• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carrry in county parks

kentuckyshiner85

imported post

I was in scott co. park today and read the rules of the park. It stated that no firearms permitted on the property. Is it legal for the county to stop me from carrying in the park? I thought that only a state law could prohibit me from carrying. Can someone enlighten me of the laws?:banghead:

zer0cool

imported post

Have you ever bought drapes? They look good but they don't really do anything...

That's what this basically is, window dressing. It looks good on the sign to the antis but it does nothing because they cannot enforce it. They can tell you that you cannot discharge a firearm in the park, but they cant tell you that you cannot posses one. :cuss:

Walkeraviator

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
imported post

From my understanding, zero is correct. The state has preemption which means that no county, city, municipality, etc. can make gun control laws more restrictive than teh state. The only exception is in buildings owned by and assembled in by local gov't.

They cannot even ask you to leave if they catch you with it if i am correct.

BusinessCards

imported post

The problem here is that the police can ask you to leave the park and they can enforce that sign. They can do what they want. You mite win in court, but your day has been ruined. Devou Park in NKY has signs specifically for the prohibition of guns in the park and belive me, the rangers will bust your chops if caught with a gun.

Brian D.

imported post

BusinessCards wrote:
The problem here is that the police can ask you to leave the park and they can enforce that sign. They can do what they want. You mite win in court, but your day has been ruined. Devou Park in NKY has signs specifically for the prohibition of guns in the park and belive me, the rangers will bust your chops if caught with a gun.
How can a city park's rules negate statewide preemption ofthose verythings?? I live in Cincy and have seen those signs in Devou as well. To my understanding they serve no purpose other than perhaps making the grasseaters who live nearby "feel safer". Given Kentucky's preemption I cannot fathom how those signs could truly carry any legal standing?

8th ID

imported post

Brian D. wrote:
BusinessCards wrote:
How can a city park's rules negate statewide preemption ofthose verythings?? I live in Cincy and have seen those signs in Devou as well. To my understanding they serve no purpose other than perhaps making the grasseaters who live nearby "feel safer". Given Kentucky's preemption I cannot fathom how those signs could truly carry any legal standing?
I don't believe they carry any weight. I just had the cc class on Saturday and I have checked all statutes and the preemption rules...I guess it's like you say...the tree huggers feel safe to drink their latte while planning how to take people's gun rights away...off the subject, I read in another post that all mass shootings where more than 3 people were killed all took place in gun free zones...interesting isn't it...well I'm not a gun free zone:lol:

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

gutshot wrote:
The prohibition of firearms in buildings owned by county or city gov't only applies to concealed carry and then only if they pass a county ordinance (executive/administrative order is invalid). Open spaces cannot be restricted. Open carry is OK if concealed carry is restricted by ordinance. Courtrooms are off limits to all carry.

So I can open carry at the dog park?

Or the Skate parkwhere I take my kidwhere I spend6 hours sitting around watchingroughneck kids annoy and harrass people???

You think they would give me a hard time because it is a skate park where alot of kids hang out?

I want to carry there precisely because it is a place that alot of rather ghetto teenagers and creepy early 30's guys seem to hang out.

kentuckyshiner85

imported post

I am very thankful for all the help and I will be trying to have the issue resolved as soon as possible . If I am unable I will be looking for help if the offer is still on the table.