• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCDL Article IV Debates

gluegun

imported post

romma wrote:
Officers/Board Of Directors
I think we've got this more or less wrapped up in a way that works for us.
[line]
Executive members: Currently VCDL has 52 EMs. They did not start that way, the took People that showed up at the initial meetings and voted them in. The number is fixed, but can be changed of the B.O.D. votes to do so.
I suppose this could be a possibility. It's certainly worthy of some discussion.
[line]
Also founders of VCDL were made permanent members written into the By-Laws to maintain the integrity of the Org.
I like this idea. You guys who got together initially to get this up and running would be ideal to make sure the focus of the organization doesn't stray too far from it's initial goals. At least, not without good reason.

He suggested we start out as a payed Org, even if it is $15 a year to give General Members a stake in the membership.
We've already agreed that we shouldn't force annual dues as a condition of membership. I'd like to keep it this way, but perhaps voting members should be required to pay annual dues as well as attend meetings/CCDL functions.

romma

imported post

Code:
We've already agreed that we shouldn't force annual dues as a condition of membership. I'd like to keep it this way, but perhaps voting members should be required to pay annual dues as well as attend meetings/CCDL functions.

This has never been made official by the Org.Most expressed a desire to at least start out this way to enticemembership. But serious gun owners that want their rights fought for may consider this:

Join The Movement

And Protect Your Rights

For less than a box of ammo

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

We all have to remember that our organization will soon be promoting who we are and to do it effectively it will take more money than we are taking in at meetings with just the donation process.

Investments need to be made in the T-shirts or whatever other promotional items we might want to use, so that we have them on hand to sell at whatever functions that we attend. (cost to attend functions also)

There are numerous costs involved with the operation of an org like ours.

Just the cost of the meeting space is $600 dollars a year, I know it is not huge dollars, but the donations for the hours cannot keep coming from a select few.

We have a tax ID# and we have to start generating revenue to keep us moving towards our goal of making ourselves known to our law makers and the general public.

Maybe my years in the corporate world makes me think to much about profit margins and such, however we have to put some thought into it to ensure our success.

gluegun

imported post

This has never been made official by the Org. Most expressed a desire to at least start out this way to entice membership.

I realize the constitution hasn't been adopted as a whole, but I thought the passage of the below quoted part at the last meeting implied it was largely agreed upon.

romma

imported post

Correct, it has not been passed as a whole and ratified. And in light of the wisdom passed along from an Org that has preceded us with much more experience and wisdom, I feel it should be considered.

Perhaps a grace period for members paying dues till the Org celebrates it's 1st anniversary, or voluntary dues till that anniversary. To get members on board.

Or voluntary dues and donations for membership with the understanding that the Org "May" sink financialy if we don't get mucho dontaions.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

gluegun wrote:
This has never been made official by the Org. Most expressed a desire to at least start out this way to entice membership.

I realize the constitution hasn't been adopted as a whole, but I thought the passage of the below quoted part at the last meeting implied it was largely agreed upon.

Article III: Finances (Read, discussed, voted on, and passed with alterations May 12, 2009) ... d. Dues shall be set by the executive board each year and shall be based on the needs of the organization. i. The organization may not, however, require dues from its members.
I do believe this was passed, and as you see highlighted in RED Dues can be set, and the organization MAY not require. I read this as leaving the door open to allow dues if so needed for the organization.

If I have misinterpreted the meaning in the way it has been written someone please correct me. Thanks

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

gluegun wrote:
I took it to mean that voluntary dues can be set, but paying dues will not be a condition of membership. I'm working on a more detailed response.

What are "voluntary" dues. Sounds like a donation, and in the case of a donation how could you set the actual value of it?

gluegun

imported post

Based on the rest of the by-laws at the time, it was the amount it took to become a voting member. It could also be the "suggested" donation amount. I was also under the impression that when Artivle IV came up for a vote, it would include language that Voting members would also have to have attended some number of CCDL events.

gluegun

imported post

I agree, we need to improve the cash flow into the organization. We also need to recognize that some people who truly want to support our organization may not be able to do so financially. At such an early point in this organization's life I think it's more crucial that we get the word out and gather members.

I have no problem with voluntary dues and I would support a policy of deferring the implementation of mandatory dues until Oct. 13 2009 or Jan. 12 2010. (Those should be the date for the first meeting of the Fiscal/Calendar years)

Whatever we decide, we need to make sure we work this all out before the final ratification of the by-laws.

[line]
Perhaps we can entice donations/voluntary dues by totaling the yearly costs of running the organization as we understand them to date and presenting that at the meetings along side of how much cash we have on hand and how much we expect to bring in. Yearly costs that we know about are meeting hall fees, state filing fees, web hosting fees, etc.

[line]
My suggestions as they relate to the Article as written:
  • We should specify the rights and responibilities of the Exec. members and Voting members. For example, Voting members can run or be appointed to any office described elsewhere. Voting members are allowed to vote during the general meetings and elections.
  • Voting members should be any member who has attended at least 6 meetings/CCDL organized events within the past calendar year and paid their annual dues.
  • Non-voting members should be any member not described in subsections A or B. Also, any member who has been sanctioned under Article VIII would be a non-voting member. Specify that non-voting members can't vote in general meetings, elections, or run for office.
  • Replace "Our membership" with "Membership" both in the Article title and in Section 1.
  • Do executive board members get a vote during general meetings, or just during executive board meetings?
[line]
Other suggestions:
The more I think about it, the more I don't like the idea of any member who meets the qualifications in subsection B to be a voting member. As we continue to grow in size it will become increasingly harder for us to maintain a quorum of voting members. I'm sure we can come up with some other ideas. Not to mention the idea of "buying" a vote.

I'm still in favor of making the founders permanent members. You guys deserve it. :D

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

I believe that it has been discussed that a voting member would not be determined by payment of membership dues so that a vote could not be bought.

nviper

imported post

since only voting members can be voted into office shouldn't there be something in there that to be voted into office you need to make a monetary donation or maybe a donation of time at events that could be equivalent?

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

romma wrote:
Code:
 This has never been made official by the Org.Most expressed a desire to at least start out this way to enticemembership. But serious gun owners that want their rights fought for may consider this:

Join The Movement

And Protect Your Rights

For less than a box of ammo
I do understand that there is some concern over the price. But come on here folks we are talking about $15 here!! A YEAR!!! You cant be a member of the NRA or the GOA or even the VCDL for that price a year. Even a student can come up with that kind of scratch. Its less than a box of .380 ammo these days (if you can find it).

And even at that price we would still have to rely heavily on cash donations. 

At $15 a year and with our membership of (25 people now) is only $375!!!!
This doesn't even cover the rent on the ELKS Hall at $600 a year.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Unlike Scarlet O'Hara we can't continue relying on the kindness of strangers... We are paying $50 a shot to the Elks, filing fees, and although the Tee-shirts make money, the scratch for those comes out of a pocket before reimbursement.

Sooner or later we are either going to have to come up with a super duper fund-raising method (such as Ed talked about) or implement dues. I agree with my eminent colleague Lenny that $15 is NOT a huge imposition.. if it was, then you'd not be able to buy a box of ammo, etc.

Ed set the bar for putting ones money where ones mouth is, how do we acknowledge such a comittment ? How do we build from that?

Lots to think about but without a reliable income stream we will dry up.

Robert

romma

imported post

Interesting debate. Maybe some hybrid combination of membership dues, and generosity of those members that are dedicated to fighting the forces that would deny us our natural rights.

So far, so good as far as members that are active chipping in. But, when we want to print flyers in three colors and rent a PO Box, by next month, we'll see where we stand.

The next meeting is covered by Lenny and myself. The funds donated by members last month may go towards a PO Box that we will need for sure.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Scott,

In the morning I will check on a few things at the post office. To see if forwarding and xfer of ownership or location is possible.

One quick question, to all, I can identify every poster to this thread except one.

Forgive me if I should already know, Glue gun, who are you?

Identification of each other on this forum really helps when we are in person at our meetings.

Thanks

romma

imported post

10-4 Lenny. I need to shake off this holiday sluggishness.

I think as far as the By-Laws go, we may have reached the pinnacle of on-line discussion. Too complicated and a real-time debate is what is needed IMO, at least till we get Voting Policy, CCDL Membership and Committee structure out of the way.

I have tried on two different computers to open the VCDL By-Laws, and Phillip resent them to meand it still won't work. Whatever file he is sending iscorrupt it would seem.