Thread: Coming in from out of state, need advice on legal carry.

Old Saybrook, CT

Post imported post

Hi all,

I'm going to be coming into Maine for a shooting class. I will be bringing a pistol to the class. I'm from CT and have a valid New Hampshire pistol permit.

After the class I am sure we will want to grab some dinner in Maine. I have an ethical problem storing a gun in a car unattended.

Is it legal for me to carry concealed outside of the car in Maine? I'm talking about keeping it in the trunk while driving, then taking it with me.

Based on this thread:

it sounds like it is legal.

I dont really care if its a functioning weapon. I'm generally not worried while in Maine. Its mainly my belief that I have a responsibility to always secure my weapons, and locked in a trunk is not secure.

p.s. I did an overnight in MA for the S&W winter nationals. There was an event at the Springfield Armory museum that I didn't want to miss. There was no way I was going to leave my Glock in the hotel room or my car. I was with 2 CT cops so it wasn't a matter of protection. So I stripped the gun down to the frame and brought that with me.

I was probably technically committing a fellony, but as my cop friend said, anybody who would arrest you for carrying that around with you needs his head examined.

I'm prepared to strip the gun down if thats what it takes.
    MCS Precision - Training, Sales, Transfers, Estate Purchases

07 FFL
    NRA Pistol and Rifle Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Delaware County, New York, USA

Post imported post

You can open carry or you can get a Maine concealed carry permit. I believe this is the best way to go because you live only a few states away and Maine has excellent vacation opportunities. Check the various websites on CC reciprocity as well.

Yours is not a very difficult problem to overcome. If you wanted to do the same in NY or NJ, that would be a different matter entirely.