• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friend or Foe - Tool for finding pro-2A businesses

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For a long time I wanted to know if a restaurant or business was pro or anti gun. I'd like to spend my money at locations that support the RKBA. There was no easy way to find out if a place was pro or anti gun, so I wrote a web application to help track that info.

This has been posted and in use for a while now in the VA forum, and we have ~390 businesses listed so far across the nation.

There's no log in required. Just follow the instructions on the main page and add business page to add businesses that are pro or anti gun.

The tool will remember the location and radius to search (saved in a cookie on your machine, not the server) and will return to the saved area both when you revisit the site and after you add a business.

More features are coming soon, as well as possibly a WM or iPhone app.

Let me know if you have any issues or questions, and feedback is always welcome.

http://friendorfoe.us/

*Updated URL and # of businesses

NightOwl

imported post

That is downright awesome. If enough people start adding to it, could be really useful. Thanks!

Added to my favorites, and one business added so far. I'll add more later.

jerg_064

imported post

So from the looks of it you can use this nationwide right? It actually looks as if worldwide(not that the rest of the world matters).

So if this becomes really popular and get so many ratings will it go over your bit storagelimit?

Also the mobile option would be SWEET!! Anytime your traveling you could always rest assured you can eat at a gun friendly diner.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks, NightOwl!

jerg_064 wrote:
So from the looks of it you can use this nationwide right? It actually looks as if worldwide(not that the rest of the world matters).

So if this becomes really popular and get so many ratings will it go over your bit storagelimit?

Also the mobile option would be SWEET!! Anytime your traveling you could always rest assured you can eat at a gun friendly diner.

Yes, you can rate any business listing in the google database. If you run across one that isn't in the google database, I can add it manually. Eventually, you'll be able to add it manually too, but I want to try and use the google database as much as possible to avoid duplicates.

As far as space goes, that's not a concern at this time. I have plenty of room for expansion.

I'm going to create a mobile version of the site first and see how much it is used. Google maps has a static map display instead of the dynamic map that will work well for this, and most mobile browsers should function well with it. If not, I'll create dedicated mobile apps.

spiritof76

imported post

I was just about to start a new thread specifically suggesting the idea and hoping that somebody out there would have the time and ability to code it. Well, apparently it's already been done. Great job and thank you!

One suggestion: The database should have it's own top-level URL for maximum impact. The subdomain at TheSecond.us is good but not ideal. It really should have it's own domain, and in the meantime a prominent link on the main TheSecond.us page. If you agree, I'll even donate the $$$ for the first two years' registration costs so you can set it up!

Edit: I've just been playing with this and am wondering if the Google based system you are using would allow for additional features if you wanted them. For example, to allow people to change their reviews, or associate forum-style discussions and comments for particular locations.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

spiritof76 wrote:
I was just about to start a new thread specifically suggesting the idea and hoping that somebody out there would have the time and ability to code it. Well, apparently it's already been done. Great job and thank you!

One suggestion: The database should have it's own top-level URL for maximum impact. The subdomain at TheSecond.us is good but not ideal. It really should have it's own domain, and in the meantime a prominent link on the main TheSecond.us page. If you agree, I'll even donate the $$$ for the first two years' registration costs so you can set it up!

Edit: I've just been playing with this and am wondering if the Google based system you are using would allow for additional features if you wanted them. For example, to allow people to change their reviews, or associate forum-style discussions and comments for particular locations.
Thanks for the kind words!

The reason I have it on a subdomain is there are more tools on the way, so I wanted to have a single location for all the sites to make it easy to see what's available.

I'll look into what URLs are out there and just do a redirect or mask it. If you find something you like that's available, PM me and I'll grab it.

Currently, with no log ins, there really isn't a way to easily allow editing the items. At a minimum, I'd have to collect an email address to be able to send an edit link. Or, I'd have to implement the usual account system with an id/password.

The idea was, if you had a good experience, rate it as such. Then, if you had a bad experience, go back and rate it again, negatively. The system tallies the ratings and displays the result. If there is a policy change at a location, I'm going to add a link to inform me of that so I can go in and quickly reset the rating.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll look around and see what top level domains are out there.

spiritof76

imported post

Sounds great. I'll see if I can think of something, too.

How involved of a process would it be to implement a username / password system? It's just my opinion but the added functionality might really encourage a lot of people to use the system.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I went ahead and got friendorfoe.us, as it was available, and I'll update that site to the latest version soon, and redirect the old address to the new one. Got to get a new API key for the google maps API, etc.

I also got a domain for another project that will be released soon, instead of using a subdomain.

I'm still open to suggestions for URLs though, so let me know if you come up with something.

The username and password is doable, but I'll probably add it once I get the next tool up, and make it optional.

spiritof76

imported post

Excellent, keep this thread posted with status. Once you have everything set up on the new domain, I will be able to help drive some traffic to your site.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are now almost 400 businesses reviewed, thanks to the efforts of many of you. Thanks!

I just updated the Friend or Foe Tool with a new, shorter URL and a couple features.

The new URL is http://friendorfoe.us so update any bookmarks you may have. The old URL will redirect if you access it.

Also, the map now fills the page horizontally, and displays up to 250 businesses, as far as 500 miles away. The map gets slower the more markers you add, so I didn't want to bog down anyone's browser unexpectedly.

I have a couple more features coming soon.

As always, feedback is welcome/appreciated. Thanks!

Michigander

imported post

My one submission, if I could have figured out how to do it, would be Hungry Howies on 7448 West Glendale Avenue, suite B100, 85303, in Glendale Arizona. It is the only place I've ever been kicked out of for carrying.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks M1Gunr!

Michigander wrote:
My one submission, if I could have figured out how to do it, would be Hungry Howies on 7448 West Glendale Avenue, suite B100, 85303, in Glendale Arizona. It is the only place I've ever been kicked out of for carrying.
I added it. Found it by searching for just "howies." Sometimes you have to play around with the wording to get it out of the google database.

Thanks for the info!