• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Information & Education = Understanding

WARCHILD

imported post

I will leave the font alone to conserve space. I really don't know where to begin, but after a conversation I had with a friend today; I have to get it out.
I will probably start a s**t storm and get flamed, but oh well.
I see the Mich. forum heading into a self destruct mode. It seems no one can post anymore without the armchair quarterbacks jumping in with a flame job on how "they should have done it". I have seen this issue growing more common in the year + that I have been a member and it really puts us in a bad light for a group supposedly out to educate and inform the un-informed. It appears as members learn, they tend to think they now know the best way for someone to handle any situation that may occur.
WRONG! Unless you were there and involved, don't profess to know what the "Best" way to handle the issue is! Hind sight is always 20/20 and never very useful after the fact. You may have noticed, I haven't been posting as much in the last few months; save the occasional update for the talk show. It has been because of this issue of the second guessing that's going on. The most recent being with members who OC and get second guessed when they post their experience (myself included). If they are posting their experience and not asking for ideas on how they may have handled it differently...SHUT AND KEEP YOUR QUARTER BACKING TO YOURSELF! If you truly think they made a mistake...PM them and discuss the issue. Then if the OP wishes to expand on it in the posting...so be it..their choice.
We all have good intentions and mean well to educate those who need it. We are all hopefuly aiming for the same goal...un-restricted rights of the 2A.
Why then are so many pages of a post being used up discussing how someone "SHOULD" have handled the situation. I gave up even reading most post. There's not much in them except "You should have", "Why didn't you", or "You should'nt have" comments. And with this size font, it's not worth reading it with my old eyes.
I guess I'll jump off the box for now. Maybe this will make a difference, maybe not. If not I may resolve to just be another fade away and lurk till things get better.
Jerry

WARCHILD

imported post

There "should" be a difference but lately they blend together and become nothing but full critical analysis of the posting. That's the purpose of my suggestion of PM-ing the "constructive critisism" to quell any expansion to multiple full flame posts.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

1st rule: Don't sweat the small shit.

2nd rule: Everything is small shit.

Try not letting it get to you Jerry. It's human nature to MMQB and who know it does give us ideas on how to handle things at a later date if the need arises.

WARCHILD

imported post

True, and I'm not sweating the small stuff. I have grown a pretty thick skin over the years. All I'm saying is if the OP is merely making a post of his/her experience and NOT asking for opinion's...Don't choke up the thread with opinion's. After all opinion's are like armpits...everyone has two or more and some usually stink.

ghostrider

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
True, and I'm not sweating the small stuff. I have grown a pretty thick skin over the years. All I'm saying is if the OP is merely making a post of his/her experience and NOT asking for opinion's...Don't choke up the thread with opinion's. After all opinion's are like armpits...everyone has two or more and some usually stink.

Thanks for bringing this up Jerry. I personally am of an extremely analytical nature, so I have to be cautious about such things. It's always helpful when someone mentions it.

P.S.

I have been having problems with the font also. Ironically, someone on another post told me how to change my browser so that the font does not look so small. And, I don't even have to use the three-point font anymore. :D Here I thought I was posting in larger font to be polite to those who have older eyes, and finally someone told me it wasn't necessary.

Good thing too, because that teeny tiny font hurts my eyes.

Michigander

imported post

We don't have an official leader, and we don't have rules. We give each other advice, and sometimes we get argumentative.

I believe this is as it should be, because as you yourself pointed out Jerry, after the police chief had detained you, we take on an incredibly large responsibility when we carry. If we didn't have serious, and some times heated discussions about the way things need to get done, we'd be lesser people for not taking carrying firearms seriously enough. One lapse of caution, 1 little screw up with one of the 4 rules, and someone can die. 1 little misunderstanding of a law, and one or more of us goes to prison. Carrying a gun is as serious of a thing as a person can do, and most of us do it daily.

As a rule in life, I agree that small stuff should never, ever drive you crazy. But in this lifestyle, the small stuff can turn your life upside down, or simply end it. We must never lose sight of that when we arm ourselves.

As far as disagreements, it is important to always remember that we have our opinions, but as long as laws and the interpretations of those laws are properly understood, no one here is right or wrong, because everyone is free to use whatever methods they want. This is a strictly volunteer community, where no one is ever required to or prohibited from doing anything. We have people from every walk of life, and every political spectrum on this forum. We are united ONLY in that we approve of open carrying.

I personally do agree that it gets tiresome when people here bicker on and on about something that already happened, and that is why I often just stay out of it. If a thread doesn't interest me, I simply avoid it. But if others have something they need to hash out, then that's something I'm going to stand back and let them do. But yeah, continuously hounding someone for their own decisions is rather rude. If someones mind is made up for sure, that means back the hell off and leave that person alone.

Basically, what I'm getting at with this rant is that huge varieties of opinions are to be expected, and for the most part not something that will make us any weaker as a group. Our stated goal is only to empower people across the state to learn the law, and open carry if they wish to. And we're doing that very effectively.

Haman J.T.

imported post

Michigander wrote:
We don't have an official leader, and we don't have rules. We give each other advice, and sometimes we get argumentative.

I believe this is as it should be, because as you yourself pointed out Jerry, after the police chief had detained you, we take on an incredibly large responsibility when we carry. If we didn't have serious, and some times heated discussions about the way things need to get done, we'd be lesser people for not taking carrying firearms seriously enough. One lapse of caution, 1 little screw up with one of the 4 rules, and someone can die. 1 little misunderstanding of a law, and one or more of us goes to prison. Carrying a gun is as serious of a thing as a person can do, and most of us do it daily.

As a rule in life, I agree that small stuff should never, ever drive you crazy. But in this lifestyle, the small stuff can turn your life upside down, or simply end it. We must never lose sight of that when we arm ourselves.

As far as disagreements, it is important to always remember that we have our opinions, but as long as laws and the interpretations of those laws are properly understood, no one here is right or wrong, because everyone is free to use whatever methods they want. This is a strictly volunteer community, where no one is ever required to or prohibited from doing anything. We have people from every walk of life, and every political spectrum on this forum. We are united ONLY in that we approve of open carrying.

I personally do agree that it gets tiresome when people here bicker on and on about something that already happened, and that is why I often just stay out of it. If a thread doesn't interest me, I simply avoid it. But if others have something they need to hash out, then that's something I'm going to stand back and let them do. But yeah, continuously hounding someone for their own decisions is rather rude. If someones mind is made up for sure, that means back the hell off and leave that person alone.

Basically, what I'm getting at with this rant is that huge varieties of opinions are to be expected, and for the most part not something that will make us any weaker as a group. Our stated goal is only to empower people across the state to learn the law, and open carry if they wish to. And we're doing that very effectively.
I agree with you 100% Michigander. I know this is an educational site for those who want to know the truth of OCing and there are times when things are hashed out. My hope is that those who come to this site are able to keep focus on what they came here to learn and come to understand all they need to know to freely exercise there life saving rights . Those with fears of OCing may be able to overcome their fears or at least be able to deal with them in order to protect their very lives. This site provides more info on the subject than any other and without the education you can get here some may very well choose to not protect themselves at all. I believe the mission of this site is to inform citizens of their legal right to arm and defend as Article 1 Sec. 6 states, " Every person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of HIMSELF and THE STATE ". HIMSELF always comes first! Educating LEO's and citizens is an absolute need in this state and this nation of freedoms and rights! Therehas beenno other nation like ours on this earth in recorded history!

T Vance

imported post

Before I started OCing I was on this site reading for several weeks. I read all of the personal experience post, read all the information threads, and watched several videos on how you should handle yourself when dealing with an LEO during an OC encounter. Even after reading and watching all that, and even having all the things printed up and in my pocket regarding how to handle a situation I stll ended up doing it the way my instincts told me to handle that situation. All the information in the world wasn't able to over ride my brains natural instincts on how to handle myself in that particular situation.

Forsome of us we might think that by "cooperating" with an LEO might be the way to go, or some might think to not say a word to them, or some might think to get sassy with an LEO. If a person decides to handle that situation in one or more of these mannors then that is up to that person.

I agree with Warchild on this one. Lately I have been skipping certain post because all I have been seeing is alot of "quoting" and red font and I don't have time to sit here and read all of that. But that's how I'm choosing to handle the situation because my instincts told me so. :celebrate

ruger45

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
I will leave the font alone to conserve space. I really don't know where to begin, but after a conversation I had with a friend today; I have to get it out.
I see the Mich. forum heading into a self destruct mode. It seems no one can post anymore without the armchair quarterbacks jumping in with a flame job on how "they should have done it". I have seen this issue growing more common in the year + that I have been a member and it really puts us in a bad light for a group supposedly out to educate and inform the un-informed. It appears as members learn, they tend to think they now know the best way for someone to handle any situation that may occur.
WRONG! Unless you were there and involved, don't profess to know what the "Best" way to handle the issue is! Hind sight is always 20/20 and never very useful after the fact. You may have noticed, I haven't been posting as much in the last few months; save the occasional update for the talk show. It has been because of this issue of the second guessing that's going on. The most recent being with members who OC and get second guessed when they post their experience (myself included). If they are posting their experience and not asking for ideas on how they may have handled it differently...SHUT AND KEEP YOUR QUARTER BACKING TO YOURSELF! If you truly think they made a mistake...PM them and discuss the issue. Then if the OP wishes to expand on it in the posting...so be it..their choice.
We all have good intentions and mean well to educate those who need it. We are all hopefuly aiming for the same goal...un
-restricted rights of the 2A.
Why then are so many pages of a post being used up discussing how someone "SHOULD" have handled the situation. I gave up even reading most post. There's not much in them except "You should have", "Why didn't you", or "You should'nt have" comments. And with this size font, it's not worth reading it with my old eyes.
I guess I'll jump off the box for now. Maybe this will make a difference, maybe not. If not I may resolve to just be another fade away and lurk till things get better.
Jerry
you took the words right out of my mouth jerry.i have not posted in a long time because of this.and some people on this sight know that and why.jerry you nailed this one right on the head thank you!!!!!!!:celebrate

Veritas

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
We all have good intentions and mean well to educate those who need it. We are all hopefuly aiming for the same goal...un-restricted rights of the 2A.
Jerry
Why didn't you post this in a different color to get more attention?

You shouldn't have told us to shut up.

You should remove the bold text because it looks like you're yelling.

And I'm just messin' with ya. :p

autosurgeon

imported post

Personally I try to refrain from giving advise on thing like OC police interactions that other members post... I will proffer support and sympathy for the inconvenience... but other than that :? And my reason is just what Warchild cited... I was NOT there so how can I possibly know all of what went on...

Now if it's a vehicle problem I will have an opinion:lol: