• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Gun Owners Coalition

Carpetbagger

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Can anyone tell me anything about the Virginia Gun Owners Coalition? I never heard of them until today. The website of Jerry Burch (Hanover delegate candidate) has a letter from the VGOC regarding their candidates survey.

VGOC's website says that "Virginia Gun Owners Coalition is Virginia’s only no-compromise, non-partisan gun lobby patterned after Gun Owners of America on Capitol Hill." I take this to be an insult to VCDL, which I don't really understand (I would hardly consider VCDL to be "compromising" and "partisan").

Any information would be appreciated.

nova

imported post

Well, I'm a VCDL member and I have seen first-hand why I give $25 to VCDL each year. Monthly meeting in NoVA hosted by the org.'s president, yearly lobby day, VA-ALERT, etc.

VCDL is routinely mentioned by VA politicians and newspapers as well. VCDL bugs the hell out of VA anti-gunners and that's enough for me alone to join.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

IMHO - No compromise, no middle ground, all or nothing can get you just that.

Better to have small pieces of the pie than none. The small pieces do add up.

Sort of like winning converts to our cause - demand that they all come over and it likely won't happen but one at a time adds up - if we all do our job.

VCDL is not just the president and the executive board - it is the collective strength of hundreds, thousands of active participants.

The above is worth ten times what you paid for it :) but I for one do believe VCDL is the most effective group that we have promoting our 2nd Amend. rights on a state level and occasionally on a national level.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
But more to the point, why have I never heard of VGOC before?
It looks like a new group. I didn't look at their lobby record, but I agree with Grapeshot. While VCDL is king, it doesn't hurt to have another voice.

I am the President of Virginia Gun Owners Coalition. Our greatest success was working with a 20 state no-compromise coalition of state gun lobbies to stop the renewal of the hated Clinton Gun Ban. Our latest project is stopping Dangerous ID, the anti-gun, so-called Real ID citizen control scheme. I was Ron Paul's National Ballot Access Coordinator. Donna Holt has graciously agreed to assist me in helping lead Virginia patriots like you to restore our Constitution. It all starts with the precinct. I am tasked with appointing county and district leaders. I am asking God for wisdom in that critical task and I am very open to suggestions. However, at this point, I want to try TEMPORARILY appointing those precinct leaders who do the best job of mobilizing their counties and districts against the bail out.
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/profile.php?member=pmmchugh

TexasNative

imported post

I was looking for useful information, not reposting of links already in the thread, and condescending statements of the obvious, Grapeshot.

In case my earlier question was confusing, I'll expand on it. Why isn't VGOC mentioned here in the Virginia forums much, if at all? You'd think that folks who are 2nd Amendment advocates would be talking up a group who also fights for our rights.

We talk about VCDL all the time here. Why isn't VGOC hardly ever mentioned?

~ Boyd

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
I was looking for useful information, not reposting of links already in the thread, and condescending statements of the obvious, Grapeshot.

In case my earlier question was confusing, I'll expand on it. Why isn't VGOC mentioned here in the Virginia forums much, if at all? You'd think that folks who are 2nd Amendment advocates would be talking up a group who also fights for our rights.

~ Boyd
Wasn't attempting to get on your pre-coffee side. :)

I'm not sure what "useful information" I can give to your question of "why."
Maybe it has to do with style or attitude.
Try VGOC and get as involved as you are inclined.

Yata hey

TexasNative

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Wasn't attempting to get on your pre-coffee side. :)
I had the same reaction last night when I first read your responses, and I'd had a good night's sleep and a couple of mugs of coffee this morning before I finally responded. I don't think low caffeine levels are pertinent.

Grapeshot wrote:
I'm not sure what 'useful information' I can give to your question of 'why.'
Respectfully, then, maybe you should leave it to someone else if it's a question you can't answer.

~ Boyd

Carpetbagger

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TexasNative wrote:

~ Boyd

Those are my thoughts exactly.

Based on how far off the radar VGOC seems to be, it must either be new or ineffective. Or my radar is broken. :)

TexasNative

imported post

Based on the date of the earliest newsletter on their web site, they've been around since at least 2004, so it doesn't appear that they're new.

~ Boyd

TexasNative

imported post

Thanks for the invitation, but I've got prior commitments this evening.

Plus, I'm asking about VGOC, not Campaign for Liberty. Are they synonymous?

~ Boyd

Marco

imported post

wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
But more to the point, why have I never heard of VGOC before?
It looks like a new group. I didn't look at their lobby record, but I agree with Grapeshot. While VCDL is king, it doesn't hurt to have another voice.

I am the President of Virginia Gun Owners Coalition. Our greatest success was working with a 20 state no-compromise coalition of state gun lobbies to stop the renewal of the hated Clinton Gun Ban. Our latest project is stopping Dangerous ID, the anti-gun, so-called Real ID citizen control scheme. I was Ron Paul's National Ballot Access Coordinator. Donna Holt has graciously agreed to assist me in helping lead Virginia patriots like you to restore our Constitution. It all starts with the precinct. I am tasked with appointing county and district leaders. I am asking God for wisdom in that critical task and I am very open to suggestions. However, at this point, I want to try TEMPORARILY appointing those precinct leaders who do the best job of mobilizing their counties and districts against the bail out.
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/profile.php?member=pmmchugh
I'm not inviting, just posting info.
I'm not a member of CFL or VCOG and will not be attending the dinner.

The Pres. of VGOC is a member/employee of Campaign for Libertyhe appointed CFL members as precinct leaders.

That would lead me to believe the two groups are at least intertwined.
Per the link I provided CFL asked a CFL employee/member to gather OC'ers for a OC dinner.

ETA:
Prior to this thread I had never heard of this Gun Rights organization.:?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The reason you haven't heard of VGOC is because it is a one man show run by 'Mad' Mike McHugh. He's pretty ineffective largely because he is personally so caustic he turns off many politicians. He doesn't seem to have any practical political sense from what I've seen of him in 'action' testifying in committee meetings.
Bottom line throw your support to real organizations like VCDL or VSSA, preferably VCDL.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Carpetbagger wrote:
Can anyone tell me anything about the Virginia Gun Owners Coalition? I never heard of them until today. The website of Jerry Burch (Hanover delegate candidate) has a letter from the VGOC regarding their candidates survey.

VGOC's website says that "Virginia Gun Owners Coalition is Virginia’s only no-compromise, non-partisan gun lobby patterned after Gun Owners of America on Capitol Hill." I take this to be an insult to VCDL, which I don't really understand (I would hardly consider VCDL to be "compromising" and "partisan").

Any information would be appreciated.
From what I've seen, they're not a "coalition" at all, but a few people whose efforts are largely unfocused.

At least, that's my perception from the few written materials (badly written, I might add, but then I'm a grammarian and proofreader) I've seen. I've seen pieces castigating purported gun-rights politicians for not answering poorly worded questions, etc.

Before I join an organization, I like to know something about it, and what I saw of VCOG didn't convince me it was worth my time.

Just my $0.02.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I sent an e-mail to VCOG and the response I got was from "Mike" and he stated that VCDL was a bad organization and often sided with the wrong side. I was amazed at this guy's words and never responded. I looked at the links he sent me and they stated that VCDL had supported some candidate that was an anti and VCDL was not in the best interests of gun owners. Why would this guy bad mouth VCDL?

SEABEE-94

imported post

Page 8 of the vgoc newsletterstates that mr. McHugh demands an apology from theVCDL, well my friend when you start demanding things you will NEVER get anything. The last time I checked VCDL was and is Pro-Gun and I am a member. Also he states that he wants to reform VCDL a good starting point is to reform yourself and choose words more carefully.Mr. McHugh also wants VCDL members to ask them to apologize for an endorsement of a politician this will not happen with me.any organization with the word coalition with it makes me alitte skeptical.

"Can Do"