• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need some advice...

Gilly

imported post

First, some background.

I visit the Wiclo/Hess gas station near my house at least once a day. I have OC'd there almost daily for a year (as has my wife.) I had never been told I coundn't and there are no signs prohibiting it. I go in one day while crrying openly and the cashier asks if I'm a cop. I reply that I'm not. He tells me I cannot carry in the store unless I'm a cop. I tell him I've been doing it for a year with no complaints and there are no signs. He tells me he always thought I was a cop. I state I'm not a cop but am military (hence the haircut.) I then state I'll talk to the manager and if it's prohibited I'll shop elsewhere. A few days later I talk with the manager (her grandson plays baseball with my son) and she tells me there is no store or corporate policy against it and that I'm good to go. I never mentioned who I had the issue with.

Now onto my current problem. Starting the day after my talk with the manager and almost every day since when I see him he mentions my weapon, whether it's visible or not. He's polite and overly friendly, but I don't like being called out about it, especially when I'm concealing. It's always stuff like "where's your friend at" or "haven't seen you with your gun in a while" while motioning towards my strong side. I play it cool but really wish he wouldn't flag me like that. What should I do?

FogRider

imported post

Politely ask him to stop. If he doesn't, talk to the manger again. If you're feeling harassed, it's pretty much harassment, something most employers frown upon.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Offer to take him to the range. Once he's experienced it he'll stop being so fascinated by it. You might even end up winning overone for our team.

rady8um

imported post

You could always respond with "Hey, I haven't seen you hanging around the playground asking kids to help you find your puppy"! :shock:

Of course, that might get you banned from the store, but I bet he'll leave you alone after that.

Statesman

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Offer to take him to the range. Once he's experienced it he'll stop being so fascinated by it. You might even end up winning overone for our team.
Dangit stylez, you are quick on the draw. I was going to suggest this.

+1

Harness his newfound interest, and each time you come in and he mentions it, tell him you'd be willing to let him have a try at the range, after some basic training and safety instruction of course. Taking him to the range will desensitize him, and perhaps convince him to start carrying.

Carnivore

imported post

I wouldn't even give him a reply, strictly business!! Buy and leave. But I would try to have a transaction with him and management present at the same time, and see if he continues his game, and at that point I'd rat his candy ass out to his boss, and at the same time let mgmt know this idiot has been harrassing you for some time now.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Maybe you should ask the cashier if the sight of you with a gun on your hip turns him on? He may not like the incenuation. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm a little curious why you are bothered by his remarks. When we OC we are putting it out there for anyone to see.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
I wouldn't even give him a reply, strictly business!! Buy and leave. But I would try to have a transaction with him and management present at the same time, and see if he continues his game, and at that point I'd rat his candy ass out to his boss, and at the same time let mgmt know this idiot has been harrassing you for some time now.
Much as I hate to admit it Styles has the best response so far. Now I have a similar situation but it involves the neer-do-wells that hang around the convenience stores I visit. Sometimes I am unarmed for one reason or another (often having to do that really, carrying a firearm is a big pain in the rear). When one of these creeps asks me where my weapon is, I just say, "I decided not to show it today" This has initioated more than one sotto voce discussion among the panhandlers of whether I have an IWB or ankle holster. Once it is commonly known that you carry, a lot of problems are averted just on your rep for being prepared.

So, here's what IMO you might say: (clerk) "Where is your - um - friend today? (you): "A little shy. Sometimes she likes to stay out of sight. I mean, how would YOU like perverts ogling you?" Okay, maybe tone it down a bit. But don't make a BFD out of it. Because that is what the idiot wants.

Gilly

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
I have offered to take him to the range but he hasn't taken me up on it.He said he has a Beretta 92 at home, too.

Gilly

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Maybe you should ask the cashier if the sight of you with a gun on your hip turns him on? He may not like the incenuation. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm a little curious why you are bothered by his remarks. When we OC we are putting it out there for anyone to see.
You may be right. He doesn't seem to bother my wife the same way! ;) I'm bothered by it because when I do conceal, it's for a reason. Then he announces to everyone within earshot that I'm armed (or unarmed). Look at it this way. If every day I came in and paid for my drink and snack by peeling a $100 bill off the wad in my pocket, I would not want him to mention it every time I walked in the store. I wish he would use a little discretion, you know?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Gilly wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
I have offered to take him to the range but he hasn't taken me up on it.He said he has a Beretta 92 at home, too.
$10 says that gun only exists in CounterStrike.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The guy at the Sam's club in Newport News does the Same to me... I have never thought anything nefarious or threatening about him doing this... He told me he has several guns but is afraid to wear them...

Don Barnett

imported post

He's probably just trying to be friendly (you didn't mention his tone of voice). I would't get too upset about it.

thx997303

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Gilly wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
$10 says that gun only exists in CounterStrike.

Just politely ask him to stop, and if he doesn't, then take it up with management.

And I LOL'ed at that one.

Gilly

imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
He's probably just trying to be friendly (you didn't mention his tone of voice). I would't get too upset about it.
He's been perfectly friendly for as long as I've known him.

Carnivore

imported post

Just reply to him after his inquiry, (YEP I'M ARMED TODAY),( AND NOW THE ARMED PATRON IS LEAVING THE STORE!!)( I HOPE THERE IS ANOTHER ARMED PATRON IN THE STORE.)( BECAUSED THIS ARMED PATRON IS NOW LEAVING THE STORE!!):what:

Don Barnett

imported post

Both my kids swam in a summer swim league and now I have a granddaughter who is on the team. I have always volunteered my time, especially as the team photographer. Everyone knows me and knows that I like shooting...occasionally, I CC at a meet. One day, I arrived at a Saturaday meet late, and several of the officials came running up to me and said: "Hey, there is a guy with a gun up here...it was on his hip with a towel wrapped around it, and the towel fell off and he didn't put the towel back on it all the way." I reasoned with them that it was better on his person, than left unattended at his picnic spot. They were really asking me for advise as to what to do about it. Another volunteer, an off duty LEO also agreed with me...just don't worry about it unless he leaves it unattended. I was not carrying that day.

The next week, I was CC and when I came to the pool, one of the officials came up and in a joking manner, frisked my and said: "OK, what are you packing today?" Of course, he quickly found out that I WAS packing...and he just laughed.

The bottom line now...they are less afraid of people and guns.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gilly wrote:
Don Barnett wrote:
He's been perfectly friendly for as long as I've known him.
Friendly can still be dumb as a box of hammers. And dumb can be dangerous. I relate to the OP. But that's life. At least he's not an anti....

If you offer no reaction, he'll eventually get tired of it. It's an amusement park ride. You go on it 40 times in a row.........

You've tried to get him tot eh range, you've given him the speech, etc... He's just an obnoxious moron.

Offer to buy his '92, no matter what he says, offer him a "shiny nickel." Do this every time you see him, remind him that the shiny nickel is still available.... Be sure you're the first one to speak. "What? You don't want to sell your gun to me!" Really loud.

When dealing with the childish, they often only understand the same.

Yes, I yell at crying babies too. It may not be 'socially acceptable,' but it works like a charm.