• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How about a billboard

SpokaneIrish

imported post

Has anyone ever looked into the cost of a billboard to educate passers-by about the legality of OC. A billboard with a friendly looking person with a gun on her hip and some sort of public information announcement that Open Carry is legal and is not a threat could be interesting.

Manu

imported post

SpokaneIrish I think you must be drinking all weekend thats why you came up with such a nice idea. I think we should look into this possibility. I totally agree with you

fetch

imported post

SpokaneIrish,
At a couple of past meetings we talked about billboards and also the rolling advertisement on the STA transit buses. It is expensive.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
According to http://tinyurl.com/prft26, the cost of billboard advertising ranges from about $700 to $2,500 a month.
When Texasfirst startedrunning their billboards I looked into the price as well. Clearchannel owns most of the billboards in the area and charge by exposure rate. A bill board on some side street in Seattle will cost much less than a billboard on I-5 in downtown Seattle. For max exposure the avg price was near $5k.

bugly

imported post

There are companies out there that will do a "wrap" on a car or truck.
One such company is wrap-jax http://www.wrapjax.com/ they apply a vinyl covering to your car or whatever and it can have anything you want on it. should be cheaper and more mobile than a single billboard (which I have seen many of them in town in disrepair)

Seattle1911

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I'm no marketing guy, but I think the key here is to exploit viral (free) advertising. I'd bet ANY billboard placed on a side street in super-liberal Seattle is going to get lots of free press in the Times and other local rags. Being near I-5 doesn't seem as strong of a need. Might I suggest right down on Broadway in Capital Hill? Or down on Rainier Ave...

Of course, being in Seattle, it'll also get spray painted with FYM8Z QY! on the second night it's out, but that'll happen wherever you place it in this town...

FMCDH

imported post

Seattle1911 wrote:
Of course, being in Seattle, it'll also get spray painted with FYM8Z QY! on the second night it's out, but that'll happen wherever you place it in this town...
Maybe we need to set an Open Carry watch. Camping on a billboard service platform anyone? ;)

virgil47

imported post

I'm not sure if any of you are aware of the fact that there is a privately owned billboard on I-5 down by Chehalis. The owner is quite conservative and might be willing to put up a statement concerning the fact that open carry is legal in Washington state. He may be willing to put up a statement about open carry for free for a limited time as long as it wasn't an ad for an organization but just a statement of fact. I do not personally know this person or how to get in touch with him. If someone from opencarry.org were to find out who this individual is and contact him who knows what could come of it. Just a thought.:)

j2l3

imported post

Seattle1911 wrote:
I'm no marketing guy, but I think the key here is to exploit viral (free) advertising. I'd bet ANY billboard placed on a side street in super-liberal Seattle is going to get lots of free press in the Times and other local rags. Being near I-5 doesn't seem as strong of a need. Might I suggest right down on Broadway in Capital Hill? Or down on Rainier Ave...

Broadway and Ranier can hardly be called "side streets" and the price would reflect that.

5jeffro7

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Seattle1911 wrote:

Broadway and Ranier can hardly be called "side streets" and the price would reflect that.
if it's the one I'm thinking of, the owner never did, judging from the messages, care much for the government's meddling ways :cuss: