• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SERPA for Taurus Model 85?

Rick Finsta

imported post

Does anyone know if the Blackhawk SERPA sportsters for the J-frame fit the Taurus Model 85? Midway says they do, but I can't find any in stock locally and I refuse to carry openly without retention.

I am going to start carrying more often when out and about, but if anything gets confiscated uopn false detention or arrest I'd rather it be my revolver than my .45...

jeeper1

imported post

It does NOT fit. I bought one for my Taurus 85 and it does not fit because the underbarrel lug is too big. When I tried to insert the revolver it gouged the inside.

Rick Finsta

imported post

Okay, thanks.

The search for a good retention holster for this thing is really making me mad at Cabelas. I was going to buy a J-frame (same price nowadays for a 637 or 442 as a Taurus 85) but I couldn't get anyone to even talk to me at the counter. After 30 minutes of trying to get someone's attention, I left and went to Badger.

Oh, well. I guess I can always get an Uncle Mike's or something; that's what I use for my .45 around the neighborhood, anyways.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm sure if you check around the internet, you will find an acceptable leather holster with a retention strap for your Taurus 85. It's a popular pistol, so you'd be better off finding something suitable than spending money on an Uncle Mike's job that you won't want to use much.

My wife has a Taurus 85 snubbie, and I picked up a holster with a retention strapfor her some time ago. I don't remember the make and model, but it fit perfectly, so there's stuff out there.

jeeper1

imported post

Here is an unnamed holster that I bought about 10 years ago for $5. It is ambidextrous and will work IWB and OWB depending on which belt loop or clip you use. As you can see it is a retention holster. Everything can be flipped from side to side for however you want to carry you revolver. I carried it IWB crossdraw.
aurus85andholster001.jpg

aurus85andholster003.jpg

aurus85andholster006.jpg