• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you ever get children asking you questions?

hsmith

imported post

I walk my German Shepherd back through the roads here in McLean and wonder in and out of roads. There are a good few kids that play in the street and ride bikes around. A good few stop and ask me about my dog and a few astute ones ask me about my firearm (some wide eyed) - they typically are more observant than adults IMO!

Seems that kids haven't picked up all the biases that adults have. They really have no fear of them. Don't ask "why do you NEED a gun" - well they do but not the way adults do.

I can just imagine the conversations with their parents later "omg a gun! :what:"

I did see one boy sticking out of his parents suburban who got more wide eyed than one could imagine when he saw my 1911!

tag

imported post

hsmith wrote:
I walk my German Shepherd back through the roads here in McLean and wonder in and out of roads. There are a good few kids that play in the street and ride bikes around. A good few stop and ask me about my dog and a few astute ones ask me about my firearm (some wide eyed) - they typically are more observant than adults IMO!

Seems that kids haven't picked up all the biases that adults have. They really have no fear of them. Don't ask "why do you NEED a gun" - well they do but not the way adults do.

I can just imagine the conversations with their parents later "omg a gun! :what:"

I did see one boy sticking out of his parents suburban who got more wide eyed than one could imagine when he saw my 1911!
Could be that they're closer to eye-level with your gun than the adults :p

wheelerXD

imported post

I get most kids asking me bout my German Shepherds and if they are cop dogs or drug dogs( mostly older kids ask about drug dogs). I've never been asked about the gun,firearm,pistol,weapon whatever it gets called on here these days.

Semper Fi

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Just the recent incident at Patrick Henry Mall (about a week before we were asked to leave because we were OCing).

While strolling through the food court, we saw a young mother with 3 or 4 young kids. One of them sees my daughter Bridget's Glock 21 on her right hip and YELLS at the top of his lungs

"MOMMA! MOMMA! SHE GOT A GUN! SHE GOT A GUN!

MOMMA, SHE GOT A GUN!!!"

We kept walking normally through the mall and didn't have any other :what:eek:n that trip. A week later, as we passed a group of older teenagers I suspected of having CONCEALED weapons in their pants that were hanging lower than their buttocks, One of them said out loud "They think they be cops, they be carrying GUNS!"

We ignored the scumbags and proceeded into Spencers. We were in there for about 10 minutes and when we came out, we were approached by an elderly (unarmed) mall security guard. He said it was against mall policy to carry in the mall. We left and were followed all the way to the car, even though he thought he was being discreet and slick about it.

I guess they don't want to loose any business from the criminal element that comes there to buy their "bling", saggy pants and oversized baseball hats.

Tacitus

imported post

I had a little girl who was trading some kisses with my dog (4 years old, maybe - germs didn't seem to hurt the dog at all!) tell one of her friends who asked why I OC'd "So he can shoot BAD people, stupid!". No wonder my dog liked her so much - smart kid!

Glock27Bill

imported post

Could be that they're closer to eye-level with your gun than the adults
At an open carry event at Fosters in Vienna, I had a woman approach me because her son and daughter wanted to knwo why there were so many of us carrying guns.

I don't think that mom even noticed.

GQflyboy

imported post

With the big fancy polished "chrome 9 Yo!" (responce from wanna be gang bangers @ mc auther) alot of little ones point out to there parents that I'm carrying. It seems they are facinated with it and stare allot.

One really stands out in my mind though. I was eating at the blue cactus on Warwick in Newport news, and one of the children told his dad, "hey look dad, he's got a gun, he's keeping us safe from bad guys!". It made me smile.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Out of the mouths of babes............and kids say the darnedest things both come to mind.

Generally the younger ones are the most open with their curiosity. Had a young boy bring his younger brother over to see this evening at a local restaurant. They stood a respectful distance away whispering - I smiled - they smiled and ran back to momma. Turns out that "momma" knew my GF. Ended up having a very nice conversation with their party but my OC was not even mentioned.

Yata hey

paramedic70002

imported post

When I was working armed security at the outlet mall in VB. Kids come up to me and one asks if my gun is real. I said yes.

"Well my Dad says you guys can't carry real guns. It's not real."

I pull out the magazine and show him the cartridges, which were unfortunately Glasers (blue plastic tip).

"See, they are fake bullets." He walks off.

Some days you just can't win...

Renegade

imported post

Seems to me like children notice my firearm about twice as often as adults do. I have had a few ask me if the gun was real, a few others have asked why I carry. I simply respond with "It is my duty as a father and husband to protect my children and my wife."

Gives them something to think about and ask their father what he does to protect them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Renegade wrote:
Seems to me like children notice my firearm about twice as often as adults do. I have had a few ask me if the gun was real, a few others have asked why I carry. I simply respond with "It is my duty as a father and husband to protect my children and my wife."

Gives them something to think about and ask their father what he does to protect them.
I like that response! It is my duty....to protect.......those I love and cherish.

Yata hey

Marco

imported post

I always get "is your dog mean, does he bite"?

My reply, "no he's not mean, all dogs bite".

They never ask about my firearm.

Wooley

imported post

The um, youth, in my area run around in circles yelling "he got a pistol!". No joke.

My favorite days are when I'm unloading my plate carrier and all my gear from the trunk and walking in the house with it. They don't really know what to ask then.

paramedic70002

imported post

I was walking into an apartment complex a few weeks ago with my sidearm in one of those square black belt pouches. Some little kid says, "Hey you got a gun in there." He was right. Freaky.