• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State sovereignty

Jonesy

imported post

Hmmm, this looks promising, have Springfield Glock and others assemble guns in Virginia, then no federal regs. The state has to pass a law for this to happen?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Pagan wrote:
Time to start making phone calls it seems.
Time to find out how the new candidates for state office stand on this issue.

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Twenty (20) states are considering this.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=88218

Virginia is not on the list - we need to push/prod/pull our legislators.

Yata hey

Virginiasubmitted a resolution on February 26 of this year called "House Resolution No. 61".

The problem as I understand it is a resolution has no power in law (please someone correct me here if this is in error).

ravonaf

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Virginiasubmitted a resolution on February 26 of this year called "House Resolution No. 61".

The problem as I understand it is a resolution has no power in law (please someone correct me here if this is in error).
The 10th amendment to the constitution is already the law of the land. The resolution just forces people to look at what apparently some have forgotten about.

SouthernBoy

imported post

ravonaf wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

The 10th amendment to the constitution is already the law of the land. The resolution just forces people to look at what apparently some have forgotten about.

Yes sir, I know that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land and the Bill of Rights is even more significant. What I was wondering is if a state offers a resolution, is it legally binding upon the state to adhere to its tenents or do the actions within have to go through the legislature and then on to the governor?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jonesy wrote:
Hmmm, this looks promising, have Springfield Glock and others assemble guns in Virginia, then no federal regs.
To hell with some established company assembling guns here. I'm not sure that would even work, since sending the parts here for assembly would be "interstate commerce" which Congress has legitimate control over. I'd rather see "the Virginia Gun Company, Inc." started right here, maybe in Richmond next to the old Tredegar Iron Works. Perhaps the state could give tax incentives for this, as it would employ a lot of our citizens and create a product that many would buy, especially because the purchases wouldn't be encumbered by federal "infringements".

I can dream, can't I?

SouthernBoy

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
Hmmm, this looks promising, have Springfield Glock and others assemble guns in Virginia, then no federal regs.
To hell with some established company assembling guns here. I'm not sure that would even work, since sending the parts here for assembly would be "interstate commerce" which Congress has legitimate control over. I'd rather see "the Virginia Gun Company, Inc." started right here, maybe in Richmond next to the old Tredegar Iron Works. Perhaps the state could give tax incentives for this, as it would employ a lot of our citizens and create a product that many would buy, especially because the purchases wouldn't be encumbered by federal "infringements".

I can dream, can't I?
Under the Constitution, congress has no power over interstate commerce other than "to keep and make regular" this mutual endeavor between the states. They have far exceeded their charge in this matter and it's about time the states called their hand in this evil intrusion.

Jonesy

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Jonesy wrote:

I can dream, can't I?
I guess I agree with you 100% sir.

SouthernBoy

imported post

hlh wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
doug23838 wrote:
Nice..

But THIS is what I think we really need.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124044199838345461.html
A Constitutional Convention is a two edged sword. I'm just not sure that we are ready for it yet though I think the mood of the country is swinging in our direction.

Yata hey
I agree. A Constitutional Convention could rewrite the Bill of Rights without the 2nd Amendment. There's nothing to keep whomever from throwing out what they want and writing in whatever else. Nothing scares me more than a constitutional convention run by liberals.

Amen to that.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
hlh wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
doug23838 wrote:
Nice..

But THIS is what I think we really need.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124044199838345461.html
A Constitutional Convention is a two edged sword. I'm just not sure that we are ready for it yet though I think the mood of the country is swinging in our direction.

Yata hey
I agree. A Constitutional Convention could rewrite the Bill of Rights without the 2nd Amendment. There's nothing to keep whomever from throwing out what they want and writing in whatever else. Nothing scares me more than a constitutional convention run by liberals.

Amen to that.
+2