Thread: Tax deductions for MOC expenses?

Post imported post

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/obje...3/111/262/ART/

I was reading the above link, and I was thinking, once official MOC memberships are available, we could probably write off all kinds of expenses under the proper circumstances. Gas, MOC shirts or other apparel intended to identify us to the public at events, table rental fees at gun shows or other events, and maybe even bigger expenses like retention holsters, handguns, and magazines.

Not being quite sure where MOC is right now with getting membership status's going, and not knowing much about tax deductionsI thought I'd ask about this. Is there anyone here who is real smart with tax rules, as well as how MOC's non profit staus will qualify for deductions?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/obje...3/111/262/ART/

I was reading the above link, and I was thinking, once official MOC memberships are available, we could probably write off all kinds of expenses under the proper circumstances. Gas, MOC shirts or other apparel intended to identify us to the public at events, table rental fees at gun shows or other events, and maybe even bigger expenses like retention holsters, handguns, and magazines.

Not being quite sure where MOC is right now with getting membership status's going, and not knowing much about tax deductionsI thought I'd ask about this. Is there anyone here who is real smart with tax rules, as well as how MOC's non profit staus will qualify for deductions?
    MOC is a MICHIGAN non-profit. It does not have federal non-profit status YET! We are looking into it, but the fee to apply is $300, so until we get some more capital that will have to wait.

I will say that a board meeting was held Sunday and our goal is to have a website up at least for memberships and merchandise by Memorial day. The by-laws are 99% finished with just a few touch-ups and a final review.

MOC'ssite will be a work in progress. The site is basic and I hope user friendly. It will have links to all kinds of information with Board officers and director's email contact info. It will have a link to this forum, but at this time it will not have an independent forum. One is More than enough.

Once we get federal non-profit status we can get a Michigan gaming license and have raffles, etc. for fund raising. AND then volunteers can take the IRS tax deductions. GOOD find Michigander, thanks.

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Good luck with that.

The NRA is characterized as a non-profit organization (one of the largest in the country) and members cannot deduct dues or cost of merchandise. According to the IRS, apparel deductions may be granted only when the clothing is not suitable for wear outside of the intended purpose. For instance, if you buy a MOPP suit because you're in the Army, you can probably deduct it... but if you buy a black tie or patent leather shoes to go with your dress uniform, you probably can't because they can be worn outside of duty.

As for retention holsters and firearms... if these items are not necessary to the performance of your job, you will likely be denied the ability to deduct the cost. Owning a weapon is a right, not a requirement.

Edited to Add: The cost to rent tables and booths at trade shows and expo's, on the other hand, are probably deductible. In fact, they are likely deductible already if they are paid for through MOC, Inc... whether it's non-profit or not.

Post imported post

Uniforms are iffy and meaningless, but if MOC had bylaws that officially required adult members to be armed at certain times during officially sanctioned group activities, then it would absolutely be a requirement. Additionally, MOC could require other things be on hand at official meetings, like at least one person with a voice recorder, and retention holsters could be required. (not hard to arrange since everyone I've ever seen at a meeting minimally has a holster with a strap on it)

I believe police write off equipment as an expense, and I don't see how we couldn't either, if we are officially required to have it as MOC members.

This stuff obviously isn't for me to decide, and I might be totally wrong about how these deductions could work, but I'm just throwing my ideas out there. :?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Veritas wrote:
    Good luck with that.

The NRA is characterized as a non-profit organization (one of the largest in the country) and members cannot deduct dues or cost of merchandise. According to the IRS, apparel deductions may be granted only when the clothing is not suitable for wear outside of the intended purpose. For instance, if you buy a MOPP suit because you're in the Army, you can probably deduct it... but if you buy a black tie or patent leather shoes to go with your dress uniform, you probably can't because they can be worn outside of duty.

As for retention holsters and firearms... if these items are not necessary to the performance of your job, you will likely be denied the ability to deduct the cost. Owning a weapon is a right, not a requirement.

Edited to Add: The cost to rent tables and booths at trade shows and expo's, on the other hand, are probably deductible. In fact, they are likely deductible already if they are paid for through MOC, Inc... whether it's non-profit or not.
    The IRA tax deduction is not for members it's for volunteers. A volunteer may or may not be a member of the organization. And it sound like volunteers can get certain deductions, what those deductions are is up to the IRS.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    Veritas wrote:
    Good luck with that.

The IRA tax deduction is not for members it's for volunteers. A volunteer may or may not be a member of the organization. And it sound like volunteers can get certain deductions, what those deductions are is up to the IRS.
    For those of you who are interested and want to research it, remember too that "EMPLOYEES" and "VOLUNTEERS" are treated differently.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.