• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question from out of state

lowdog

imported post

I lived in WI all my life but last year moved to Iowa, where my wife if from originally. I have permits from Iowa and Utah. I do come back to see family quite often, but makes me sick to stop before I cross the Miss. river to disarm. Ok here is the question, can a non resident open carry in WI??

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

lowdog wrote:
I lived in WI all my life but last year moved to Iowa, where my wife if from originally. I have permits from Iowa and Utah. I do come back to see family quite often, but makes me sick to stop before I cross the Miss. river to disarm. Ok here is the question, can a non resident open carry in WI??

YES!!, As long as you are legal to own and possess a firearm, you can carry it. Research the state laws so you know what area's are off-limits (Alcohol, Schools, Govt. buildings) and you will be legal. Depending on where you are at, you may get some harrassment by law enforcement though.

I have read that Iowa is tight on issuing CCW permits, they are a "May Issue" state and not a "shall issue". What kind of flamng hoops did you need to jump through to get yours?

lowdog

imported post

each county in Iowa is different. some counties are shall issue. some are may issue and some are no issue. I happen to live in a county that is shall issue. sheriff did the background check enrolled me into class and done.
do you have a link to the state statues on open carry? If I do it I surely want to make sure I am following the letter of the law.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

To quote Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir!" Open carry is legal for anyone who can legally possess a firearm. State of residence is not an issue. Again, just be aware of places to avoid and the relative novelty of OC in urban areas of Wisconsin.

Don't know what part of Iowa you're from or which part of WI you frequent, but you mentioned crossing the Mississippi into Wisconsin, which narrows it down to a bridge at Lansing, Prairie du Chien or Dubuque. I'm giving some consideration of OCing at the Rendevous in Prairie du Chien next month. No school zones to worry about in that part of town. I'm sure I wouldn't get a second look sporting a cap and ball revolver at the Rendevous..... but my Glock might get a second look.