• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scott Walker - MIA on OC?

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Why isn't Scott Walker commenting on the illegal Milwaukee County park ordinance? :uhoh:

He canget rid of it very easily by having legislation introduced. Time for him to step up to the plate and show by actions if he would be a governor that will uphold the federal and state constitutions.

patriotguy

imported post

I recently spoke with my state representative who knows Walker well. Scott Walker will be a friend to gun owners. He will be the governor who will allow OC and CC in Wisconsin. As he is just starting his campaign for governor, I wouldn't jump on him for not hitting every issue immediately.
As far as him getting legislation introduced, he is a county executive not a legislator. Someone else would have to introduce legislation, if we're talking about state statutes.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll tell ya what happened. I talked to the office of Scott Walker multiple times regarding the ordinance not being in non-compliance. I stayed polite and professional. However his secretary got pretty angry with me, she said that Scott Walkers office checked the legality of it and said it was not in non compliance!!! She said the ordinance was fine and legal.I was like WTF!? I asked if I could talk to Mr. Walker himself, she said no and not to call back....... I don't know if I'm going to vote for this guy! Give his office a call and figure it out for yourselves if you doubt me! As I said I was very polite, so if you do call please be polite to even if the secretary gets disgruntled.

Give him a call; Phone: 414-278-4211 Scott Walker's office

He dropped the ball big time on this one!

Ben

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I went to school with Scott Walkers brother. (Scott was out of school by the time I got to HS) I know Scott Walkers family, and I have supported Scott Walker in his candidacy for County Exec, the primary last time around before he stepped aside for 'his' party for Mark Green in the last gubernatorial race, and I will be supporting Scott Walker again this time for governor.

Scott Walker is a man of principle. He will do right by our rights.

As a libertarian I know there are a few issues that I would probably not agree with Scott on, but I'm confident that gun rights are not one of them. I'm not interested in political campaigns. To be honest, they make me sick. I don't care what politicians "say" on the campaign trail as much as I care what they "do" when they are in office. The executive branch of government doesn't make law, the legislature does that. Ben, you are barking up the wrong tree going after Scott for a county ordinance. Scott is a good man, but he is not "king". He can't just make it go away. The county board can. But I am confident (though I haven't spoken to him on it) that if the county board sent Scott a resolution changing the firearm prohibition, he would sign it.

Ben, you need to contact your county board representative.

patriotguy

imported post

Does anyone think that the Milwaukee County board, who overrides Scott Walker's budgets showing fiscal responsibility, will support gun rights?

This is Milwaukee County we're talking about here!

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Nope, but the fact still remains, Scott Walker can't act arbitrarily. Any sooner than governor doyle could just say "I'm going to eliminate the RKBA amendment from the state constitution"

If his office asked for a legal opinion and got it, what can he do? Again, he's not king. Fortunately for us as citizens the separation of powers is such.

We have several options. Get the county board to send him a reslolution to change it. (I doubt they will)

Defeat it in a civil court of law with a constitutionality challenge (probably our best bet)

Now if Scott Walker disrespected the rule of law and separation of powers like President Obama does... Who knows what he could do. But as a man of principle, Scott knows the limitations of the power of his elected office given to him by the people who elected him and he can't just unilaterally make that kind of change.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nik, I don't doubt he is a good guy. I actually applaud him on his budget. I am mainly a libertarian too. But I was kind of befumbled that I was able to talk and discuss this ordinance with the sheriff's office for 20 minutes, and yet I couldn't speak to Mr. Walker at all about it. I have contacted my county representative (patricia Jerzick). And she then forwarded me to the corporation counsel. I don't know, I guess I'm just looking for someone to say "hey that is in conflict with the pre-emption statute, we gotta do something about it!" But I doubt I will find anyone like that.

Time to give the corporation counsel a call.

Ben

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

No offense Ben, but I think Scott has better things to do than talk to every OC'er that wants to call and chat about something he already had his staff ask for a legal opinion on. The county executive is bound by the law. If his staff checked for a legal opinion from their legal advisors what else do you want them to do? They can't change the law. If its a 'grey area' then the courts need to decide.

Considering their are 953,000+ residents of Milwaukee County I just don't think the County Exec can be expected to personally speak to anyone who wants to call and chat. His staff must handle that kind of thing for him.

Given the number of people in the county, that is the reason we have county board representatives who represent a MUCH smaller group of constituents and can devote much more time to you and your questions etc.

1 county exec per 953,000

19 county board supervisors = 1 supervisor per 50,100 ppl.

We know gun laws in wisconsin are an ambiguous mess. We either need legislators to repeal them, or courts to toss them out as unconstitutional. Scott walker is neither a legislator nor a judge. He cannot make law. But as I said before, if the county board introduces legislation to repeal the park firearm ban I'm confident Scott Walker would sign it.

If you want him out there cheerleading for it... Well... While I do believe that most of the people in this state DO support our right to OC, I DON'T think they are all very motivated to do anything about it as WE are. Hell with all the members we have here, many weren't even willing to toss a couple bucks in the pot for radio ads.

If you want a county executive who's running for governor to make open carry the champion issue of his campaign, we'd BETTER be able to rally enough support behind him to make it a winning issue for him. If not, then lets just be happy that we have a governor who WILL sign any pro-gun legislation that makes it to his desk! DOYLE WON'T.

edit: and I mean no disrespect when I say Scott Walker doesn't have time to talk to you. I have done business with the county executive's office on a PET PROJECT of Walkers back in 2003-4 and I didn't even speak or meet with him until the day of the news conference. I dealt with staffers every step of the way. I also did business with Mayor Norquist and same thing. I dealt with his staffers 95% of the time until it came time to realease the software we were creating, then I finally met him. (and if I do say Mayor Norquist had way hotter staffers... I digress) ;)