• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Parks Law

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Hunting is not a problem if you have a Hunting License! However if you do not have one then keep it in the holster! Oh and no carrying long guns in a state park or federal land without a hunting license! That is a good way to lose your gun and vehicle and spend time with bubba!

Not true. You can target shoot on state land with no hunting license, as long as you have an identifiable and artificial backstop. And, of course are not attempting to take game.

[size="-1"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font][/size][size="-1"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]License Requirement - Possession of Firearms and Bows and Arrows
A person taking or attempting to take game and in possession of a firearm, slingshot or bow and arrow must have the appropriate hunting license with them and the identification used to purchase that license and exhibit both upon demand of a Michigan Conservation Officer, a Tribal Conservation Officer or any other law enforcement officer.
A hunting license is not required when target practicing or sighting-in a firearm at an identifiable, artificially constructed target, and there is no attempt to take game. A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper, hiker or person engaged in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game.
[/font][/size]

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31578--,00.html

autosurgeon

imported post

If the state land has a range you can use it true... however you may not just go about setting up your own range on state land.

Federal land has slightly diff rules one where you may or may not target shoot.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
If the state land has a range you can use it true... however you may not just go about setting up your own range on state land.

Show mea citeabout target shooting on state land. I was under the impression that you can target shoot on state land, regardless of a DNR range. I need a cite please.

We use to shoot on state land all the time, we just had to have a safe background and we could cut down or destroy trees and brush. The pit in Lapeer is on state land and it's not a DNR "range".

PDinDetroit

imported post

Venator wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

Show mea citeabout target shooting on state land. I was under the impression that you can target shoot on state land, regardless of a DNR range. I need a cite please.

We use to shoot on state land all the time, we just had to have a safe background and we could cut down or destroy trees and brush. The pit in Lapeer is on state land and it's not a DNR "range".
I will have to look up the exact references later, but this is what I understand for Target Shooting:

National Forest: Yes - http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/27896.html
National Park: No
State Game Area: Yes, with specific restrictions set on a per area basis
State Forest: Yes, with specific restrictions set on a per area basis
State Park: Yes, Only in designated ranges
State Recreation Areas: Yes, Only in designated ranges

Question posted on AskDNR: http://midnr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/MiDNR.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=*Gmk6kDj&p_lva=&p_faqid=2504&p_created=1019573471&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTEwMSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXRhcmdldCBzaG9vdGluZyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Also:

Email from DNR to shoot at the pit in Lapeer

Re: Seeking information
Date: 7/24/00 2:41:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From: DNR-LED-RAPLAW@state.mi.us (DNR-LED-Report All Poaching DNR-LED-Report All Poaching)
To: DTDRONE@aol.com

You may target practice with an identifiable backdrop on any State owned land that is not a State Park or posted "no shooting". Target shooting is not covered by conservation law and therefore there are no closed seasons or curfews for target practicing on State lands. What you may want to pay notice to are areas where there are hikers, campers, bikers or horseback riders--these folks may also use State lands.

DNR Law Enforcement
Communications Section

autosurgeon

imported post

It is true that you can shoot other than where a backstop has been provided.. however you better be absolutely sure what you are shooting into. If you hit someone... One other thing I highly doubt you can go out and start mowing lanes and cutting down trees. I would look into that before I would do that!

The pit is perfect BC it is a safe recessed area. There are also places up north of Big Rapids that are safe to shoot BC of natural backstops.. I however would want to be absolutely sure of my backstop... one mistake and the poky here I come!

autosurgeon

imported post

I just spoke with a Conservation Officer named Mike in Lansing. He said while it is legal to target shoot.. Trap, Skeet, rifle, Handgun, Bow... that destruction of public property is NOT legal. Also you need to clean up any debris that is left when you are done.

Destruction of public property would include but is not limited to putting targets on trees and shooting them, Shooting branches off trees, shooting at official DNR installed signs.

You must have an earthen backstop if you are shooting handguns or rifles, Shotgun or Bow not required unless in the case of the shotgun you are shooting 0 buckshot or slugs.

I asked him where the law is on this and he stated that it is not a law but rather a forest management mandate. Whatever that is?? I think it must be a DNR rule made by them that is allowed in the Law that chartered the department of natural resources.

Anyway what he said made sense seemed fair so I didn't argue with him about it.

Oh and I asked his last name but managed to forget it before I got this typed:cuss: I am terrible at remembering names....

T Vance

imported post

I sent these questions to the DNR back in March. Here is what I emailed, and the response I recieved.

Email To: DNR

"According to State Law, it it legal to carry a registered holstered pistol in public so long as it is plain view and recognizable as a firearm without a CPL/CCW. When you are carrying either openly or concealed is there a restriction on how many rounds that magazine may hold?

Is it legal to target practice on state land with a pistol?

Is it legal to hunt varment on state land with a pistol?

Is there a limit to the amount of rounds a pistol, rifle, and shotgun may have in it while hunting for small game?

Response from DNR:

Response (Terry Cook) - 03/30/2009 02:32 PM
1. Although not a natural resources issue, we can advise that federal law 18USC Sec 922, which prohibited an individual from having a firearm with a clip holding over 10 rounds, was repealed effective September 1, 2004. There is no legal restriction on number of rounds a clip may hold currently in place.

2. Yes, it is legal to target shoot with a pistol on those state lands where target shooting is permitted. Target shooting is allowed year around on state forest lands and state game and wildlife areas unless specifically posted closed to entry, target shooting or the discharge of firearms at the site. State Park and State Recreation Lands are closed to target shooting except at designated shooting ranges.

3. Yes, it is lawful to hunt most small game (except waterfowl and wild turkey) with a pistol on those state lands open to hunting. There are no firearm or caliber restrictions for DAYTIME predator hunting (raccoon, oppossum, fox, and coyote) EXCEPT during the November firearm deer season. NIGHTTIME predator hunting is restricted to only a .22 or smaller caliber RIMFIRE rifle or handgun, or shotgun with loads other than buckshot, slug, ball or cut shell, or bow and arrow.

Finally, in both open carry and concealed situations, you should be aware that MCL 750.234d states that you cannot possess any firearm in a depository financial institution, a church or other house of religious worship, court, theatre, sports arena, day care center, hospital or an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, unless that possession is with the permission of the owner or his/her agent of the entity.

Michigan DNR
Law Enforcement Division"

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

T Vance wrote:
Finally, in both open carry and concealed situations, you should be aware that MCL 750.234d states that you cannot possess any firearm in a depository financial institution, a church or other house of religious worship, court, theatre, sports arena, day care center, hospital or an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, unless that possession is with the permission of the owner or his/her agent of the entity.

Michigan DNR
Law Enforcement Division"
I would probably politely remind them that that statement is not entirely accurate. And also that open carry with a cpl is lawful in all pistol free zones. Unless of course you are asked to leave private property.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the
possession
of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
b) A peace officer.
c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession
is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.