• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self Defense is Murder

PT111

imported post

Murder: The unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse.
Big thing there is what is justification or excuse. That is defined differently even from state to state in the US much less the world.

Don Quijote

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
hansolo wrote:
Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Moral relativism is a serious problem with modern day liberals. The Taliban is no different than the US Government, and a mass murderer who kills for fun is no different than a man or woman who defend themselves from bodily harm with deadly force. Everyone is the same, they just have different views on the world and nobody's view is any better or worse than anyone else's view.

Moral relativists should be institutionalised as they are too stupid and dangerous to participate in society.
All relativism is poison. Truth is absolute.
Nothing is absolute.

Interesting statement. The term "nothing" is in and of itself an absolute statement.

MuellerBadener

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
hansolo wrote:
Moral relativism is a serious problem with modern day liberals. The Taliban is no different than the US Government, and a mass murderer who kills for fun is no different than a man or woman who defend themselves from bodily harm with deadly force. Everyone is the same, they just have different views on the world and nobody's view is any better or worse than anyone else's view.

Moral relativists should be institutionalised as they are too stupid and dangerous to participate in society.
Nothing is absolute.
Wrong! Everything is absolute; If anything appears grey, then you're not looking at it closely enough. Look closely enough (i.e. get enough facts) and eventually you'll find the point at which Black &White separate.

Relativism is the lie that has been destroying our civilization for the past century and a quarter.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

MuellerBadener wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
hansolo wrote:

Nothing is absolute.
Wrong! Everything is absolute; If anything appears grey, then you're not looking at it closely enough. Look closely enough (i.e. get enough facts) and eventually you'll find the point at which Black &White separate.

HAHAHHAHAAHA!!!

That made my day.

Quite the contrary -if everything appears black and white, you aren't looking hard enough.

MuellerBadener

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
MuellerBadener wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:

Nothing is absolute.

HAHAHHAHAAHA!!!

That made my day.

Quite the contrary -if everything appears black and white, you aren't looking hard enough.
Stylez, if you had agreed with me I might have questioned my position.Your contradiction affirms my stance.

Don Barnett

imported post

I am a retired Marine who taught in a public school (8th Grade Math). Alot of the older teachers who began their careers in the late 60s and early 70s were (and still are) liberal. The Adminstrators went along with the "party line" that all guns were bad. THEN, myself and another teacher (the Science Teacher on my team- who is also a shooter and reloader) invited two of the Administrators to the range. And THEY HAD A BLAST!!! This changed their entire attitude about guns; and I even became the de facto gun expert in my school; once having the Principal come into my class to cover it, while she sent me to the office in order to identify a replica magazine some kid had in his locker (they still are not allowed to have anything that looks like a gun). I got them to change theword: "Clip" to "magazine" on the report.

Afterwards, we took many of the other teachers (some older ones) to the range, and they also changed their attitudes.

Invite others to go shooting with you...it is good for the cause.

thx997303

imported post

I remember something that happened in Utah, a kid had brought a full magazine of .40 to school.

No firearm, just rounds. While I wonder how the kid got a hold of the magazine, other than that perfectly harmless.

But it was all over the news, saying how deadly this was and all that.

Morons.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hansolo wrote:
Aristotle said, "Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
Sure, but what about ignorance? I think AWDstylez's point was that we are being ignorant when we think that everything our government does is moral and everything our government opposes is immoral. No, we should not tolerate the killing of our innocent civilians through a rationale of moral or cultural relativisim, but neither should we accept the killing of everyone our government targets as moral and justified.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

centsi wrote:
hansolo wrote:
Sure, but what about ignorance? I think AWDstylez's point was that we are being ignorant when we think that everything our government does is moral and everything our government opposes is immoral. No, we should not tolerate the killing of our innocent civilians through a rationale of moral or cultural relativisim, but neither should we accept the killing of everyone our government targets as moral and justified.

Whoa! Hey! Someone gets it!!

Don't stress it. The implications of my terrorism comments went MILES over their heads.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
centsi wrote:
hansolo wrote:

Don't stress it. The implications of my terrorism comments went MILES over their heads.
I think a lot of OCers get it, but sometimes the temptation to write-off contrarian comments as liberal trolling are too strong. There is a big difference between between defending "American values" and defending American actions abroad.

hansolo

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
imported post

I agree with you both, centsi and AWDstylez. The full Aristotle quote is, "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." Apathy and ignorance are in the same boat. Patrick Henry says it well:

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."

We should always question our government and its actions.

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

America is morally wrong in almost everything it's done in the last ten years. That's a fact.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

centsi wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
centsi wrote:
hansolo wrote:

I think a lot of OCers get it, but sometimes the temptation to write-off contrarian comments as liberal trolling are too strong. There is a big difference between between defending "American values" and defending American actions abroad.

You're like my new best E-friend or something. When you post... the stuff actually makes sense.And, what's more amazing, it's actually spot-on.