and forced him to do it so if he get caught - some doughnut baker gets deported and if not - they just got a ton of ammo.  ;)

MS-13 is from El Salvador...

Mara Salvatrucha

It originated from El Salvador then migrated to Arizona and the L.A. area - despite popular belief that it started in L.A.

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

In Massachusetts it is illegal to possess a firearm capable of accepting a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds unless you have a License to Carry Class A (LTC-A).

Definition:
A weapon is large capacity if it is a semi-automatic handgun or rifle that is capable of accepting (or readily modifiable to accept) any detachable large capacity feeding device that holds more than ten rounds, OR if it is a shotgun capable of accepting more than five shotgun shells, OR if it is an assault weapon.

A new resident of Massachusetts has 60 days from when they move to acquire a LTC or FID (firearm identification card), the FID is shall-issue and only allows low-capacity rifles and shotguns but the LTC is may-issue at the discretion of the local chief of police.

The situation is further complicated because the guy is not yet a Citizen and non-Citizens are only allowed FIDs not LTCs in MA so he would not have been able to get a LTC within the 60 days to make his handguns legal.

With regards to the ammo there is a law in MA that requires a permit from the local fire department if you want to possess more than 10k rounds of rimfire, 10k centerfire or 5k shotgun shells.

He has also been charged with 3 counts of unlawful storage - in MA if a gun isn't directly under your control it needs to be in a locked container or have a trigger lock (or similar device) installed.

Of the three charges (high-capacity, ammo, storage) the storage charges are the ones most likely to get him locked up. The punishment for each count of unlawful storage is 2.5 to 10 years in prison and/or a fine of $5000-$10000.

So in other words yes the guy broke one or more laws that he probably knew nothing about and they are using that to keep him locked up while they see if they can find something else. Even if they find no connection to smuggling he is screwed on the storage charges and will likely spend years in jail before being deported.

For anyone moving to another State (especially a liberal shithole like MA) - please remember that each State has different laws and something as simple as storage of a weapon or possession of pepper spray (also illegal in MA without a FID) can get you locked up for a long time and cost you your second amendment right for life.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

MarkNH wrote:
A new resident of Massachusetts has 60 days from when they move to acquire a LTC or FID (firearm identification card), the FID is shall-issue and only allows low-capacity rifles and shotguns but the LTC is may-issue at the discretion of the local chief of police.
Please explain abbreviations: LTC = ?

What about a new resident moving to MA with a handgun - is a license required? grace period?

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
MarkNH wrote:
Please explain abbreviations: LTC = ?

What about a new resident moving to MA with a handgun - is a license required? grace period?
LTC = License to Carry (although it may not allow you to carry a handgun, see later).

In Massachusetts all gun owners have to be licensed and licenses are issued by your local chief of police. Without a license just about everything is illegal including possession of pepper spray and possession of any ammunition component (including spent brass :shock:)

You can get a FID (firearm identification card) which is shall-issue and allows the possession of rifles and shotguns with a capacity of 10 rounds or less.

You can also get a LTC (license to carry) which is issued at the discretion of the police chief - he may not give you one, he may give you a class B which allows possession of low capacity handguns, or he may issue a class A license which allows possession of high capacity firearms and magazines. LTCs can further be limited to restrict possession to employment only (i.e. security guards), sporting (i.e. target practice) etc but the holy grail of gun owners in MA is getting a LTC class A "all lawful purposes" which allows concealed carry.

New residents are exempt from the licensing requirements for 60 days from when they establish residency in Massachusetts. The local chief is supposed to issue a license within 40 days but many of them take months to issue a license, in my opinion it is best therefore to leave your gun in your old state of residence until you have a license in your hand.

The Massachusetts Gun Owners Action League (GOAL) is a great organization that has lots of information on MA gun laws:

http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/overview.html

ODA 226

imported post

bugly wrote:
Personally, I think its stupid to have that much ammo in your house, but that's just me. How do you keep your inventory rotated properly? Unless that was sellier and bellot ammo, it will go bad after a while and become less effective.

Bugly,

Properly manufactured and stored ammo RARELY goes bad. In the Former Yugoslavia, I fired .45 ACP rounds that were produced in 1938 and werecached in the ground from 1945 until 1991, through a Thompson SMG that had beencached with that very same ammo. Both the weapon and the ammo functioned perfectly.

Just something to think about.

Dustin

imported post

codename_47 wrote:
Hey, that is his own fault for letting them search.

yankees98a wrote:
His common law wife, Elizabeth Reynoso, consented to a search and police found another 20,000 rounds,

mega_shok.gif

PT111

imported post

MarkNH wrote:
In Massachusetts it is illegal to possess a firearm capable of accepting a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds unless you have a License to Carry Class A (LTC-A).

Definition:
A weapon is large capacity if it is a semi-automatic handgun or rifle that is capable of accepting (or readily modifiable to accept) any detachable large capacity feeding device that holds more than ten rounds, OR if it is a shotgun capable of accepting more than five shotgun shells, OR if it is an assault weapon.
Since most Glock's or similar pistols can accept mags with greater than 10 round capacity are they illegal. Or is there a difference in the 10 round models and 17 rounders besides just mag capacity?

imported post

Smoking 357,
I realized that some 30 years ago.
The truly sad part is, when I try to teach that simple concept, even HERE,
I get ridiculed/insulted.
As the late Jerry Clower often said, "there's no shame in BEIN stupid, the shame's in STAYIN stupid."
Obviously, Mr. Clower visited this board.

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Since most Glock's or similar pistols can accept mags with greater than 10 round capacity are they illegal. Or is there a difference in the 10 round models and 17 rounders besides just mag capacity?
They are illegal to possess unless you have a LTC-A.

In addition MA still has an assault weapon ban so any >10 capacity magazines must have been made on or before Sept 13th 1994.

There are also a ton of crazy laws concerning handguns and whether they are MA complaint, in order to be sold by a MA FFL to a resident (who is not a LEO) a handgun must either have been registered in MA on/before 10/21/98 or have been submitted by the manufacturer and passed a bunch of safety testing.

Glocks haven't passed testing so the only Glocks you can own in MA are ones that are pre 10/21/98, or ones that have been brought into MA by an incoming resident (these can be sold FTF, and 4 FTF transfers are allowed per person per year).

The most modern handguns that aren't certified to be sold in MA command high prices in FTF sales and can take a while to find one for sale (springfield XDs are a good example of this).

(again all the above is what I recall of MA law and may not be 100% correct, corrections to any inaccuracies are appreciated)

Rattrapper

imported post

The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, Is in deed a communist state with its own version of the KGB assisted by The Stazi. That state has "The Balls to call it self the cradle of Liberty" The founding fathers are rolling in thier graves. I defected from that state to New Hampshire, and soon to retire as well. Those gun laws are nothing but bulls**t and any one that goes out of thier way to enforce them are a**holes.

FMCDH

imported post

MarkNH wrote:
Wow, even worse than I thought. :(
And I thought California was bad.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't DHS and ATF (and DEA, FBI, ad infinitum) routinely buy large quantities of ammo? I wonder what they're planning to do with it...
"I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? Can gentlemen assign any other possible motive for it? ... They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other...Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!" Patrick Henry

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Just more reasons for not ever living anywhere that Elk do not naturally reside.

I feel sorry for the guy if he just did not know.

I hope they put him under the jail if he is purchasing for a gang.

Tomahawk

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't DHS and ATF (and DEA, FBI, ad infinitum) routinely buy large quantities of ammo? I wonder what they're planning to do with it...
"I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? Can gentlemen assign any other possible motive for it? ... They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other...Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!" Patrick Henry
Well played sir!

KS_to_CA

imported post

yankees98a wrote:
"...if he were to fire a gun for eight hours a day, it would take weeks for him to use all of it."

Yet it took them how long to count all 10K ammo? I would like to think it would be a lot faster to shoot 'em than to count 'em.