• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested for NO ID because he rode bicycle on sidewalk

yankees98a

imported post

http://www.myfoxny.com/subindex/news/investigative
or
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/investigative/090520_The_Vanishing_Husband_and_the_NYPD

The guy rode his bicycle on the sidewalk. He left his ID at home so the police arrested him. They wouldn't allow him to call long distance to his wife's cell phone (had a PA area code) or use his cell phone to call her.

She called the police to report him missing and they told her we don't look for missing adults.

Can a person really be arrested for No ID for a BS crime?

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

You can be arrested for eating a ham sandwich on Sunday while dressed in a tuxedo, so long as the Officer is willing to state that he believes there must be a law against such activity. That doesn't mean you violated any law, or ordinance, or that you'll be convicted.

This webpage may be helpful: Rights, NY

Technically, he was operating a vehicle (and I believe, said vehicle must be operated on the public roads, not sidewalks just like any other vehicle), and according to the law he must show his license to operate said vehicle if such license is issued. (yeah, sounds screwy to me, too.:banghead:)

Jared

imported post

You should NOT carry ID at all times. You are only obligated to have ID when doing something that would otherwise be illegal without a license ie. driving a car, carrying a pistol etc. The Supreme Court has rules TWICE on this matter. Kolender v Lawson and Hibel v. 6th Judicial Cir. of Nevada. NYPD's "policy" of taking people in who do not have ID on them can subject them to a 42 USC 1983 lawsuit. I hope this guy drains the bank accounts of every officer involved in this nonsense. NYPD is not above the law. The Supreme Court has spoken.... not once but TWICE on this issue.

I tried to email this message to the reporter but the website has technical issues. I'm tired of this abuse. It gives LEO's a bad name... even more it's upsetting that New York thinks the consitution and Supreme Court rulings to not apply to them. Hopefully this guy files a lawsuti (probably won't) so by the time it is done the offenders will barely have enough money to ride a bike of their own to work.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Assuming everything the guy said is true, and he did not give consent, then it sounds like the police unlawfully searched him by searching his bag before making the decision to arrest.

Now let's assume NY is not like Virginia (where officers generally MUST release on summons provided the accused states his name and address) and gives officers discretion to arrest in lieu of summons or somthing similar - then arresting the man, was lawful.

This is why gun owners need to keep their eye on police procedure type statutes.

DT4E31

imported post

A person can be arrested in lieu of a summones if the officer is not satisfied that the person is properly identified. For example I am going to get a ticket for riding a bike with no headlamp. I identify myself at Mickey Mouse of 124 Main st.Disney Fla.