Thread: Do you ever get children asking you questions?

Post imported post

I walk my German Shepherd back through the roads here in McLean and wonder in and out of roads. There are a good few kids that play in the street and ride bikes around. A good few stop and ask me about my dog and a few astute ones ask me about my firearm (some wide eyed) - they typically are more observant than adults IMO!

Seems that kids haven't picked up all the biases that adults have. They really have no fear of them. Don't ask "why do you NEED a gun" - well they do but not the way adults do.

I can just imagine the conversations with their parents later "omg a gun! :what:"

I did see one boy sticking out of his parents suburban who got more wide eyed than one could imagine when he saw my 1911!

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    I walk my German Shepherd back through the roads here in McLean and wonder in and out of roads. There are a good few kids that play in the street and ride bikes around. A good few stop and ask me about my dog and a few astute ones ask me about my firearm (some wide eyed) - they typically are more observant than adults IMO!

Seems that kids haven't picked up all the biases that adults have. They really have no fear of them. Don't ask "why do you NEED a gun" - well they do but not the way adults do.

I can just imagine the conversations with their parents later "omg a gun! :what:"

I did see one boy sticking out of his parents suburban who got more wide eyed than one could imagine when he saw my 1911!
    Could be that they're closer to eye-level with your gun than the adults :P

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I get kids ask me all the time.. I give them an OC card (which they LOVE)
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I get most kids asking me bout my German Shepherds and if they are cop dogs or drug dogs( mostly older kids ask about drug dogs). I've never been asked about the gun,firearm,pistol,weapon whatever it gets called on here these days.

Semper Fi

Post imported post

Just the recent incident at Patrick Henry Mall (about a week before we were asked to leave because we were OCing).

While strolling through the food court, we saw a young mother with 3 or 4 young kids. One of them sees my daughter Bridget's Glock 21 on her right hip and YELLS at the top of his lungs

"MOMMA! MOMMA! SHE GOT A GUN! SHE GOT A GUN!

MOMMA, SHE GOT A GUN!!!"

We kept walking normally through the mall and didn't have any other :whatn that trip. A week later, as we passed a group of older teenagers I suspected of having CONCEALED weapons in their pants that were hanging lower than their buttocks, One of them said out loud "They think they be cops, they be carrying GUNS!"

We ignored the scumbags and proceeded into Spencers. We were in there for about 10 minutes and when we came out, we were approached by an elderly (unarmed) mall security guard. He said it was against mall policy to carry in the mall. We left and were followed all the way to the car, even though he thought he was being discreet and slick about it.

I guess they don't want to loose any business from the criminal element that comes there to buy their "bling", saggy pants and oversized baseball hats.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

I had a little girl who was trading some kisses with my dog (4 years old, maybe - germs didn't seem to hurt the dog at all!) tell one of her friends who asked why I OC'd "So he can shoot BAD people, stupid!". No wonder my dog liked her so much - smart kid!

Post imported post

Could be that they're closer to eye-level with your gun than the adults
    At an open carry event at Fosters in Vienna, I had a woman approach me because her son and daughter wanted to knwo why there were so many of us carrying guns.

I don't think that mom even noticed.

Post imported post

With the big fancy polished "chrome 9 Yo!" (responce from wanna be gang bangers @ mc auther) alot of little ones point out to there parents that I'm carrying. It seems they are facinated with it and stare allot.

One really stands out in my mind though. I was eating at the blue cactus on Warwick in Newport news, and one of the children told his dad, "hey look dad, he's got a gun, he's keeping us safe from bad guys!". It made me smile.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Out of the mouths of babes............and kids say the darnedest things both come to mind.

Generally the younger ones are the most open with their curiosity. Had a young boy bring his younger brother over to see this evening at a local restaurant. They stood a respectful distance away whispering - I smiled - they smiled and ran back to momma. Turns out that "momma" knew my GF. Ended up having a very nice conversation with their party but my OC was not even mentioned.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

When I was working armed security at the outlet mall in VB. Kids come up to me and one asks if my gun is real. I said yes.

"Well my Dad says you guys can't carry real guns. It's not real."

I pull out the magazine and show him the cartridges, which were unfortunately Glasers (blue plastic tip).

"See, they are fake bullets." He walks off.

Some days you just can't win...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

Seems to me like children notice my firearm about twice as often as adults do. I have had a few ask me if the gun was real, a few others have asked why I carry. I simply respond with "It is my duty as a father and husband to protect my children and my wife."

Gives them something to think about and ask their father what he does to protect them.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Renegade wrote:
    Seems to me like children notice my firearm about twice as often as adults do. I have had a few ask me if the gun was real, a few others have asked why I carry. I simply respond with "It is my duty as a father and husband to protect my children and my wife."

Gives them something to think about and ask their father what he does to protect them.
    I like that response! It is my duty....to protect.......those I love and cherish.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

The kids in the neighborhood always ask me how fast my bike goes.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

I always get "is your dog mean, does he bite"?

My reply, "no he's not mean, all dogs bite".

They never ask about my firearm.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I was walking into an apartment complex a few weeks ago with my sidearm in one of those square black belt pouches. Some little kid says, "Hey you got a gun in there." He was right. Freaky.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!