• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun belt carry

Clay 11A

imported post

I was just curious if anyone carries on a holster on a gun belt that isn't the one threaded through their belt loops. I mean a gun belt that's probably 2" wide or wider. It would be convenient because you could take your holster and mag pouches off without unthreading your belt, but still have a stable system. Or is all of that just far too "wild west".

If you do, you should show off pictures.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Clay 11A wrote:
I was just curious if anyone carries on a holster on a gun belt that isn't the one threaded through their belt loops. I mean a gun belt that's probably 2" wide or wider. It would be convenient because you could take your holster and mag pouches off without unthreading your belt, but still have a stable system. Or is all of that just far too "wild west".

If you do, you should show off pictures.

Everyday! I have no idea why anybody carries on their 'pants belt'. This 1911 is carried cross draw at 10 O-Clock where it does not interfere with a seat belt or my left hand.

This is a Bianchi MilitaryUM-84 with the flap removed and a thumb break strap (that Bianchi makes) added. Mag pouch is also Bianchi with the plastic inserts removed to accept .45acp mags. (Originally is made for 9mm mags.) The belt is nylon w/E-buckle.

I live in what was the heart of the old 'wild west'... 'n what worked then still does. 'Much easier to just remove the gun belt 'n hang it up. Less handling of the pistol 'n all that.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Well, I've got a pistol belt with a Bianchi M12 holster, but I usually find it more comfortable just to wear a leather Galco belt loop belt. The belt loops also pull down on the belt when you pull up on the gun, which makes drawing a lot easier. I find that the whole belt likes to move up when drawing from a pistol belt.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

That's 'cause you're wearing it strong side. 'Don't happen with cross draw. (Didn't happen in the 1870's-'80's when most pistols were carried butt reversed'n don't happen now.)

jerg_064

imported post

I think this is a "GREAT" idea. It's kind of like a paddle holster where you can switch between any pants/shorts without fumbling with belt loops.

But with a "gun belt" I could wear it in sweat pants or sweat shorts when I'm just walking up the street to a friends or going to the closet store for some milk without worring about the holster/hangun pulling my pants down.

Clay 11A

imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
I think this is a "GREAT" idea. It's kind of like a paddle holster where you can switch between any pants/shorts without fumbling with belt loops.

But with a "gun belt" I could wear it in sweat pants or sweat shorts when I'm just walking up the street to a friends or going to the closet store for some milk without worring about the holster/hangun pulling my pants down.
That's exactly why I asked. It just seems very convenient. The concern of the belt coming up wearing it strong side does seems like the only real disadvantage. But it certainly has the advantage of giving you the ability to easily take it off if you want to sit down on the couch and watch TV without a gun or holster stuck between you and your girlfriend/wife/dog whatever. Or any other circumstance where it'd just be nice to have a quick on off without using a paddle holster.

jerg_064

imported post

You don't even have to take it off! you can just rotate your belt, it'll take a 1/2 second to go from normal strong side draw to cross draw.

Also if you ever need to use a public bathroom you don't have to worry about taking it off and setting it down some where else either.

My ABU uniform belts are about 2" thick and my Blackhawk serpa beltloop holster fits quite snug on them, I will definietly try this when I get home.(in september)

Clay 11A

imported post

yeah, I've got one of those last resort belts that I wear with my ACUs, it's real thick and sturdy. I was thinking I'd just use that with my comp-tac holster.

jerg_064

imported post

Right-on man.. Ya know it's funny, for the last couple of days I've been thinking about trying to get an actual "old west" brown leather style gun belt for my S&W 686. Good timing Clay.:celebrate

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Public restroom (if ya gotta sit)... take it off... fasten the buckle 'n hang the rig around your neck. You WILL NOT forget it... no matter what.

Clay 11A

imported post

Jerg, you should just get something like this:

urbane.jpg

I found that at www.andrewsleather.com today.