• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Green Bay...

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I have OC'ed in the past but not since this new chief took over. Not that I am scared I just haven't had a reason to go to GB. Maybe a walk through the NEW Zoo would be nice.

RugerMan

imported post

I live in GB, and the only OC I've done in the city is in my yard. Never had an issue.

I've personally written the Chief on the issue, and have never gotten a response.

However, if you do a google maps search for schools in Green Bay, it'd be next to impossible to go from point A to point B while armed without violating the 1000ft school law.

I don't think the Chief looks kindly on OC, but most GBPD officers are fine LEO's and I don't expect you'd run across a whole lotta pricks.

But, then again, we won't know till we try.

I'd like to try. In a group setting if possible.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

it'd be next to impossible to go from point A to point B while armed without violating the 1000ft school law.

Thats why transporting in your vehicle to a store and open carrying on private property is, in my opinion, one of the safest fool-proof places to exercise your rights and proliferate 'normalization' of the general public to open carrying.

SprayAndPray

imported post

I mow the lawn OC in the city of Green Bay sometrimes, But i have not had interaction with the cops yet.

NPH_1985

imported post

SprayAndPray wrote:
I mow the lawn OC in the city of Green Bay sometrimes, But i have not had interaction with the cops yet.
Don't you also live next to a sheriff's deputy?

I contacted GBPD last weekend about this. Specifically, I was looking at carrying at Wally World on the east side. There is a building within 1000ft owned & used by GBPS (its their food service building). I was interested to know if that counted as a "school" since I believe anything owned and/ore operated by a school is labeled as a school. The shift LT (forgot his name) did not know and suggested I not do it. His reasoning for that I'd be 'taken down' at gun point. Just one more reason I am opposed to OC (the practice, not the right).

AaronS

imported post

NPH_1985 wrote:
SprayAndPray wrote:

I contacted GBPD last weekend about this. Specifically, I was looking at carrying at Wally World on the east side. There is a building within 1000ft owned & used by GBPS (its their food service building). I was interested to know if that counted as a "school" since I believe anything owned and/ore operated by a school is labeled as a school. The shift LT (forgot his name) did not know and suggested I not do it. His reasoning for that I'd be 'taken down' at gun point. Just one more reason I am opposed to OC (the practice, not the right).
It does not sound to me like you are very opposed to OC, it sounds like you are scared to OC. With a cop telling you that he wants to take you down at gunpoint, I can see why. Iwould not let this cop stop me though. He is just doing his best to get you to not do it. I carry a few copy's of State Laws in my back pocket. If ever stopped, I will do my best to make sure that the cops understand that I have some idea ofour gun laws, and that fear will never come into play with me. In my mind, any cop that gives me a real hard time, is just a bad cop. By now, every cop in our state (that can read) knows all about 66.0409. Think about it, for most cops seeing 66.0409 exercised (by the people), is the biggest thing to happen in Wisconsin in a long time. A real long time...

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NPH_1985 wrote:
SprayAndPray wrote:

Wally world is private property and exempt from the 1000' school zone rule according to the statutes below. Also, as you can see, a food service building does not applyeither.
948.605 Gun−free school zones.
(1) DEFINITIONS. In this section:
(a) “Encased” has the meaning given in s. 167.31 (1) (b).
(ac) “Firearm” does not include any beebee or pellet−firing
gun that expels a projectile through the force of air pressure or any
starter pistol.
(am) “Motor vehicle” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (35).
(b) “School” has the meaning given in s. 948.61 (1) (b).

[align=left]948.61 Dangerous weapons other than firearms on[/align]
[align=left]school premises. (1)
In this section:[/align]
[align=left](a) “Dangerous weapon” has the meaning specified in s.[/align]
[align=left]939.22 (10), except “dangerous weapon” does not include any[/align]
[align=left]firearm and does include any beebee or pellet−firing gun that[/align]
[align=left]expels a projectile through the force of air pressure or any starter[/align]
[align=left]pistol.[/align]
[align=left](b) “School” means a public, parochial or private school which[/align]
[align=left]provides an educational program for one or more grades between[/align]
[align=left]grades 1 and 12 and which is commonly known as an elementary[/align]
[align=left]school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school or[/align]
[align=left]high school.[/align]
[align=left]

(c) “School zone” means any of the following:
1. In or on the grounds of a school.
2. Within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school.
(2) POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Any individual
who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual
knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone is
guilty of a Class I felony.
(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm:
1. On private property not part of school grounds;
2. If the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so
by a political subdivision of the state or bureau of alcohol, tobacco
and firearms in which political subdivision the school zone is
located, and the law of the political subdivision requires that,
before an individual may obtain such a license, the law enforcement
authorities of the political subdivision must verify that the
individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
3. That is not loaded and is:
a. Encased; or
b. In a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
4. By an individual for use in a program approved by a school
in the school zone;
5. By an individual in accordance with a contract entered into
between a school in the school zone and the individual or an
employer of the individual;
6. By a law enforcement officer or state−certified commission
warden acting in his or her official capacity; or
7. That is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while
traversing school grounds for the purpose of gaining access to
public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school
grounds is authorized by school authorities.
8. By a person who is legally hunting in a school forest if the
school board has decided that hunting may be allowed in the
school forest under s. 120.13 (38).
(3) DISCHARGE OF FIREARM IN A SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Any individual
who knowingly, or with reckless disregard for the safety of
another, discharges or attempts to discharge a firearm at a place the
individual knows is a school zone is guilty of a Class G felony.
(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the discharge of, or the
attempt to discharge, a firearm:
1. On private property not part of school grounds;
2. As part of a program approved by a school in the school
zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;
3. By an individual in accordance with a contract entered into
between a school in a school zone and the individual or an
employer of the individual; or
4. By a law enforcement officer or state−certified commission
warden acting in his or her official capacity.
History: 1991 a. 17; 1993 a. 336; 2001 a. 109; 2005 a. 290; 2007 a. 27.
[/align]

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wally world is private property and exempt from the 1000' school zone rule according to the statutes below. Also, as you can see, a food service building does not apply either.
In case you were looking for confirmation, this information is correct.

The police officer you spoke to was just trying to deter you from carrying. You are legal to do so and they know it.

The first time you OC will probably feel a little weird, people in WI have been brainwashed into thinking it's bad. However, the only way to change people perception of us to get out there and carry. Be polite to people and smile, the way you act will largely effect the way they respond/think of us.

Carry on!