Thread: question from out of state

Post imported post

I lived in WI all my life but last year moved to Iowa, where my wife if from originally. I have permits from Iowa and Utah. I do come back to see family quite often, but makes me sick to stop before I cross the Miss. river to disarm. Ok here is the question, can a non resident open carry in WI??

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

lowdog wrote:
    I lived in WI all my life but last year moved to Iowa, where my wife if from originally. I have permits from Iowa and Utah. I do come back to see family quite often, but makes me sick to stop before I cross the Miss. river to disarm. Ok here is the question, can a non resident open carry in WI??
    YES!!, As long as you are legal to own and possess a firearm, you can carry it. Research the state laws so you know what area's are off-limits (Alcohol, Schools, Govt. buildings) and you will be legal. Depending on where you are at, you may get some harrassment by law enforcement though.

I have read that Iowa is tight on issuing CCW permits, they are a "May Issue" state and not a "shall issue". What kind of flamng hoops did you need to jump through to get yours?

Post imported post

each county in Iowa is different. some counties are shall issue. some are may issue and some are no issue. I happen to live in a county that is shall issue. sheriff did the background check enrolled me into class and done.
    do you have a link to the state statues on open carry? If I do it I surely want to make sure I am following the letter of the law.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

this thread might help http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/25975.html

its a doozey!

(edit: doozey or doosey? idk )

Post imported post

skamp wrote:
    this thread might help http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/25975.html

its a doozey!

(edit: doozey or doosey? idk )

I read the whole thread. Do I assume since it does not address open carry for non-residents that it is ok??

Post imported post

To quote Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir!" Open carry is legal for anyone who can legally possess a firearm. State of residence is not an issue. Again, just be aware of places to avoid and the relative novelty of OC in urban areas of Wisconsin.

Don't know what part of Iowa you're from or which part of WI you frequent, but you mentioned crossing the Mississippi into Wisconsin, which narrows it down to a bridge at Lansing, Prairie du Chien or Dubuque. I'm giving some consideration of OCing at the Rendevous in Prairie du Chien next month. No school zones to worry about in that part of town. I'm sure I wouldn't get a second look sporting a cap and ball revolver at the Rendevous..... but my Glock might get a second look.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Dubuque is where I cross over. I head up 151 thru Madison to the West Bend area.