• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

There Is More Than One Approach

Veritas

imported post

If some off you are sensing a tang of annoyance in my words lately, then your spidey sense is tingling properly. I'll be honest that it's starting to annoy me every time I offer personal experience in a matter, or someone else comes along with a story about a negative LEO encounter, that someone else seems to put them down somehow. It doesn't just happen with me... I see it happen to others when they post a story and people jump their case. So truth be told, it would seem that those doing the jumping are the ones eliciting impressions of "unmatched prowess". I'm merely offering a differing perspective, and likewise different opinion, based on my own experiences. My objectives are simple and pure: To create and inspire positive change in the world. Being that this is an OC site, most of what I'll discuss will pertain only to the issue of OC... but it should be known that my passions, and experiences, stem beyond this issue alone. I'm sure it's the same for many of you. But I'm beginning to discover a common denominator... the issue of inspiring change around here seems to take a backseat to plugging MOC Inc. Not amongst everyone... just among a few. I'm not naming names.

With all the strong opinions that people are giving concerning LEO interactions, I'd like to assume that they have real experience in the matter. However, experiences can differ... for some, their experience is in marching with strength in numbers... for others, their experience is in sending emails to government officials... for others, their experience is putting themselves in REAL WORLD situations where they know their chances of being detained, arrested, and charged with a crime are very high. I am that last person. I'm not saying others are wrong... I'm just saying this is how I sometimes choose to do things.

When facing detention, arrest, or being charged... the "standard" approach may not work for everyone in every situation. No doubt, some of my approaches or ways of handling things are different than others here. But in that same token, I refuse to accept the stated opinions that accuse my way of handling things as the kind that will result in criminal convictions. It's obvious that my methods have NOT resulted in convictions... I still have a clean record, afterall. More so than this, my methods have created and inspired positive change. I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but the incident in Detroit bears isolating:

I had an encounter with an off duty LEO who told me that open carry was not allowed in Detroit. I tried to explain the law to the LEO, but when he flat out refused to listen or to verify it with his union attorney, I agreed (based on his recommendation) that PROVING it would be more effective. So we set up a time and date for the next day he worked... I was to show up outside of his building and simply walk down the street.
This resulted in a negative LEO encounter right in front of the DPD headquarters.

I was clear in explaining my purpose for going there, as well as my expectations. Nonetheless, several people jumped my case, calling me things like "dumbass", "idiot", and "moron", because I did not adhere to THEIR agenda or THEIR methods. Something that kind of surprised me is how quickly some of you were quick to call eachother and share your opinions about how "stupid" I was... and yet most of you were not very quick about getting down there to put your own butt on the line. Let's recount some simple facts:

1)
The people with such "strong opinions" weren't there when it all went down. A couple people showed up AFTER I was released... but not a single person that has expressed strong opinions opposing my methods was there. Period. If they want to do things their way, fine... nobody is stopping them. In fact, I'd love to see them do it... to walk alone, openly carrying, in a major city (like Detroit) and rely only on their personal knowledge to keep them out of potential trouble. That's a real world scenario... that's what I think we should be striving to improve. But the general concesus that I heard from their mouths was that they'd never risk doing it alone... they think the idea is "stupid" and that the best way to do it is to publicize the event with MOC, Inc material and blast it to all the media agencies. To which I beg the question, "How confident are you in your methods when you're afraid to put them to use on your own?" Some of you people live in complete fear... afraid to go places alone... afraid to talk to LEO's. That's not freedom, people... that's paranoia.

2)
I was released with no charges... not even so much as a citation. All of my property was returned to me and I wasn't even asked to leave the area. Immediately after my release, despite walking into other areas several blocks away, not a single officer tried to stop me for questioning. But hey, according to some, I did things all wrong. I am convinced that there is not a single person here who could've chartered a more positive outcome.

3) I chose to exercise a right in front of the DPD headquarters for my own reasons. The primary reason was to ensure that DPD officers are properly trained and would properly react in a REAL WORLD SITUATION. This did not require others getting involved... it didn't require an open carry march... it didn't require video cameras... it didn't require attorneys... it didn't require emailing the "powers that be" in advance of my arrival. My personal feeling is that people tried to turn a personal civil rights exercize into a full blown MOC, Inc event... as if we are not strong enough, on our own, to do things without MOC, Inc. It has caused me to rethink posting details about events that I personally engage in. It's my sincere belief that some of the methods employed by those with the strongest opinions may actually hinder the issue of OC. You catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar. Police are people too... you can follow protocol to bring up your concerns. The best answer is not always to organize a demonstration or threaten lawsuit. The lawyer card is dropped on the table around here more than anything else, it seems. When you talk about lawyers that much, you really only demonstrate your dependence on them to be free. And I'd really love to see someone put their money where their mouth is and shell out $3,500 to a lawyer to sue for something that you'll get nothing out of. My guess is that not a single person here has done that yet. Am I different? You bet. I don't threaten with lawyers... I follow through with actions. And despite the scare tactics some of you try to employ, I'm still a free man with no criminal convictions. Yes... it's true. Fancy that. And for the record, this incident in Detroit is NOT the first jam I've been in. It is my first OC issue, yes... but I truly do have a decent amount of experience in handling myself in LEO and court encounters. It's not that I'm some criminal, law breaker, or troublemaker... let's just say that I sometimes push the envelope on things in order to prove points or assert personal freedoms. Like some of you, I may also write an occassional letter or fire off an email every now and again... but I also do more than that when I feel the need.

4)
I didn't sit on the idea for 6 weeks talking about... I didn't seek a big PR event... I didn't look for protection in numbers... I simply set a task with a goal, armed with the knowledge in my head and the courage in my heart, and took a stroll in front of the DPD headquarters. Some of the people who had the most to say to me about it have had ample opportunity to put their money where their mouth is, but have not answered the call. In other words, they armchaired my experiences instead of experiencing it for themselves. Yes... this is a direct shot at those of you who are the most outspoken: Rather than TELL people how to handle a situation, why don't you put yourself in one and DEMONSTRATE it? And I'm not talking about getting together with 10 or 15 of your buddies and walking around... I heard Belle Isle mentioned as a host of an OC event sometime about a year ago as one of the things that may have "softened" Detroit up. I'll be the jerk and ask the tough question: What exactly did that event accomplish in Detroit? It would seem that with all this "two years of road paving before I walked in front of the HQ", a lot of road was left unfinished... because the DPD was still very much unaware of OC laws. Bringing me to my next point...

5)
Less than a week after the initial issue, the objective I set was complete. A city attorney authored a memo and sent it to all stations instructing them on the proper OC laws. It overwrote the previous department policy. Accomplishing this didn't require a lawyer... it didn't require an argument with any administrative body... it didn't require mobilization of open carriers downtown. It only required me putting myself in a position to PROVE the law by PERSONALLY DEMONSTRATING it. Then I just walked in to the Office of the Chief Investigator to follow up. Which, by the way, I also did by myself. I even managed to exit the situation on super good terms with the DPD... even being encouraged to apply to their department because the man in charge seemed to think my methodologies were something the DPD could use. I respectfully declined... I believe I belong on this side of the fence at this point in my life.

On the subject of talking with LEO's, some of you are quick to lambaste people who do that. I may choose to talk with an LEO... I may not. I gauge the situation on a case by case basis... and it's largely based on the officer's opening sequence. Some of you here would sooner hang me for admitting cooperation with an LEO than to admit that not all officers are after your freedom. Even with "nice" officers, I still assert my rights... but I may not go out of my way to be obstinate. I reserve my obstinance for officers who cross the line with me... not for the ones who are legitimately seeking to uphold proper law. Example: When I made my complaint at the DPD OCI last week, the Seargent asked for my ID and CPL when he saw that I was carrying. I was polite and told him "I'll volunteer this information to you because I don't see how it can be used against me here." He smiled and said thank you... then returned them to me promptly. I could've been obstinate and said, "No." But why? As I saw it, THEY were the ones facing trouble, not me. Some of you, however, would jump all over this and say things like "Blah blah blah I'd NEVER show my ID blah blah blah you shouldn't have done that blah blah blah". In reality, I see many examples where people SAY one thing, but DO another. Example: The Boston Market Incident that some folks here were involved in... the FOIA document indicates that 4 out of 5 you volunteered your ID's with no problem. Nearly every negative LEO story that I've seen posted admits that the detainee volunteered their ID and/or consented to a search. I'll admit that there are instances in which I'll volunteer things, and then there are those that I don't. If I say that I will or won't respond a certain way in a certain situation, I stand firm on that when the situation presents itself. You can take that to the bank.

It's an impression I'm beginning to develop about people here that there is only way to go about doing things. I'm merely offering differing perspectives. And I'm basing it on experience... I'm not armchairing. My personal experience is that, in a real encounter, you've got to think on your feet. Zipping lips can make your problems worse when you're dealing with a poorly informed LEO. You can bet that if I didn't verbally assert my rights in Detroit, that I would've probably found myself being booked at the local jail. I said just enough, but not too much, to plant the seed of doubt in the officers mind that maybe, just MAYBE, he should do a little more due dilligence before he took me in. Unfortunately, in his case it would seem that it pissed him off..l but at least I didn't end up with black ink all over my hands and having to go before the prosecuter to have the case dropped. Perhaps the one MOC'er who witnessed my recent situation would care to chime in and attest to my demeanor and manner of speech during my interaction with the DPD? He was on a lunch break from work (so he was unarmed), but he did happen to witness the entire event from start to finish. If I'm at all embellishing or otherwise fibbing about it, let him come forth and call me out on it. And I'd be interested in hearing his perspective about what would've happened had I just kept my mouth shut and not said a word. MY belief is that I would've been hauled off to jail... being left to plead my case before the prosecutor.

My desire is not to create media frenzies and lawsuits... my desire is to inspire and create positive change. Sometimes standing firm in front of an LEO, rather than softly zipping my lips or sending them information via email, encourages them to think a little more. That's my goal. That's why I do what I do. And if it aint for you, then I'd kindly request you get off my butt about it. And while I'm requesting things, before anyone jumps someone elses butt for their response in an LEO interaction, how about you post some stories of your own interactions so that we can all see how much real world experience you have. Just a suggestion.

jeremy05

imported post

Wow, great story. Its good to hear someone actually acting on their beliefs! Any chance you got a copy of the DPD memo? That would be a good read!

Haman J.T.

imported post

Veritas wrote:
If some off you are sensing a tang of annoyance in my words lately, then your spidey sense is tingling properly. I'll be honest that it's starting to annoy me every time I offer personal experience in a matter, or someone else comes along with a story about a negative LEO encounter, that someone else seems to put them down somehow. It doesn't just happen with me... I see it happen to others when they post a story and people jump their case. So truth be told, it would seem that those doing the jumping are the ones eliciting impressions of "unmatched prowess". I'm merely offering a differing perspective, and likewise different opinion, based on my own experiences. My objectives are simple and pure: To create and inspire positive change in the world. Being that this is an OC site, most of what I'll discuss will pertain only to the issue of OC... but it should be known that my passions, and experiences, stem beyond this issue alone. I'm sure it's the same for many of you. But I'm beginning to discover a common denominator... the issue of inspiring change around here seems to take a backseat to plugging MOC Inc. Not amongst everyone... just among a few. I'm not naming names.

With all the strong opinions that people are giving concerning LEO interactions, I'd like to assume that they have real experience in the matter. However, experiences can differ... for some, their experience is in marching with strength in numbers... for others, their experience is in sending emails to government officials... for others, their experience is putting themselves in REAL WORLD situations where they know their chances of being detained, arrested, and charged with a crime are very high. I am that last person. I'm not saying others are wrong... I'm just saying this is how I sometimes choose to do things.

When facing detention, arrest, or being charged... the "standard" approach may not work for everyone in every situation. No doubt, some of my approaches or ways of handling things are different than others here. But in that same token, I refuse to accept the stated opinions that accuse my way of handling things as the kind that will result in criminal convictions. It's obvious that my methods have NOT resulted in convictions... I still have a clean record, afterall. More so than this, my methods have created and inspired positive change. I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but the incident in Detroit bears isolating:

I had an encounter with an off duty LEO who told me that open carry was not allowed in Detroit. I tried to explain the law to the LEO, but when he flat out refused to listen or to verify it with his union attorney, I agreed (based on his recommendation) that PROVING it would be more effective. So we set up a time and date for the next day he worked... I was to show up outside of his building and simply walk down the street.
This resulted in a negative LEO encounter right in front of the DPD headquarters.

I was clear in explaining my purpose for going there, as well as my expectations. Nonetheless, several people jumped my case, calling me things like "dumbass", "idiot", and "moron", because I did not adhere to THEIR agenda or THEIR methods. Something that kind of surprised me is how quickly some of you were quick to call eachother and share your opinions about how "stupid" I was... and yet most of you were not very quick about getting down there to put your own butt on the line. Let's recount some simple facts:

1)
The people with such "strong opinions" weren't there when it all went down. A couple people showed up AFTER I was released... but not a single person that has expressed strong opinions opposing my methods was there. Period. If they want to do things their way, fine... nobody is stopping them. In fact, I'd love to see them do it... to walk alone, openly carrying, in a major city (like Detroit) and rely only on their personal knowledge to keep them out of potential trouble. That's a real world scenario... that's what I think we should be striving to improve. But the general concesus that I heard from their mouths was that they'd never risk doing it alone... they think the idea is "stupid" and that the best way to do it is to publicize the event with MOC, Inc material and blast it to all the media agencies. To which I beg the question, "How confident are you in your methods when you're afraid to put them to use on your own?" Some of you people live in complete fear... afraid to go places alone... afraid to talk to LEO's. That's not freedom, people... that's paranoia.

2)
I was released with no charges... not even so much as a citation. All of my property was returned to me and I wasn't even asked to leave the area. Immediately after my release, despite walking into other areas several blocks away, not a single officer tried to stop me for questioning. But hey, according to some, I did things all wrong. I am convinced that there is not a single person here who could've chartered a more positive outcome.

3) I chose to exercise a right in front of the DPD headquarters for my own reasons. The primary reason was to ensure that DPD officers are properly trained and would properly react in a REAL WORLD SITUATION. This did not require others getting involved... it didn't require an open carry march... it didn't require video cameras... it didn't require attorneys... it didn't require emailing the "powers that be" in advance of my arrival. My personal feeling is that people tried to turn a personal civil rights exercize into a full blown MOC, Inc event... as if we are not strong enough, on our own, to do things without MOC, Inc. It has caused me to rethink posting details about events that I personally engage in. It's my sincere belief that some of the methods employed by those with the strongest opinions may actually hinder the issue of OC. You catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar. Police are people too... you can follow protocol to bring up your concerns. The best answer is not always to organize a demonstration or threaten lawsuit. The lawyer card is dropped on the table around here more than anything else, it seems. When you talk about lawyers that much, you really only demonstrate your dependence on them to be free. And I'd really love to see someone put their money where their mouth is and shell out $3,500 to a lawyer to sue for something that you'll get nothing out of. My guess is that not a single person here has done that yet. Am I different? You bet. I don't threaten with lawyers... I follow through with actions. And despite the scare tactics some of you try to employ, I'm still a free man with no criminal convictions. Yes... it's true. Fancy that. And for the record, this incident in Detroit is NOT the first jam I've been in. It is my first OC issue, yes... but I truly do have a decent amount of experience in handling myself in LEO and court encounters. It's not that I'm some criminal, law breaker, or troublemaker... let's just say that I sometimes push the envelope on things in order to prove points or assert personal freedoms. Like some of you, I may also write an occassional letter or fire off an email every now and again... but I also do more than that when I feel the need.

4)
I didn't sit on the idea for 6 weeks talking about... I didn't seek a big PR event... I didn't look for protection in numbers... I simply set a task with a goal, armed with the knowledge in my head and the courage in my heart, and took a stroll in front of the DPD headquarters. Some of the people who had the most to say to me about it have had ample opportunity to put their money where their mouth is, but have not answered the call. In other words, they armchaired my experiences instead of experiencing it for themselves. Yes... this is a direct shot at those of you who are the most outspoken: Rather than TELL people how to handle a situation, why don't you put yourself in one and DEMONSTRATE it? And I'm not talking about getting together with 10 or 15 of your buddies and walking around... I heard Belle Isle mentioned as a host of an OC event sometime about a year ago as one of the things that may have "softened" Detroit up. I'll be the jerk and ask the tough question: What exactly did that event accomplish in Detroit? It would seem that with all this "two years of road paving before I walked in front of the HQ", a lot of road was left unfinished... because the DPD was still very much unaware of OC laws. Bringing me to my next point...

5)
Less than a week after the initial issue, the objective I set was complete. A city attorney authored a memo and sent it to all stations instructing them on the proper OC laws. It overwrote the previous department policy. Accomplishing this didn't require a lawyer... it didn't require an argument with any administrative body... it didn't require mobilization of open carriers downtown. It only required me putting myself in a position to PROVE the law by PERSONALLY DEMONSTRATING it. Then I just walked in to the Office of the Chief Investigator to follow up. Which, by the way, I also did by myself. I even managed to exit the situation on super good terms with the DPD... even being encouraged to apply to their department because the man in charge seemed to think my methodologies were something the DPD could use. I respectfully declined... I believe I belong on this side of the fence at this point in my life.

On the subject of talking with LEO's, some of you are quick to lambaste people who do that. I may choose to talk with an LEO... I may not. I gauge the situation on a case by case basis... and it's largely based on the officer's opening sequence. Some of you here would sooner hang me for admitting cooperation with an LEO than to admit that not all officers are after your freedom. Even with "nice" officers, I still assert my rights... but I may not go out of my way to be obstinate. I reserve my obstinance for officers who cross the line with me... not for the ones who are legitimately seeking to uphold proper law. Example: When I made my complaint at the DPD OCI last week, the Seargent asked for my ID and CPL when he saw that I was carrying. I was polite and told him "I'll volunteer this information to you because I don't see how it can be used against me here." He smiled and said thank you... then returned them to me promptly. I could've been obstinate and said, "No." But why? As I saw it, THEY were the ones facing trouble, not me. Some of you, however, would jump all over this and say things like "Blah blah blah I'd NEVER show my ID blah blah blah you shouldn't have done that blah blah blah". In reality, I see many examples where people SAY one thing, but DO another. Example: The Boston Market Incident that some folks here were involved in... the FOIA document indicates that 4 out of 5 you volunteered your ID's with no problem. Nearly every negative LEO story that I've seen posted admits that the detainee volunteered their ID and/or consented to a search. I'll admit that there are instances in which I'll volunteer things, and then there are those that I don't. If I say that I will or won't respond a certain way in a certain situation, I stand firm on that when the situation presents itself. You can take that to the bank.

It's an impression I'm beginning to develop about people here that there is only way to go about doing things. I'm merely offering differing perspectives. And I'm basing it on experience... I'm not armchairing. My personal experience is that, in a real encounter, you've got to think on your feet. Zipping lips can make your problems worse when you're dealing with a poorly informed LEO. You can bet that if I didn't verbally assert my rights in Detroit, that I would've probably found myself being booked at the local jail. I said just enough, but not too much, to plant the seed of doubt in the officers mind that maybe, just MAYBE, he should do a little more due dilligence before he took me in. Unfortunately, in his case it would seem that it pissed him off..l but at least I didn't end up with black ink all over my hands and having to go before the prosecuter to have the case dropped. Perhaps the one MOC'er who witnessed my recent situation would care to chime in and attest to my demeanor and manner of speech during my interaction with the DPD? He was on a lunch break from work (so he was unarmed), but he did happen to witness the entire event from start to finish. If I'm at all embellishing or otherwise fibbing about it, let him come forth and call me out on it. And I'd be interested in hearing his perspective about what would've happened had I just kept my mouth shut and not said a word. MY belief is that I would've been hauled off to jail... being left to plead my case before the prosecutor.

My desire is not to create media frenzies and lawsuits... my desire is to inspire and create positive change. Sometimes standing firm in front of an LEO, rather than softly zipping my lips or sending them information via email, encourages them to think a little more. That's my goal. That's why I do what I do. And if it aint for you, then I'd kindly request you get off my butt about it. And while I'm requesting things, before anyone jumps someone elses butt for their response in an LEO interaction, how about you post some stories of your own interactions so that we can all see how much real world experience you have. Just a suggestion.

Haven't you read any of the many interactions that have been printed before on this site?

Why don't you print the names,dates of those who called you names and ask for an apology? I'm sure they might ablige you.

Did your encounter educate any MI citizens by way of front page news or tv news cast as has the MI OC group,who's main purpose is to educate all of the citizens in this state?

Are you the only one who is capable of the educating of leo's?

What has your non-arrest achieved compared to those who have been arrested and are in the process of suing the agencies that denied their civil rights in federal court?

Did your incident educate all police agencies in the state?

What's your point? Are you in this for yourself?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Veritas wrote:
If some off you are sensing a tang of annoyance in my words lately, then your spidey sense is tingling properly...
I can't bring myself to respond to all of your points - I disagree with some (in the sense that "Hey, this is the internet!") and agree with others.

One thought I will post is this - did you ever think that you might be educating more than the police with your posts here, and vice versa?

I salute you for your efforts, and willingness to "put it on the line".

Veritas

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
Wow, great story. Its good to hear someone actually acting on their beliefs! Any chance you got a copy of the DPD memo? That would be a good read!
Unfortunately, no. It was shown to me in confidence and I was not permitted to take it with me. Having seen it with my own two eyes, and having seen various emails tossed around the DPD seeking clarification, was enough for me to believe that the issue has been taken seriously.

Veritas

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:

Haven't you read any of the many interactions that have been printed before on this site? I've read many, yes. Very few of them result in arrest or detainment.

Why don't you print the names,dates of those who called you names and ask for an apology? I'm sure they might ablige you. Because they know who they are and publicly calling them out is not necessary.

Did your encounter educate any MI citizens by way of front page news or tv news cast as has the MI OC group,who's main purpose is to educate all of the citizens in this state? Educating citizens is fine... but when a citizen is afraid to use that education out of fear of harassment or legal repercussions, it becomes counterproductive. I think a proper strategy is to first ensure that the LEO's are aware, and accepting of the law... and then to compel citizens to exercise their rights if they so choose. Let me put this another way: I'll suggest that nearly every member of this site probably knows that OC is legal... right? Even so, why hadn't any of them, in all the years they've been aware, taken it upon themselves to take a casual stroll down Beaubien alone? My contention is that even though they KNEW it was legal, they still feared the repurcussions. Dispelling fear is more important than knowledge.

Are you the only one who is capable of the educating of leo's? I never said I was.

What has your non-arrest achieved compared to those who have been arrested and are in the process of suing the agencies that denied their civil rights in federal court? First of all, whether or not I was arrested is a point of debate... but a moot point. Secondly, the achievement was that the entire Detroit Police Department was made aware of the proper law. Higher ranking DPD officers have begun to engage eachother with questions seeking clarification... some of them had no idea OC was legal until their policy was re-written and blasted out to every station.

Did your incident educate all police agencies in the state? Doubtful... but it certainly educated one of the largest. Is this somehow a bad thing? Can you name any single OC event that educated every police department in the State?

What's your point? Are you in this for yourself? Most certainly not. If I were, then perhaps I would have let someone else take that walk Downtown... and then try to capitalize on it later by using their experiences to contact the media and try to turn it into a PR stunt. I haven't yet commented on this, but I wasn't too happy with people sharing information about me with the media in attempt to gain recognition for MOC. Fortunately, the media hasn't run with anything... presumably because I have not commented to them personally. I did what I did for the exact reasons I stated... I did not do it for publicity or attention.

Veritas

imported post

BB62 wrote:
I can't bring myself to respond to all of your points - I disagree with some (in the sense that "Hey, this is the internet!") and agree with others. Disagree away... you won't hear any complaints from me. :p

One thought I will post is this - did you ever think that you might be educating more than the police with your posts here, and vice versa? I did think this, yes. That's why I posted my experiences here afterwards. The point of posting about it was to let other people know my experiences, as well as how they were handled. I guess it's important to separate "real world action" and "online posting". The real world action is something I would've done regardless... the online posting was just a way for me to share the experience with folks here who might've been interested; given the subject matter of the site. In other words, I didn't go to Detroit with the purpose of coming here to talk about it. The two are mutually exclusive.

I salute you for your efforts, and willingness to "put it on the line". Thanks :p

Haman J.T.

imported post

Veritas wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:

Haven't you read any of the many interactions that have been printed before on this site? I've read many, yes. Very few of them result in arrest or detainment.

Why don't you print the names,dates of those who called you names and ask for an apology? I'm sure they might ablige you. Because they know who they are and publicly calling them out is not necessary.

Did your encounter educate any MI citizens by way of front page news or tv news cast as has the MI OC group,who's main purpose is to educate all of the citizens in this state? Educating citizens is fine... but when a citizen is afraid to use that education out of fear of harassment or legal repercussions, it becomes counterproductive. I think a proper strategy is to first ensure that the LEO's are aware, and accepting of the law... and then to compel citizens to exercise their rights if they so choose. Let me put this another way: I'll suggest that nearly every member of this site probably knows that OC is legal... right? Even so, why hadn't any of them, in all the years they've been aware, taken it upon themselves to take a casual stroll down Beaubien alone? My contention is that even though they KNEW it was legal, they still feared the repurcussions. Dispelling fear is more important than knowledge.
Why should LEO's be accepting of the laws?
Are you the only one who is capable of the educating of leo's? I never said I was. Reread your statement.

What has your non-arrest achieved compared to those who have been arrested and are in the process of suing the agencies that denied their civil rights in federal court? First of all, whether or not I was arrested is a point of debate... but a moot point. Secondly, the achievement was that the entire Detroit Police Department was made aware of the proper law. Higher ranking DPD officers have begun to engage eachother with questions seeking clarification... some of them had no idea OC was legal until their policy was re-written and blasted out to every station. And you know this how?

Did your incident educate all police agencies in the state? Doubtful... but it certainly educated one of the largest. Is this somehow a bad thing? Can you name any single OC event that educated every police department in the State? Are you sure they didn't see channel 4 news 6pm 8/16/08?

What's your point? Are you in this for yourself? Most certainly not. If I were, then perhaps I would have let someone else take that walk Downtown... and then try to capitalize on it later by using their experiences to contact the media and try to turn it into a PR stunt. I haven't yet commented on this, but I wasn't too happy with people sharing information about me with the media in attempt to gain recognition for MOC. Fortunately, the media hasn't run with anything... presumably because I have not commented to them personally. I did what I did for the exact reasons I stated... I did not do it for publicity or attention.So you did it for yourself!

Veritas

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Because publicity for MOC won't help educate other agencies and citizens?
Education means nothing when people are afraid to apply what they've learned. Publicity may educate, sure. But some of the publicity that MOC seeks to gain are images, video, and recordings of citizens being arrested and harrassed. How is that going to ease people's fears?

I say again, there probably isn't a single member on this site who doesn't know that OC is legal in Detroit. And yet when faced with the situation of walking down the street, they said that going alone was "stupid" because of all the "bad things" that could happen. That's fear at it's finest. "I know it's legal, but I'm afraid to do it because I think I'll still end up in trouble."

All I'm saying is toss fear aside... be a man/woman and do what you think in your heart is right. Crack some eggs... make an omellette... THEN feed the world your knowledge once they see that it's not scary afterall.

Haman J.T.

imported post

Veritas wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Because publicity for MOC won't help educate other agencies and citizens?
Education means nothing when people are afraid to apply what they've learned. Publicity may educate, sure. But some of the publicity that MOC seeks to gain are images, video, and recordings of citizens being arrested and harrassed. How is that going to ease people's fears?

I say again, there probably isn't a single member on this site who doesn't know that OC is legal in Detroit. And yet when faced with the situation of walking down the street, they said that going alone was "stupid" because of all the "bad things" that could happen. That's fear at it's finest. "I know it's legal, but I'm afraid to do it because I think I'll still end up in trouble."

All I'm saying is toss fear aside... be a man/woman and do what you think in your heart is right. Crack some eggs... make an omellette... THEN feed the world your knowledge once they see that it's not scary afterall.
So you think the educating of thousands that MOC does on a regular basis would not encourage those who are afraid to OC eventualy? I OC in detroit and the surrounding suburbs without any problems and there are many more here who do the same. We in this area know how corrupt LEO's can be,whether they know the law or not. I have been falsely arrested,and after spending a couple grand, had the charges dropped and am still trying to find a lawyer to sue for my civil rights. I believe those who you say fear may not have the money to go through what I have, let alone spend any time in jail. Would you be willing to spend 20 days in jail,pay bond,lawyer fee's and pay $500 for forty days on a tether? Some folks would naturaly fear those circumstances let alone being handcuffed and put in a squad car.Don't you think?

Veritas

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
So you think the educating of thousands that MOC does on a regular basis would not encourage those who are afraid to OC eventualy? Not sure I'm understanding the question, so I'll refrain from answering it.

I OC in detroit and the surrounding suburbs without any problems and there are many more here who do the same. As do I. It's a very rare occassion that I do not have my pistol with me... and especially in warmer weather, I usually OC. My first, and only (so far), OC issue was in Detroit.

We in this area know how corrupt LEO's can be,whether they know the law or not. Some, not all. I personally believe the majority of officers are on the straight and narrow, but that a minority group of them who violate civil liberties tend to be the ones we focus most of our attention.

I have been falsely arrested,and after spending a couple grand, had the charges dropped and am still trying to find a lawyer to sue for my civil rights. I believe those who you say fear may not have the money to go through what I have, let alone spend any time in jail. I've been arrested a few times. In at least one instance, I faced a felony charge. Thankfully, to date, I've not had to hire an attorney to defend myself in court yet... but by arguing my own case, I've been able to have miscellaneous charges and citations dropped. I think it's a very popular misconception that you need to spend thousands to defend oneself in many court cases. I've never had to, and I personally know at least two others who are like me in this regard.

Would you be willing to spend 20 days in jail,pay bond,lawyer fee's and pay $500 for forty days on a tether? Some folks would naturaly fear those circumstances let alone being handcuffed and put in a squad car.Don't you think? Sure... that sounds lke something most rational people would try to avoid. You don't have to share it with me, but I'm really curious about what it is that you DIDN'T do that earned you 20 days in jail and 40 days on a tether.

Haman J.T.

imported post

Veritas wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:
So you think the educating of thousands that MOC does on a regular basis would not encourage those who are afraid to OC eventualy? Not sure I'm understanding the question, so I'll refrain from answering it.

I OC in detroit and the surrounding suburbs without any problems and there are many more here who do the same. As do I. It's a very rare occassion that I do not have my pistol with me... and especially in warmer weather, I usually OC. My first, and only (so far), OC issue was in Detroit.

We in this area know how corrupt LEO's can be,whether they know the law or not. Some, not all. I personally believe the majority of officers are on the straight and narrow, but that a minority group of them who violate civil liberties tend to be the ones we focus most of our attention.

I have been falsely arrested,and after spending a couple grand, had the charges dropped and am still trying to find a lawyer to sue for my civil rights. I believe those who you say fear may not have the money to go through what I have, let alone spend any time in jail. I've been arrested a few times. In at least one instance, I faced a felony charge. Thankfully, to date, I've not had to hire an attorney to defend myself in court yet... but by arguing my own case, I've been able to have miscellaneous charges and citations dropped. I think it's a very popular misconception that you need to spend thousands to defend oneself in many court cases. I've never had to, and I personally know at least two others who are like me in this regard.

Would you be willing to spend 20 days in jail,pay bond,lawyer fee's and pay $500 for forty days on a tether? Some folks would naturaly fear those circumstances let alone being handcuffed and put in a squad car.Don't you think? Sure... that sounds lke something most rational people would try to avoid. You don't have to share it with me, but I'm really curious about what it is that you DIDN'T do that earned you 20 days in jail and 40 days on a tether.
As long as you explain the felony charges and miscellaneous misdemeanors,sure!

Rob Washeleski

imported post

It is true there are many ways to deal with educating people on OC. It especially bothers me when someone insinuates that talking to the police while stopped for OC indicates that one is brain-dead, then adds that they personally do not OC. There is a time for lawyers in our litigous society, but they should be a last resort in my opinion.

I have also seen some "do as I say not as I do" situations with OCers. More than once I have seen someone stopped that said they would never provide ID to the police simply cower and hand it over without protest. I am in your boat, the one time I was stopped the officer simply said "May I please see your CCW". I told him I was not required to provide my CPL, but since he asked nicely I would oblige. What if I hadn't? I think that would have been a form of escalation. When we talk about self defense situations we always harp on de-escalation and conflict resolution, but when it comes to a polite request from a cop we need to be a dick to prove a point?

While I am proud to be a grass-roots OCer in MI, I am still waiting to see how MOC, Inc. fits in the picture.

-Rob

Haman J.T.

imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
It is true there are many ways to deal with educating people on OC. It especially bothers me when someone insinuates that talking to the police while stopped for OC indicates that one is brain-dead, then adds that they personally do not OC. There is a time for lawyers in our litigous society, but they should be a last resort in my opinion.

I have also seen some "do as I say not as I do" situations with OCers. More than once I have seen someone stopped that said they would never provide ID to the police simply cower and hand it over without protest. I am in your boat, the one time I was stopped the officer simply said "May I please see your CCW". I told him I was not required to provide my CPL, but since he asked nicely I would oblige. What if I hadn't? I think that would have been a form of escalation. When we talk about self defense situations we always harp on de-escalation and conflict resolution, but when it comes to a polite request from a cop we need to be a dick to prove a point?

While I am proud to be a grass-roots OCer in MI, I am still waiting to see how MOC, Inc. fits in the picture.

-Rob
Rob, you are a supporting member. MOC Inc. is grass roots,grass roots with a name now. We're all members of the whole OC educational grass roots movement.

Veritas

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
To put things in perspective, I can recount (off the top of my head) 9 negative LEO encounters/court interactions in the past 18 months. They range in severity from my issue in Detroit a few weeks ago to smaller things like improper traffic stops and citations. I'm not always cited, though... sometimes a simple discussion with the LEO results in no further action. And even though I do sometimes walk away from an LEO ecounter holding a ticket in my hand, I haven't been found responsible for paying one since 2005. Before that, I cannot remember the last one.

Trying to recount all of the issues I've run into over the last 10 years... I would probably lose track of a few. Despite any accusations, I have been found innocent of them without the use of any attorney's. I think my highest capital expense was in overriding a local PD's bogus accusation of something that affected my ability to acquire a permit for something. It cost me about $130 or $180 (I don't recall). My highest bond amount for an actual arrest was $1,000... which was the result of a charge against me that was later dropped.

As I've aged though, I've learned better how to interact with LEO's to avert the potential escalation of issues. This means that I pick and choose battles, as well as my words, carefully. All this being said, I've already disclosed enough on miscellaneous threads and I don't much care to rehash details surrounding all of my negative LEO and court encounters.

I was just curious how an innocent person, such as yourself, managed to spend thousands of dollars, 20 days in jail, 40 days on a tether, and is having a hard time finding an attorney who see's enough merit in his case to seek damages. I couldn't imagine letting that happen to me if I were innocent.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Veritas, I'm not sure what or whom to quote, with all the red text flying around here.

My head hurts!!

A point,made to whom I'm not sure...One reason that some people are not willing to"put it on the line" (and I bear them no ill-will) is that recompense for arrests, for instance, absent extenuating circumstances, is hard or impossible to come by.

Many people don't have the pocketbook to sustain the costs associated with an "inducing panic", "disorderly conduct" or similar charge, only to have the charges dropped or found not guilty - and then have no real recourse.

Maybe we are talking about two different things, but a fellow who lives fairly close to me was a victim of just such a charge. To the best of my knowledge, his ability to recovereven attorney fees (at minimum) is limited. Do you have a suggestion?

If instead you are talking about a dearth of observers, then I possibly see where you are coming from, but if you're talking about one's unwillingness to "take it for the team" then that's a different matter entirely.

Haman J.T.

imported post

Veritas wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:
To put things in perspective, I can recount (off the top of my head) 9 negative LEO encounters/court interactions in the past 18 months. They range in severity from my issue in Detroit a few weeks ago to smaller things like improper traffic stops and citations. I'm not always cited, though... sometimes a simple discussion with the LEO results in no further action. And even though I do sometimes walk away from an LEO ecounter holding a ticket in my hand, I haven't been found responsible for paying one since 2005. Before that, I cannot remember the last one.

Trying to recount all of the issues I've run into over the last 10 years... I would probably lose track of a few. Despite any accusations, I have been found innocent of them without the use of any attorney's. I think my highest capital expense was in overriding a local PD's bogus accusation of something that affected my ability to acquire a permit for something. It cost me about $130 or $180 (I don't recall). My highest bond amount for an actual arrest was $1,000... which was the result of a charge against me that was later dropped.

As I've aged though, I've learned better how to interact with LEO's to avert the potential escalation of issues. This means that I pick and choose battles, as well as my words, carefully. All this being said, I've already disclosed enough on miscellaneous threads and I don't much care to rehash details surrounding all of my negative LEO and court encounters.

I was just curious how an innocent person, such as yourself, managed to spend thousands of dollars, 20 days in jail, 40 days on a tether, and is having a hard time finding an attorney who see's enough merit in his case to seek damages. I couldn't imagine letting that happen to me if I were innocent.
Ok, you explain where my guilt was and why Feigers office and one civil rights lawyer wouldn't take the case. 9/11/06 I was parked legaly on a residential street. While parked I consumed 1.5 pints of vodka for pain relief. No keys in ignition. Passed out. Two hours later a woman called LEO's. LEO's unlocked car, put me in ambulance to the hospital. Woke up 8am in emergency room with open intoxicant ticket. 9/19/06 officers come to house,arrest me for drunk driving. Judge gives me $7500 cash bond. 20 days later Judge lowers bond to $2500. Bondsman takes $150 to get me out only if I can wear $350 a month tether. 20 days later Judge adjourns until prosecutor can talk to the woman who called police in first place. Police write in their report the car was running, woman says the car was not running when she called or when they arrived. 20 days later all charges dropped except the open intoxicant( 2 empty bottles) ticket. Feigers office said the fact I accepted the open intoxicant ticket would make it hard to convince a jury. It didn't matter the main witness would testify the police report was an obvious lie to the Judge who provided the warrant because " police may have made a mistake in not knowing the difference between a running car or a car that is not running" . Remember that next time you see a Fieger commercial. After being guilty of offenses and being convicted,sentenced to jail in 6 counties for a total of up to 11 months altogether, I haven't run into crooked cops until I moved to this area. Im still looking and may have to go to the ACLU. But that would be my last resort. Many of my friends are LEO's, but I can emagine those who have never had to deal with the threat of arrest or jail having fear of exercizing their rights with egomaniacal Leo's like the ones you said you ran into. It 's easy to put people down if you do not know them or walk in their shoe's. Now what was your felony arrest? You can't remember?