• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mark Shurtleff Announcement: Taking Back America

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

This is an announcement that my wife received on Facebook. Attorney General Shurtleff if going to challenge Senator Bennett for his Senate Seat.

Packingmama and I plan on attending this event on Wednesday while carrying openly. Join us! :celebrate

Event: Shurtleff Announcement
"The formal announcement and press conference"
What: Protest
Host: Mark Shurtleff
Start Time: Wednesday, May 20 at 12:30pm
End Time: Wednesday, May 20 at 1:00pm
Where: South Steps at the Utah State Capitol

Mark Shurtleff wrote
It's time to take this country back from Washington and Washington's Elite, back to Principles instead of Broken Promises! I invite you to join me on May 20th at 12:30 on the Capitol Steps for my announcement about a Senate Campaign and how we, the people, can Take Back America

UTOC-45-44

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
This is an announcement that my wife received on Facebook. Attorney General Shurtleff if going to challenge Senator Bennett for his Senate Seat.

Packingmama and I plan on attending this event on Wednesday while carrying openly. Join us! :celebrate

Event: Shurtleff Announcement
"The formal announcement and press conference"
What: Protest
Host: Mark Shurtleff
Start Time: Wednesday, May 20 at 12:30pm
End Time: Wednesday, May 20 at 1:00pm
Where: South Steps at the Utah State Capitol

Mark Shurtleff wrote
It's time to take this country back from Washington and Washington's Elite, back to Principles instead of Broken Promises! I invite you to join me on May 20th at 12:30 on the Capitol Steps for my announcement about a Senate Campaign and how we, the people, can Take Back America

I wish I could be there. I don't until 12:30:cuss:

TJ

mqondo

imported post

They had to do it in the middle of the day? Geesh. I would love to be there, but have to work.

swillden

imported post

I was there, with my wife and daughter. Ran into SGT Jensen, packingmama and jaredbelch.

I think Mark Shurtleff will make a fine Senator, and I'm very glad to vote Bennett out, but I will miss him as AG. He's done a lot of good to make sure that we can actually exercise the rights that the legislature has chosen to allow us. I don't know many public officials who hand out their cellphone number and encourage citizens in trouble to call them.

His speech was pretty decent, and I sure hope he does what he says he's going to do.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

It was a good time. Total there was 7 of us open carriers, with no issues to report. :D

Myself, my wife and her parents, b1ack5mith was there with his family, swillden with his family, and jaredbelch.

swillden

imported post

Bflamante wrote:
I would support the guy if he could just get his head screwed on about illegal immigration. :banghead:
What's his position on immigration?

EDIT: I found what you're talking about on the Wikipedia page about him.

Of course, I agree completely with him, so it just makes me like him even more :)

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What you don't find in his self written bio on Wiki is that during the immigration marches last year he took the mic and told the crowd that he will not prosecute them for being here illegally. That being illegal does not justify an arrest. He is a back room pro Amnesty candidate. There is my problem with him. The Utah Minuteman Project has nothing good to say about him on his immigration stance either. I just want a Republican that acts like one rather than these half breeds that keep running for office.

swillden

imported post

Bflamante wrote:
last year he took the mic and told the crowd that he will not prosecute them for being here illegally. That being illegal does not justify an arrest. He is a back room pro Amnesty candidate. There is my problem with him. The Utah Minuteman Project has nothing good to say about him on his immigration stance either. I just want a Republican that acts like one rather than these half breeds that keep running for office.
Umm, I don't believe Shurtleff could prosecute them for being here illegally if he wanted to. Immigration law is federal law, and the state Attorney General has no authority to prosecute in federal court. I think that was a bit of the politician in Shurtleff coming out -- it's always nice for a politician when he can score points by making a promise that he couldn't break if he wanted to.

Also, I agree that being here without permission does not justify an arrest. In fact, assuming the individual entered legally (around half do), then they haven't even broken any laws. That's why many people prefer to call them "undocumented" rather than "illegal" -- because "illegal" implies lawbreaking which may not have occurred.

I strongly agree with his position that it's not the responsibility of state agencies to enforce federal immigration laws. That's what the INS is for. Yes, it would make their job easier if the state and local governments would help out, but it would also require citizens to prove their own citizenship every time they interact with government. Many things that might make the government's job easier are a bad idea.

I guess the bottom line to me is that I don't want a "Republican that acts like one". What I want is a libertarian/constitutionalist who has a chance of getting elected, and while Shurtleff isn't perfect, he's pretty close.

b1ack5mith

imported post

Bflamante wrote:
I would support the guy if he could just get his head screwed on about illegal immigration. :banghead:
HERE HERE! i completely agree, infact, my mother (who was with us) yelled at him from afar, to enforce our immigration laws... he just looked at her like she was crazy. "Taking back our country" will not ONLY include taking it from the people who were elected by us... but also taking it back from the illegals who have swarmed our country like ants.

b1ack5mith

imported post

swillden wrote:
Bflamante wrote:
last year he took the mic and told the crowd that he will not prosecute them for being here illegally. That being illegal does not justify an arrest. He is a back room pro Amnesty candidate. There is my problem with him. The Utah Minuteman Project has nothing good to say about him on his immigration stance either. I just want a Republican that acts like one rather than these half breeds that keep running for office.
Umm, I don't believe Shurtleff could prosecute them for being here illegally if he wanted to. Immigration law is federal law, and the state Attorney General has no authority to prosecute in federal court. I think that was a bit of the politician in Shurtleff coming out -- it's always nice for a politician when he can score points by making a promise that he couldn't break if he wanted to.

Also, I agree that being here without permission does not justify an arrest. In fact, assuming the individual entered legally (around half do), then they haven't even broken any laws. That's why many people prefer to call them "undocumented" rather than "illegal" -- because "illegal" implies lawbreaking which may not have occurred.

I strongly agree with his position that it's not the responsibility of state agencies to enforce federal immigration laws. That's what the INS is for. Yes, it would make their job easier if the state and local governments would help out, but it would also require citizens to prove their own citizenship every time they interact with government. Many things that might make the government's job easier are a bad idea.

I guess the bottom line to me is that I don't want a "Republican that acts like one". What I want is a libertarian/constitutionalist who has a chance of getting elected, and while Shurtleff isn't perfect, he's pretty close.
I must disagree. Coming into this country without doing it "legally" makes it "illegal". Period. It's the law, that's how it is. Coming here, without any documentation, or without being a citizen, makes you a "lawbreaker". Also... where did you get the number of "about half are illegal"? You are one of the ones who automaticly assumes we mean "mexican" when we say "illegal". We mean ANYONE who comes here illegally. It has nothing to do with race. I am against illegals of every country.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

BOB BENNETT

Is much more in tune with me , after reading each bio .

The full spectrum of issues ofa Senator including the 2A gives Bennett my support by a country mile .

I like Orrin Hatch too cause I also carry a North American Arms mini 22LR revolver .

rpyne

imported post

R a Z o R wrote:
BOB BENNETT

The full spectrum of issues ofa Senator including the 2A gives Bennett my support by a country mile .

I like Orrin Hatch too cause I also carry a North American Arms mini 22LR revolver .
I don't know if I should laugh, cry or vomit from this one. Up until the past few months when there was a hint of some serious challenger, Bob Bennett couldn't be bothered with constituents. His position in the senate was purely to support the interests of the bankers and politicians. Orrin, on the other hand did some good his first term, was pretty much neutral his second term and since then has voted like what I would expect from Ted Kennedy.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

rpyne wrote:
R a Z o R wrote:
BOB BENNETT

I don't know if I should laugh, cry or vomit from this one. Up until the past few months when there was a hint of some serious challenger, Bob Bennett couldn't be bothered with constituents. His position in the senate was purely to support the interests of the bankers and politicians. Orrin, on the other hand did some good his first term, was pretty much neutral his second term and since then has voted like what I would expect from Ted Kennedy.

The Sonia Sotomayor SCOTUS votes will be my litmus test for both wings . My half cent is on Bob Bennett . Don't throw up on my prize money .

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

R a Z o R wrote:
My half cent is on Bob Bennett . Don't throw up on my prize money .
puke.gif
Keep your half cent, and your Bennett. Shurtleff may not be perfect, but who is?
dunno.gif