• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming in from out of state, need advice on legal carry.

dcmdon

imported post

Hi all,

I'm going to be coming into Maine for a shooting class. I will be bringing a pistol to the class. I'm from CT and have a valid New Hampshire pistol permit.

After the class I am sure we will want to grab some dinner in Maine. I have an ethical problem storing a gun in a car unattended.

Is it legal for me to carry concealed outside of the car in Maine? I'm talking about keeping it in the trunk while driving, then taking it with me.

Based on this thread:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum27/25180.html

it sounds like it is legal.

I dont really care if its a functioning weapon. I'm generally not worried while in Maine. Its mainly my belief that I have a responsibility to always secure my weapons, and locked in a trunk is not secure.

Thanks,

Don

p.s. I did an overnight in MA for the S&W winter nationals. There was an event at the Springfield Armory museum that I didn't want to miss. There was no way I was going to leave my Glock in the hotel room or my car. I was with 2 CT cops so it wasn't a matter of protection. So I stripped the gun down to the frame and brought that with me.

I was probably technically committing a fellony, but as my cop friend said, anybody who would arrest you for carrying that around with you needs his head examined.

I'm prepared to strip the gun down if thats what it takes.

WheelGun

imported post

You can open carry or you can get a Maine concealed carry permit. I believe this is the best way to go because you live only a few states away and Maine has excellent vacation opportunities. Check the various websites on CC reciprocity as well.

Yours is not a very difficult problem to overcome. If you wanted to do the same in NY or NJ, that would be a different matter entirely.