• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Public Radio reports on Operation Carryland

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Did an interview with Wisconsin Public Radio. I don't have realplayer, so I can't listen to the actual story, but here is a transcript with a link to the audio:

http://clipcast.wpr.org:8080/ramgen/wpr/news/news090519gh.rm

[align=center]
Group wants right to brandish firearms within school zones By Gil Halsted
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
[/align]
(STATEWIDE) There's a movement afoot in Wisconsin to reduce restrictions on people who openly carry firearms in public places. It's called “Operation CarryLand”. The group’s goal is to repeal a law that makes it a felony to carry a gun openly within a thousand feet of a school.
“Operation CarryLand” has begun an online petition calling on the Governor and the legislature to repeal a state statute that makes it a felony to openly carry a gun in your vehicle or on your person within 1,000 feet of a school.
Nik Clark of New Berlin is a spokesman for the group. He says many gun crimes in Milwaukee take place close to schools licensed gun owners aren't allowed to protect themselves.
"Criminals are ignoring this as we speak, and so the repeal of this thousand-foot school zone would simply give law abiding citizens the right to protect themselves and enjoy the same rights that a person that doesn't live within a school zone does."
But gun control advocates say allowing open carry of guns near schools isn't likely to improve public safety.
"More guns in more places leads to more danger and more gun deaths,” counters Jeri Bonavia, who heads the Milwaukee-based Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort (WAVE). “So whether we're talking about open carry or concealed carry, a thousand feet from a school or not, none of this gum carrying is going to make us safer."
So far about 700 people have signed the online petition calling for the repeal of the school zone open carry restriction. The group hopes to get a legislator to sponsor a bill to repeal the law and failing that to find opportunities to challenge it in court.

So a couple of innaccuracies. First, I like the slanted headline "Group wants right to BRANDISH firearms in school zone." um, no, we want the right to CARRY guns within a school zone. Whats this "brandishing" business all about?

Second, "He says many gun crimes in Milwaukee take place close to schools licensed gun owners aren't allowed to protect themselves. "

Not what I said. I said many crimes take place within school zones, I explained that if you look at a map of milwaukee and all the school zones and where violent crime takes place. Most is within a school zone. And I never said a word about "licensed" gun owners. I said "law abiding gun owners" aren't allowed to protect themselves.

Moving on, I think the "opposing view" comment is funny:
More guns in more places leads to more danger and more gun deaths,” counters Jeri Bonavia, who heads the Milwaukee-based Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort (WAVE). “So whether we're talking about open carry or concealed carry, a thousand feet from a school or not, none of this gum carrying is going to make us safer."

Well thats just not true Jeri. Within a WEEK of the AG memo someone DID defend themselves within a school zone down in Racine. Safer... YES! Who knows what would have happened to the guy if he didn't have a gun.

I think with the slanted headline, misquotes, I should contact Gil and suggest that they have me on for a live interview instead of a phone interview that they regurgitate and misquote me.

Can anyone listen to the link and tell me if they actually use audio of the phone interview I did?

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

At least they made look like they tried to put sides of the story in there, yet neither as you saidwere accurate.

More guns in more places leads to more danger and more gun deaths,” counters Jeri Bonavia, who heads the Milwaukee-based Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort (WAVE). “So whether we're talking about open carry or concealed carry, a thousand feet from a school or not, none of this gum carrying is going to make us safer."

^ Wow is this guy serious? What statistics does he have to back that up, I can't even believe they would put that part on the radio.....

I don't have real player either, thats crazy how much they misconstrewed your words! Yeah go for it contact him, he owes you big time for what they did!

Ben

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Contact them (on-line contact form on the bottom of their home page http://www.wpr.org/) & demand that the inflammatory anti-2nd Admendment reporting cease.

Afterall, WPR is"Supported by Listeners Like You."

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wonder if Jeri of "WAVE"has done an analysis of how many Milwaukee gun deaths are drug related?

patriotguy

imported post

Great job, Nik!

The anti-gun types like WAVE merely want to take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Again, their position is based upon emotion, not facts.

"More guns in more places leads to more danger and more gun deaths,” counters Jeri Bonavia, who heads the Milwaukee-based Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort (WAVE). “So whether we're talking about open carry or concealed carry, a thousand feet from a school or not, none of this gum (sic) carrying is going to make us safer."

Really? Prove it. When OC and CC laws are passed, crime decreases. That is a fact that can be proven. I will concede this point: If she had said "More guns in the hands of criminals in more places leads to more danger and more gun deaths,” I would agree with her.

My point is that anti-gun organizations try to equate law abiding gun owners with criminals in relation to gun crimes.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Did an interview with Wisconsin Public Radio. I don't have realplayer, so I can't listen to the actual story, but here is a transcript with a link to the audio:

I will be calling WPR and this is exactly what I will be saying:

Brandishing – No one said anything about brandishing any fire arms.

The 2[sup]nd[/sup] Amendment states that the people have an individual right to keep and bear arms and this right shall not be infringed. The school zone law is unconstitutional in that it infringes on those rights and so does the transportation law.

Nik Clark of New Berlin is a spokesman for the group. He says many gun crimes in Milwaukee take place close to schools licensed gun owners aren't allowed to protect themselves.
"Criminals are ignoring this as we speak, and so the repeal of this thousand-foot school zone would simply give law abiding citizens the right to protect themselves and enjoy the same rights that a person that doesn't live within a school zone does."

Mr. Clark said that many criminals commit gun related crimes in school zones and the school zone law prohibits law abiding citizens from carrying a fire arm for protection against such crimes.
Mr. Clark did not say licensed gun owners he said law abiding gun owners.

But gun control advocates say allowing open carry of guns near schools isn't likely to improve public safety.
"More guns in more places leads to more danger and more gun deaths,” counters Jeri Bonavia, who heads the Milwaukee-based Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort (WAVE). “So whether we're talking about open carry or concealed carry, a thousand feet from a school or not, none of this gum carrying is going to make us safer."

What about the guy in Racine, who saved himself from harm because he was exercising his 2[sup]nd[/sup] Amendment rights? The fire arm did keep him safer!

What about Columbine or V-tech? If any one of the teachers or adult students in those schools had been carrying a fire arm it is inevitable that the outcome would have been different. In the case of Columbine we sure could not count on the response by the police. They waited outside why the rampage went on until the two suspects killed themselves. If that is their definition of protect and serve then I am fine with protecting myself.

Ms. Bonavia has no facts or statistics to support her claims.

I demand that you have a Live interview with Mr. Clark, so he may address this blatant attempt at a scare tactic WPR is using to instill fear in the minds of otherwise unknowing citizens.

It is obvious that Mr. Halsted has a personal agenda here and is not in support of the 2nd Amendment rights of Americans. If WPR says it is not true then lets have that interview. I am positive that Nik Clark would be up for it.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
hugh jarmis wrote:

I will be calling WPR and this is exactly what I will be saying:

Brandishing – No one said anything about brandishing any fire arms.

The 2[sup]nd[/sup] Amendment states that the people have an individual right to keep and bear arms and this right shall not be infringed. The school zone law is unconstitutional in that it infringes on those rights and so does the transportation law.

Mr. Clark said that many criminals commit gun related crimes in school zones and the school zone law prohibits law abiding citizens from carrying a fire arm for protection against such crimes.
Mr. Clark did not say licensed gun owners he said law abiding gun owners.

What about the guy in Racine, who saved himself from harm because he was exercising his 2[sup]nd[/sup] Amendment rights? The fire arm did keep him safer!

What about Columbine or V-tech? If any one of the teachers or adult students in those schools had been carrying a fire arm it is inevitable that the outcome would have been different. In the case of Columbine we sure could not count on the response by the police. They waited outside why the rampage went on until the two suspects killed themselves. If that is their definition of protect and serve then I am fine with protecting myself.

Ms. Bonavia has no facts or statistics to support her claims.

I demand that you have a Live interview with Mr. Clark, so he may address this blatant attempt at a scare tactic WPR is using to instill fear in the minds of otherwise unknowing citizens.

It is obvious that Mr. Halsted has a personal agenda here and is not in support of the 2nd Amendment rights of Americans. If WPR says it is not true then lets have that interview. I am positive that Nik Clark would be up for it.
Here is the response I received from this call and email:

Open Carry story‏ From:
i_yellowshield.gif
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk Sent: Thu 5/21/09 11:08 AM To: j.gleason@hotmail.com Mr. Gleason: Thanks for taking the time to contact us about your concerns about a story you apparently saw on our Web site. Gil Halsted had no role in using the word, "brandishing." The word does not appear in the script, nor was it said on the air. It was chosen (poorly) as a headline by the person who posts our stories on the web. I've told him in no uncertain terms that he needs to be careful in choosing his words, and have pointed out that 'brandish' is not a synonym for 'openly carry.' I don't believe that Gil has a personal agenda in his reporting. His story reflects that different groups and individuals see the issue differently. There is enough to be said on both sides of this issue (and maybe there are more than two sides) that it can't all fit into a 90-second newscast story. I don't know if our talk programs department is planning a program on this issue, but I recommend Nik Clark as a guest. Thanks again for taking the time to write, and I hope you can accept my apology for our posting of a poorly-chosen word on the web version of our story. [align=left]-----------------------------------------------[/align] [align=left]Michael Leland[/align] [align=left]News Director[/align] [align=left]Wisconsin Public Radio[/align] [align=left]821 University Av[/align] [align=left]Madison WI 53703[/align] [align=left][/align] [align=left]Phone: 608-263-7928[/align] [align=left]Fax: 608-263-5838[/align]