• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was this an Open Carry Bank? Wachovia on Portsmouth Blvd

NavyVA

imported post

Found a post that stated that WellsFargo bought Wachovia, appear to be gun friendly. Don't know about this branch specifically though.

I was also reading that I guess around 2007-2008 there were several bank robberies to Hampton Roads branch NFCU's which is why I think they now enforce the no hoodies, no sunglasses security. You think they would figure out by now that stating they are OC unfriendly only affects law abiding citizens.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Wachovia has been very gun unfriendly with signs posted at entrances.

Wells Fargo who bought Wachovia has been purported to follow local laws and would seem to be quite friendly.

All No Guns signs have been removed from the central Florida branches of Wachovia
according to a contact there. I expect this to happen in Virginia soon.

Just check the entrance for signage before you go in.

Yata hey

wylde007

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Just check the entrance for signage before you go in.
Sign = conceal.

I know it's not the "right" thing to do, but the right thing to do would be not to restrict our Constitutional rights, especially in a place where thousands of dollars change hands every day in plain sight.

Derp.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Sign=Change banks.

That's what I did a couple of years ago.

Why should I work around their rules so that I can give them business?

Sun Trust is gun-friendly. I open carried when I opened my account, and every time I visit.

wylde007

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Sun Trust is gun-friendly. I open carried when I opened my account, and every time I visit.
Strangely, the one on the Blvd near Home Depot has been robbed twice in the past year but the Wachovia a block away hasn't been robbed once that I know of.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

SunTrust is OC-friendly. I OC in my branch regularly. Wachovia still has the "Ghostbuster" sign on the door, so I CC when I go there (as I did today).

Will WellsFargo change this?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Sign = conceal.

I know it's not the "right" thing to do, but the right thing to do would be not to restrict our Constitutional rights, especially in a place where thousands of dollars change hands every day in plain sight.

Derp.

Forget about it not being the "right thing to do". ITS THE LAW. If you don't like the law, either help change it, follow it, or respect it and go elsewhere for your banking, but never advocate breaking it. Are the rights of the private property owners any less important than your right to keep and bear arms? Would you tell me that your 2A rights are more important than the rules I set forth in my private property?

I don't like "no guns" signs any more than anyone else, but I adhere to the rules of an orderly society and do what is within my power to effect change.

NovaCop

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
Sign = conceal.

Derp.

Forget about it not being the "right thing to do". ITS THE LAW. If you don't like the law, either help change it, follow it, or respect it and go elsewhere for your banking, but never advocate breaking it. Are the rights of the private property owners any less important than your right to keep and bear arms? Would you tell me that your 2A rights are more important than the rules I set forth in my private property?

I don't like "no guns" signs any more than anyone else, but I adhere to the rules of an orderly society and do what is within my power to effect change.
Proshooter- I agree with you completely. Don't listen to Wylde...he has shown to be immoral and ignorant in many previous posts. I am not against OC (actually much for the 2A), but am much for promoting laws and morals. If a private business owner (Wachovia) wants to ban guns, they have the Right to do so. If you don't agree... then don't give them your business. You have no RIGHT to carry into a private business otherwise. You should respect their right of private property as the government (police) should respect your right to OC. Don't be a hypocrite.

TFred

imported post

Can someone remind me again where in the code it states that it is a criminal offense to disobey a sign posted by a business or other private property owner?

I fully understand criminal trespass if you refuse to leave when asked by competent authority.

I was very much under the impression that in Virginia, privately posted "no guns" signs did not carry any criminal penalties on their own.

Thanks.

TFred

simmonsjoe

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
Sign = conceal.

Derp.

Proshooter- I agree with you completely. Don't listen to Wylde...he has shown to be immoral and ignorant in many previous posts. I am not against OC (actually much for the 2A), but am much for promoting laws and morals. If a private business owner (Wachovia) wants to ban guns, they have the Right to do so. If you don't agree... then don't give them your business. You have no RIGHT to carry into a private business otherwise. You should respect their right of private property as the government (police) should respect your right to OC. Don't be a hypocrite.
It's called conscious objector.

Wylde has shown to be immoral and ignorant? You have shown to be an elitest and support peasant mentality. As far as your concerned, if its law, its moral right and wrong until changed. Law and morality are not the same thing. They don't overlap nearly enough. I have met Wylde007 and he is a nice family man who holds morals and principals above the law. It's called a personal code. People who don't let the gov't think for them can develop them.

I don't always agree with Wylde007, but he thinks for himself and learns from those around him.

NoVAcop10- Separate your personal thoughts from how you have to think at work. Just because you have to sell the kool-aide doesn't mean you gotta drink it.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

TFred, I'd be interested in reading that one, too. Anyone have Chapter and Verse for me?

Amongthe places I'm in Jeff Cooper's Condition Yellow ("Yellow +", bordering on "Orange"); Banks lead the list. I try to stay in Condition Yellow while I'm awake and have tried to instill this "discipline" in my family as well. Any establishment that looks like a "tasty" target to BG's that isn't on the Federal or state "NO CARRY" list, I will be carrying. Sometimes it is a better tactical decision to CC. We all know this.

I'm sure most in here will agree OCing is mostly a political statement and our way of demonstrating and sharing our love of the Constitution with others. It can also be a wonderful deterrent to crime as many of us have demonstrated (sometimes unwittingly).

What is WELLS FARGO's position about OCing?

TFred

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

Wells Fargo is generally known to be OK with open or concealed carry. It has been discussed in other threads here that Wachovia will likely convert along with the other name/face updates which come with the merger process. Last I saw, someone said it would be sometime this fall.

TFred

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

TFred wrote:
Can someone remind me again where in the code it states that it is a criminal offense to disobey a sign posted by a business or other private property owner?

I fully understand criminal trespass if you refuse to leave when asked by competent authority.

I was very much under the impression that in Virginia, privately posted "no guns" signs did not carry any criminal penalties on their own.

Thanks.

TFred
You're right. Such signs and/or business policies carry no power of law in and of themselves here. It's only if you refuse to leave and the business takes the decision to contact the police and request a trespassing charge that you would come under some violation.

INAL so I welcome corrections if I am wrong with this.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Playing devil's advocate here.

Suppose you enter a Wachovia bank to conduct your business, unarmed as is their policy. The bank is moderately busy and as it generally is with banks, there is a line at the teller's stations and a bit of a wait.

Suddenly, two people burst into the bank, guns drawn, shouting loudly and demanding money - from tellers and customers. A teller drops something that causes one of the robbers to open fire and several people are hit.

Where is your idea about following the bank's policy now? Are you finding yourself wishing you hadn't taken your gun off in the car as you see a few more people in the bank go down to gunfire?

I will freely admit that there are times when I go into certain businesses and shopping complexes/malls which have posted signs banning firearms and one of my little friends is concealed on my person, invisible to all. These sorts of places are known to me to have a history of problems such as gang activity, fights, robberies, and more. However, because of what I am in there for, I have little choice but to take my business there. You can bet I am going in armed. My life and well being far exceeds any silly and ridiculous rules and policies they may wish to impose. I don't go to places such as this often, but when I do, I take a friend along.

NovaCop

imported post

I'm not saying that you shouldn't carry into a bank, I actually think you should carry (concealed). I merely support a business owner being allowed to conduct his business how he or she chooses and believe we should respect that. Obviously you wouldn't be breaking a law if you ignored the sign. There are other banks that do not restrict guns that you can join. I even support trying to inform them of your stance and reasons why in an effort to change their policies. I think that's the best way to change views, I believe it's "ed" who sends those cards or letters? That and keeping a positive and clean image of OCing would help too.

I could see why a bank would not want people openly carrying guns inside. Many people are not familiar with OC/laws. It would be very easy to cause public alarm inside. Also, there's a good chance someone that sees you walking inside would call 9-1-1 and report an armed bank robbery in progress. You may end up getting drawn on and cuffed, which I don't think would be much fun. Another reason why I would never OC in a bank....if there is an armed robbery, if the robber or robbers see your gun, most likely they will respond right away by shooting you. Huge tactical disadvantage for that situation.

On a side note, I use online banking.

jadedone4

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
TFred, I'd be interested in reading that one, too. Anyone have Chapter and Verse for me?

Amongthe places I'm in Jeff Cooper's Condition Yellow ("Yellow +", bordering on "Orange"); Banks lead the list. I try to stay in Condition Yellow while I'm awake and have tried to instill this "discipline" in my family as well. Any establishment that looks like a "tasty" target to BG's that isn't on the Federal or state "NO CARRY" list, I will be carrying. Sometimes it is a better tactical decision to CC. We all know this.

I'm sure most in here will agree OCing is mostly a political statement and our way of demonstrating and sharing our love of the Constitution with others. It can also be a wonderful deterrent to crime as many of us have demonstrated (sometimes unwittingly).

Folks - preaching to a very WELL-versed crowd here; but we are ALL adults, our decisions are our own - if you CC where posted "no-guns" remember you do so at personal peril; however, OPENLY posting such a position on an OPEN forum such as this..... can you imagine if you EVER are faced with having to defend yourself/actions as a result of firing a shot - how the opposing counsel (be it State or Civil) will present such comments to a jury....?

... be smart, be safe...!

virginiatuck

anonymity

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Folks - preaching to a very WELL-versed crowd here; but we are ALL adults, our decisions are our own - if you CC where posted "no-guns" remember you do so at personal peril; however, OPENLY posting such a position on an OPEN forum such as this..... can you imagine if you EVER are faced with having to defend yourself/actions as a result of firing a shot - how the opposing counsel (be it State or Civil) will present such comments to a jury....?

Don't use your real name on these forums, don't tell people you meet from here what your name is, and use anonymous proxy chains; the more the better.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't use your real name on these forums, don't tell people you meet from here what your name is, and use anonymous proxy chains; the more the better.

We are all so VERY easy to locate under these circumstances. Your IP address will lead them right to your front door.

Not only is it a part and parcel of OCDO that you own your words after posting them, it is a matter of good common sense - don't say anything even in jest that maybe, might possibly will turn and bite you in the nether regions at a later date.

SouthernBoy

MSC 45ACP wrote:

Good points indeed. However, an attorney once told me (a year ago) that if you have to shoot in self-defense, the issue is not going to be work you may have had done on the gun's trigger. His point was the fact that the 800-pound gorilla in the room is going to be whether or not the actions were excusable (we're talking Virginia here).

So CC'ing into a mall which has experienced a history of problems up to and including violent crimes against patrons, is prudent from the stand point that if you found you had to use your firearm, that would be the issue in question. Granted, a civil case could be approached differently.

INAL, so I welcome comments/corrections to this. I guess it comes down to a very simple question. Which is more important? Your life and well being or obeying a policy? The third option is to not go into areas such as this at all. This is what I do unless I have no other choices available to me.