• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

JUST IN, HOUSE PASSES NATIONAL PARK CARRY, OBAMA EXPECTED TO SIGN INTO LAW!!!!

thx997303

imported post

Now isn't the problem the other credit card bill that was submitted?

Obama could easily veto this one and sign the one without this ammendment.

I guess the best thing would be for the two bills to be merged into one.

thx997303

imported post

Really? Where would I find the wording on both of them, according to an article I read, the other one didn't have the ammendment.

Of course, the article was from a major media outlet. So, grain of salt I guess.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Really? Where would I find the wording on both of them, according to an article I read, the other one didn't have the ammendment.

Of course, the article was from a major media outlet. So, grain of salt I guess.
Correcting my post here, nothing was submitted to the president at all until the house vote.

GWbiker

imported post

The Brady Campaign site was asked to comment on Congressional House passage of the Credit Cards/guns in Parks bill...

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thx997303 wrote:

Don't have the wording, but there here is the proof:

http://gunowners.org/a052009.htm

"As it stands today, both houses of Congress have now passed the Coburn amendment -- and President Obama is expected to sign the provision into law (only because it is part of a larger credit card bill that he really wants). "

Nothing was ever submitted to Obama in the first place. They had to hammer out the differences between the two bills before even thinking about shipping it off the president.

What you are thinking of is the House version of the bill from a few days ago which indeed did not have the National Park Amendment in it.

Today the Senate and House hammered out the differences in he bill and submitted only one version of the bill to the President. Therein, two versions were not submitted.

What was on the chopping block was whether the House would strip out the Coburn Amendment in the final version of the bill.

They did not.

And now Obama has a single bill on the way to his desk that carries the Coburn Amendment.

You don't have just one part of Congress submitting something to the President.

Both houses must vote on the bill.

While each part of Congress can have it's own version of the bill, both sides must agree on a single version before something can be sent to the President

PT111

imported post

He could veto this bill but to get another one ready for his signature would probably take a year or more so. This was the only version that made it through either house and for the House to strip the parks amendment would have meant sending it back through the Senate and probably a very long delay. If Obama wants a credit card bill any time soon he has to sign this one.