• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Were to find OC laws for Fairbanks Alaska

Lightning 2003

imported post

My name is John T and I am originally form Texas and have grown up around guns my whole life. Both my parents and my sisterhave their CCLinTexas. I have been stationed in Alaska for about ayear now and Love this place more then Texas. I have a lot of questions about OC Laws. I have looked for the laws for OCin Fairbanks Alaska and have not been able to find any. Is there a printable handout likeother states have? Also I am a NCO in the Air Force and I don't want to break any Laws. What is considered open carry? If I have a jacket on and you can see the bottom of the holster is that ok. Can You have one in the chamber? Basically I have neveropen carried a gun any were, but the woods, and I have never CC a gun any were.I would like to start OC that is if I can get it past myBoss (Wife) Thank you in advance for your help.

spyderdude

imported post

Alaska has complete preemption for concealed and open carry. No town or municipality may pass stricter gun laws than what is law at the state level. If you are 21 or older you may carry concealed without a permit, but the good thing is, the permit program is still in place. I don't think you would be allowed to carry on a military installation though unless you get permission from the base commander which I doubt. Even if you're carrying concealed and your holster shows, it won't matter, most people would fail to notice anyway.

What is considered open carry?

Exactly as it sounds, the wearing of a firearm in plain sight.

Yes you may carry a loaded and chambered pistol.

Don't take my word for it though because I'm no lawyer, but from my research about this, that is what I found. If you're still not 100% convinced that this is true, contact a local attorney's office.

Welcome to Alaska!

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hi John, and welcome to OCDO. I'm not the resident expert here, but I wanted to at least get you what information I know. Others can fill in details later.

The reason you can't find open carry laws is because it's something that's not prohibited, therefore there is no law stating what you CAN do legally. For example, there's no law on the books that says you cannot wear a red shirt, so you can deck yourself out in crimson clothing without fear of arrest. Open carry is a RIGHT, and CC (in most states) is a privilege that is regulated and fees charged for the exercise of it. Alaska is one of two states that recognizes all legal firearm use as a right instead of a privilege, and therefore you can carry concealed if you wish, subject to restrictions from the federal government and any local laws that may apply. (BTW, I am not a lawyer.)

Since you're in the Air Force you have a whole other set of restrictions that I know nothing about, so someone else will have to get you up to date on that.

Good luck, and again, welcome!

Baradium

imported post

What the others said. It doesn't matter whether part of your holster shows or not since open carry is legal.

So as long as you are doing an activity where open carry is legal, you're fine.

You'll have to visit statewide laws to see the regulations on open and concealed carrying. They tend to make sense so it's pretty easy to figure out.

I think there is a blip about places that serve alcohol regarding needing to concealed carry vs open, but I don't have the specifics on that. (anyone?)

As others said, you have to register your weapon if you live on base, but i'm sure you know the AF regs. As long as you keep the weapon off base you're fine.

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

spyderdude wrote:
Alaska has complete preemption for concealed and open carry. No town or municipality may pass stricter gun laws than what is law at the state level. If you are 21 or older you may carry concealed without a permit, but the good thing is, the permit program is still in place. I don't think you would be allowed to carry on a military installation though unless you get permission from the base commander which I doubt. Even if you're carrying concealed and your holster shows, it won't matter, most people would fail to notice anyway.

Don't take my word for it though because I'm no lawyer, but from my research about this, that is what I found. If you're still not 100% convinced that this is true, contact a local attorney's office.

Welcome to Alaska!

Spyderdude I just noticed this while going over some old threads and became curious so I took another look at the statures.

Title 11 says it is legal to carry at age 16 (14 with parents consent) and it does not specify open or concealed.

11.61.220. Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person

(1) knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon, that is concealed on the person;

(2) knowingly possesses a loaded firearm on the person in any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises;

(3) being an unemancipated minor under 16 years of age, possesses a firearm without the consent of a parent or guardian of the minor;

Title 18 (deals only with permit holders) says you must be 21 to get a permit, Since we don't need a permit I read the statute as anyone not prohibited can carry either OC or CC at the age of 16.

Am I reading this correct?

Baradium

imported post

Alaskan Shooter wrote:
spyderdude wrote:

Welcome to Alaska!

Spyderdude I just noticed this while going over some old threads and became curious so I took another look at the statures.

Title 11 says it is legal to carry at age 16 (14 with parents consent) and it does not specify open or concealed.

11.61.220. Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person

(1) knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon, that is concealed on the person;

(2) knowingly possesses a loaded firearm on the person in any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises;

(3) being an unemancipated minor under 16 years of age, possesses a firearm without the consent of a parent or guardian of the minor;

Title 18 (deals only with permit holders) says you must be 21 to get a permit, Since we don't need a permit I read the statute as anyone not prohibited can carry either OC or CC at the age of 16.

Am I reading this correct?
I can't give you anything specific right now, but IamconfidentI saw a reference to CC being limited to a higher age group... When I have a chance I'll try to find it again unless someone else beats me to it.

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

The only place I can find the reference is in title 18 which doesn't apply unless you have a permit.

I might have missed something in title 11 but I went over it several times just to make sure. If you see something I missed please let me know.

Tom

aadvark

imported post

No problem, I will use the following argument to verify the Legality of Open Carry in Alaska concerning a Loaded Handgun:

1. Law is a written Code in which Man is to live by

2. Criminal Law is written to punish certain kinds of unlawful behavior, that which is against the good order of the Community and the diginity of their Citizens

3. Criminal Law is not written to merely prevent, but rather prohibit

4. Likewise, in similiar vein, Civil Law is written to provide, not merely promote

5. To that end if a certain conduct under Criminal Law, Open Carry of a Loaded Handgun, is not made Unlawful, thus prohibited, then, it seems to me, that, nothing stands in the way of Open Carry of a Loaded Handgun.

In fact, Alaska allow both Open Carry and Concealed Carry without any Permit whatsoever. Currently, Vermont is the only other State that does so. However, other States may soon join suit, as Arizona has just filled similiar Legislation that is called: 'Constitutional Carry'.

Criminal Lawtells you what youcan notdo, not what you can do. That is why it is called'Criminal' Law. Under Common Law jurisdictions what is not Prohibited, is, in fact, Legal under Common Law jurisprudence.

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

aadvark wrote:
No problem, I will use the following argument to verify the Legality of Open Carry in Alaska concerning a Loaded Handgun:

1.  Law is a written Code in which Man is to live by

2.  Criminal Law is written to punish certain kinds of unlawful behavior, that which is against the good order of the Community and the diginity of their Citizens

3.  Criminal Law is not written to merely prevent, but rather prohibit

4.  Likewise, in similiar vein, Civil Law is written to provide, not merely promote

5.  To that end if a certain conduct under Criminal Law, Open Carry of a Loaded Handgun, is not made Unlawful, thus prohibited, then, it seems to me, that, nothing stands in the way of Open Carry of a Loaded Handgun.

In fact, Alaska allow both Open Carry and Concealed Carry without any Permit whatsoever.  Currently, Vermont is the only other State that does so.  However, other States may soon join suit, as Arizona has just filled similiar Legislation that is called:  'Constitutional Carry'.

Criminal Law tells you what you can not do, not what you can do.  That is why it is called 'Criminal' Law.  Under Common Law jurisdictions what is not Prohibited, is, in fact, Legal under Common Law jurisprudence. 

Thanks, but I wasn't trying to " verify the Legality of Open Carry in Alaska". I know both OC and CC are legal, I was trying to verify the age limit to CC because it was stated that you have to be 21. I am pretty sure that you only have to be 16 unless you have a permit. If you get a permit you must follow the laws pertaining to that permit.

aadvark

imported post

In Alaska a Person commits an Offense of Illegal Possesion of Firearms in The Fifth Degree whenever a Person: 1. Being an Unemancipated Minor, beingunder 16 years of age, possesses a Weapon without the consent of The Rightful Parent or Guardian [of said Minor Child].

Whenever a Child [under 16 years of age] carries a Weapon, He must have the permisson of His Parent or Guardian, per Alaska Code AS11.61.220(a)(3).

In order to conceal, without a Permit, the Person must be atleast 21 yearsold, per Alaska State Code AS11.61.220(a)(6), however; this does not apply to Peace Officers of Alaska, per AS11.61.220(h)(1), AS11.61.220(h)(2)(A), AS11.61.220(h)(2)(B), and AS11.61.220(h)(3).

A Person may be a PeaceOfficer in Alaska at age: 21 Years Old,per Alaska State Trooper pagelocated at Alaska Department of Public Safety-Online.

aadvark

imported post

Actually... Alaska has revamped their Weapons Codes.

The earlier version was Title 11 Chapter 55.

However the newer version is Title 11 Chapter 61 Codes Sections 200-250.

This happened in 1978, according to The Alaska State Legislature.