• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters: Your Favorite Belt Loop Holsters for Open Carry

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

Can you share with us your favorite carry holster you use for open carry, and also specify if it is a duty holster (even if you are not a cop)or a concealment type. I myself use a leather "De-Santis" belt loop holster with a snap scabbard for my Colt Govt M1911-A1 .45

I have noticed with duty holsters that they appear to position your handgun about 1 to 2 inches away from your side compared to my holster (pictured) which makes my gun fairly snug against me, can anyone answer why duty holsters are set that way?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

My primary carry piece is a Glock 23 and I have two OWB holsters I like to use for OC. One is a DeSantis Mini Slide and the other is a Fobus Evolution. I have taken to using the Fobus more for OC'ing and the DeSantis more for CC'ing due to the manner in which they position the gun.

madrevar

imported post

I like to use my Blackhawk Serpa sportster for my M9 with paddle or belt attachment for shallow concealment or casual OC. For dedicated, planned ocassions such as going downtown or to the local zoo, I like my Blackhawk Level 3 Duty rig. I have even experimented with the. Blackhawk thigh rig and Level 3 holster for serious outdoors work.

GWbiker

imported post

For OC in medium frame semi auto, I use the Uncle Mike Sidekick paddle holsters, with retention strap. Inexpensive and comfortable.

For 1911 and P220, I use Aker Bodyguard black leather holsters with retention, OC of course. I prefer black holster on black belt, black handgun, black grips -- seems to go unnoticed by the liberal minded sheeple.

For the rare occasions in Arizona when I must CC in pocket, Uncle Mike Sidekick pocket holster.

Michigander

imported post

My 2 favorites are my Uncle Mike's mid ride Sidekick for instances where I'm not worried about retention, and my Safariland 6280 for when I do want serious retention. I mostly just use the Sidekick for jogging, because it is extremely stable on my belt.

About the duty holsters, I think they stick out more so that they are easier to grab at, and also, in some cases as with my Safariland, easier to put a complex retention system on.

david.ross

imported post

Most of my gear and clothes are duty quality and/or mil-spec for performance, security, longevity. I accept nothing but the best.

Safariland 6280 Duty holster
nylon garrison belt - Velcro, no buckle
Bianchi duty belt with buckles + keepers

Anyone who believes a person wearing duty/mil-spec gear is stupid reflects on their own ignorance.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Blackhawk CQC.

I also use a 45mm wilderness tactical instructor belt with the CSM insert. The extra stiffness really helps with any holster, even an iwb.

Spread the Kool-Aid.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I use the JBP "sleeping dog" model, convertible IWB/OWB, for carry with my Bersa Thunder .380, my Bersa Thunder9, my Bersa .40, my Bersa .45, my Firestar 9mm, etc. I have one for every gun I own (except the 1911, which I carry in a Serpa for the extra retention). Not fond of the Serpa, because of the fact it holds the gun further away from my body and thus scrapes my arm. (Something to do with women being shaped differently than men.)

Jshu

imported post

I carry my Kimber Tactical in a Blackhawk CQC Serpa when OC. I have a custom holster from Backwoods Leather, IWB with a metal clip, also works as a pocket holster.